So *this* is why people don't like ultrasounds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a phone call from my doc last night, which is never a good thing. My appt isn't until 2 today, so I didn't get a ton of information, but apparently the ultrasound we had on Monday didn't look so good.

Doc said that there didn't appear to be a right kidney, the tech couldn't see the heart well, and the cord only appeared to have 2 vessels (or 1 artery and a vessel, or whatever) instead of 3. So now I'm supposed to wait two weeks to go to the high risk clinic 2 hours away for a level III ultrasound for more information.

This was a huge bomb for me - and I'm totally freaking out now, but at the same time I'm really irritated. My ultrasound was literally an hour and a half. I couldn't see anything because the tech (who had the bedside manner of a wet rag) turned it away from me. She asked me questions like, "did you have your other 2 kids by caesarean" (I didn't) - without any explanation why she was asking that. She had to "chase" (her words) the baby around because he was moving so much - this went on for a good 1/2 an hour.

My fluid levels (which I think would indicate a kidney problem) are good and babe's measurements match my edd exactly. Heartbeat has been find via fetoscope/doppler at all my other appts.

But of course now I'm worried. And I don't even really want to go back to the same tech, but don't really want to go to the high risk place either. Plus, I'm traveling for work from the 13th-25th of this month, so the earliest I could get in is the last few days of April.

I don't know, I guess this is more of a vent than anything else, but I wished I had given more credit to the "u/s aren't necessary" line of thought...

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#2 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 04:58 PM

I'm so sorry you are stressed about this. My SIL also had something similar happen to her. Her u/s tech was having a hard time finding organs too, and her baby turned out just fine. I wish I could offer you more reassurance.

I totally agree with you that this is the reason people don't like ultrasounds. Most of the time, you end up worried and stressed out over nothing.

I'll be keeping you and your pecious babe in my thoughts and prayers.
#3 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM

That stinks. I wouldn't want to go back to that tech either!! Hey, just 'cause you're going to the high risk clinic for an ultrasound doesn't mean you're high risk. I had mine at one, I think it just means that they've got better equipment and better techs! I think you should definitely go there.

It really royally stinks to have to worry about this, I know. But.. I would be so grateful to have the ultrasound so I know I can get my baby the best care possible when it's born if there is a problem. It increases your chances for a healthy baby! There probably ISN'T a problem though, which just means the stress is unnecessary.. but this too shall pass.

I know it's stressful now, but after you go get the Level III done I'm sure you'll feel a lot better.

Keep us updated! I will expect good news. :

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#4 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 05:21 PM

*hugs* honey I can't imagine how you feel right now, sending you good healthy baby vibes.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#5 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 PM

*hugs* honey I can't imagine how you feel right now, sending you good healthy baby vibes.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#6 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Just wanted to offer a ! Just remember it is their job to find problems, I bet it was just this tech not being able to get clear pictures with your wiggly bean.

Also I had to go to a US clinic when they found "something" in my last preg. Everything turned out fine but I totally understand your stress. Also the techs there were REALLY nice and chatted up the babe and what was going on the entire time. It was like baby TV, really enjoyable.

Try not to stress.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#7 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
kwg

#8 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I merged your two threads.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 PM

I'm ss mama! I was regretting going for my u/s too. They found something on the u/s that can be normal, but can also be an indication of downs, etc. Everything turned out to be fine, all that worry for nothing!

Hugs! I'm sure everything is fine! I read with how high tech the u/s are becoming, they are finding more and more things that they've never seen before. That are usually normal baby development, but can throw up a red flag. HTH!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#10 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 10:52 PM

s I hope everything is alright. U/s can be scary, especially with the high chance of false positives.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#11 of 20 Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 PM

Hoping everything turns out just fine, mama.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#12 of 20 Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 AM

Wishing for the best for you and your little one, mama.

nk
#13 of 20 Old 04-05-2008, 02:43 AM

That sounds so hard and so frusterating. I'm wishing the best for you and your little baby...
#14 of 20 Old 04-05-2008, 12:43 PM

I am sorry this is happening ((((hugs))))

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#15 of 20 Old 04-05-2008, 02:56 PM

hugs! Having also been on the receiving end of a frustrating u/s recently, I completely understand.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#16 of 20 Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 PM

I hope they can get you in sooner!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#17 of 20 Old 04-05-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried to post an update but mdc was still freezing on me and instead of posting twice, I guess I didn't post at all!

I feel a little better after my appt (just a regular doc appt, not the follow up scan). The doctor doesn't even see the pictures the u/s tech takes, he just gets a copy of the report she writes up :S. The language used was something like "right kidney not clearly defined" and "four chamber heart not clearly defined" or something like that. So it could definitely be a case that the baby wasn't positioned well - which would have been helpful to know originally, but I'll take what I can get. The doctor says he doesn't think anything is wrong with the heart and if the right kidney is completely absent, it just means kiddo will have to be conscious of that later in life; I can still give birth at our local facility and an absent kidney alone doesn't mean a NICU stay or anything like that (which would mean a trip in the flight for life for babe to the "big" hospital).

So for now, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm still hoping I can get in this week before I leave, but it's not sounding very good. Just hope we can get some solid answers sooner rather than later.

Thanks, everyone, for your support.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#18 of 20 Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Have you ever seen the movie Juno? The part where she has her US is so funny. I am not saying that every US tech thinks they are God, but I have seen and heard about a lot of them that use their power over emotional and excited parents-to-be to make themselves feel better. If you do go back to the same tech, remember that you are the patient (i.e. the customer), and you have hired her to provide a service for you. So, if you want to see the screen, you see the screen. If you want to know what she is seeing, you ask her and don't let her give you the "hospital policy" line. And, if you are not satisfied with the care you are given, tell someone about it so another mom doesn't have to feel the same way you are!

This is my third pregnancy, and I am close friends with many other moms with very young children that have recently gone through pregnancy, l & d, and postpartum care. Although we have all hired health care professionals that are to have our best interests at heart, we are the only ones that can truly advocate for ourselves. I have learned this the hard way!!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#19 of 20 Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned

man, that's crazy.

how could a baby without a kidney and with a small/bad heