Music For Labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am building up my I-Tunes and want suggestions. What do you plan to listen to in labor if you plan to have music.
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#2 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 PM

I am so glad you asked this! I want to know, too! I just got an iPod a few weeks ago and would love to have a labor playlist

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#3 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM

I was just going to turn on the classic rock station and rock out.

Hey, is dancing good for labor? I'd like to dance my way into transition.

No, I have no idea what labor is going to be like so I'll just have my laptop with me with all of my music on it and probably the radio too. Maybe, keep a variety of songs with you so if your mood changes you've got music for it.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#4 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM

LOL, I'm sure dancing is great!

I'm thinking I will need some powerful rock-type music as well. I'll have all my normal stuff on there in case I want to change, but I can't see myself wanting calm soft music. I need to jam.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#5 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 07:04 PM

Good question! And let me tell ya, it *is* important. My last pg ended with an emergency c-section at 33.5 weeks, so we didn't bring our own music or even think about expressing a preference in the OR... so my twins were delivered to the sweet strains of...

....CROCODILE ROCK!
Yeah, um, NOT what I would have chosen!

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#6 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
....CROCODILE ROCK!
Yeah, um, NOT what I would have chosen!
Waaaaaaa-lalalala-laaaaaa!

I also just pictured my self screaming during pushing with "Shout at the Devil" playing in the background. LOL

I think I'll need something energetic, and nothing depressing. I think Crocodile Rock would do just fine!

Oh hey, whatabout some ragtime. I'm totally blasting the Maple Leaf Rag through my labor! Yeah!

Oh boy, I won't subject you guys to my taste in music any further.

#7 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 PM

Dave Matthews Band all the way! I can't imagine anything else.

ETA-I'm sure that wasn't helpful to you at all. : I know people have talked about Enya and music like that, because it's calming.
#8 of 29 Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 PM

I listened to tribal music with lots of drums. I prefer primitive music while birthing.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#9 of 29 Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM

I was just talking to my partner about this. I'm not sure what type of music. Probably some jazz. They actually have built music systems in the delivery room so we'll just plug the i-Pod in and go!

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#10 of 29 Old 04-03-2008, 12:23 PM

I never listened to my carefully crafted playlists last time, but it was nice knowing that music was an option. I made two: one mellow (no lyrics, soothing stuff), and one hyper/energetic.
I don't think I noticed anything beyond what my body was doing by the time we got to the hospital-I was in some sort of primal wookie cave...

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#11 of 29 Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
I never listened to my carefully crafted playlists last time, but it was nice knowing that music was an option. I made two: one mellow (no lyrics, soothing stuff), and one hyper/energetic.
I don't think I noticed anything beyond what my body was doing by the time we got to the hospital-I was in some sort of primal wookie cave...
I've heard a lot of stories like this, where you somewhat loose conscious thought or your conscious mind goes to "another place" during labor. I don't see that happening to me but it sounds like a pretty cool experience, despite the pain. I guess you really have to focus your energy. Wow, it all just sounds so crazy to me!

I like the tribal music idea! Although, I think I would be too inclined to paint my face up and start carving spears or something.

#12 of 29 Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post

Exactly. I carefully planned music, was all excited about the jetted tub, which I DEFINITELY thought I'd use, birthing ball ....um, all I did was pace and pace and pace and pace around that room like a tiger at the zoo in a small cage, lol. Definitely couldn't have cared less was music was playing; I think we did play some but honestly can't remember for sure. I was like--PLAY WHATEVER YOU WANT---pace, pace pace, pace, LOL.
#13 of 29 Old 04-04-2008, 09:13 AM

I didn't use music last time. I had a playlist created. I'm big on the intelligent RnB and Rap (not the junkie HO, B*tch kind) and on mellow rock. I felt I'd need two things: uplifting music with a great beat to keep my energy up and mellow music that allowed me to relax.
#14 of 29 Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Personally, all I wanted was silence and quietness around.
#15 of 29 Old 04-04-2008, 10:41 AM

It's neat to read everyone's choices. I like a little bit of everything, but honestly I don't know if I'll want something laid back like Dave Matthews whom I love, or something hard like Disturbed for motivation. I'm also a Jimmy Buffet fan, so who knows. I may want silence. I have a list on projectplaylist.com I may just download, has all sorts of music from Jimmy, to Missy Elliot to the Beastie Boys... and uh maybe a Celine Dion song (A New Day), too

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#16 of 29 Old 04-04-2008, 12:55 PM

With my son, I planned on laboring through Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to the movie Passion (never saw the movie, but the soundtrack was great), and a drumming CD... it was either Mickey Hart's Planet Drum, or another one that my hubby has. Honestly, I don't remember most of it! I was so out of it, I didn't really hear the music.

Dancing is good in labor, but I would think that more sensuous, hip gyrating stuff would be better than just rocking out Like belly dancing would probably be ideal.

This time, I have no idea what I will play during labor... whatever other people want, I suppose, since I will probably be in "the zone" and not consciously hear it anyway.
#17 of 29 Old 04-04-2008, 01:12 PM

I really liked the soundtracks from Pirates of the Caribbean. My husband had them on his MP3 player and since we forgot my soothing CD's int he other car, this is what we had

I wore the headphones and pumped it up during contractions and turned it off in between. It helped me to "escape" into myself instead of being distracted by things around me (even though my dh and doula were great about minimizing distractions anyway)

So my vote is to have some hard pumping music because you might be surprised what mood you're in
#18 of 29 Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Fyoosh I love love love Peter Gabriel! I'm making a new list and will be adding lots of his. Thanks for the reminder

Muppet You know, one of my favorite scores was on the first Pirates soundtrack - have to add it too. Maybe thinking about Johnny Depp will help, too

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#19 of 29 Old 04-05-2008, 12:25 PM

I am looking for the most calming music possible, so I've reserved a number of the "Healing Sounds" series from my local library. I'd also like to have the sounds of nyabinghi drums as well; it is a drum beat that carries the beat of the heart.

Check this for an amazing way to bring your little one in with the sound he/she is most used to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=z3WA9iHz5ww
#20 of 29 Old 04-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

funkymum thank you for that. It was beautiful. It made me cry. Wish I could sing like that!!
#21 of 29 Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM

I have Ken making a playlist with lots of jazz on it for me. Something very soothing and relaxing.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#22 of 29 Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm not going to bother this time. I brought stuff: music, jolly ranchers to suck on, massage oil, etc... the other times. I couldn't even imagine opening the bag. I know from past experience that by the time I get to the hospital the last thing I want is sound (music, talking) or stuff with scent or, well, anything really. I did use the tub but I needed lights low, no talking, no sound. I would have freaked if there was any sound on at all. I'm definitely in "labor land" during active labor. If someone pulls me out of it, omg, they have to pay!
#23 of 29 Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 AM

I love anything by the Innocence Mission - super mellow. I used their CD "Now the Day is Over" lullabye CD for ds #1 in labor...loved it! Also use it during relaxation to practice for labor.
#24 of 29 Old 04-14-2008, 02:39 PM

I would have punched anyone in the nose for playing music during any of my labors.

I need uninterrupted QUIET to labor.

Dh was able to keep dd quiet with a movie downstairs last time, but to hear it occasionally in the background was maddening and very distracting.
#25 of 29 Old 04-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Probably some Dixie Chicks (I love the Dixie Chicks), the Dead, and Ubaka Hill.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#26 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 AM

Patrick O'Hearn-Ancient Dreams

It is a beautiful instrumental compliation that makes me think of nature, woodsy, watery areas. Just gorgeous

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#27 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 AM

I like to listen to nothing but the sounds of my husband's loving, encouraging words, my children in the background and my own moaning.
Bellydance originated with women dancing for women in childbirth. The movements mimic what the body needs to do to help the baby move down and out. There are many prenatal bellydance classes cropping up around the nation. I use my bellydancing in preparation for labor to get baby into a good position and in labor and it feels great. Nice swaying hip movements, big and small hip circles (like you are drawing a big circle on the floor with your bottom, slightly bent knees and feet under the hips), hip circles can be done on a birth ball too. I tell my birth class to get down and dirty with the birth ball rolling the hips around and around. Belly rolls are great too. Snake hips feel good in preparation for labor (draw a figure 8 by lifting one hip and dropping the other in a smooth swaying motion). It is essential that baby finds a good position in the pelvis to have a smooth labor. Dancing helps!
Lose the inhibitions and get in touch with that feminine, sexy, beautiful woman. This will help you feel less inhibited if you are having a hospital birth. Let's face it.... birth is an incredibly intimate process and you must allow yourself to be relaxed with your body even when others are present. So practice getting in touch with that woman side of yourself now!
#28 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maagpie View Post
Lose the inhibitions and get in touch with that feminine, sexy, beautiful woman. This will help you feel less inhibited if you are having a hospital birth. Let's face it.... birth is an incredibly intimate process and you must allow yourself to be relaxed with your body even when others are present. So practice getting in touch with that woman side of yourself now!
This made me ! I tend to "get down and dirty" with myself on a regular basis, and shake my booty all over the place when ever I get a chance. I usually do this to entertain myself while cleaning, doing laundry, etc. I thought I was just a crazy fool, I never thought it could be helpful!

I will try to focus on the movements you suggested! It sounds like good exercise.

Thanks!

#29 of 29 Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Well, with #1 I wanted to listed to Bob Dylan ... meet me in the morning 56th and wabasha... dun dun dun I labored in the early morning so it was perfect

who knows what I'll feel for this time. or if i get time to listen to anything!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page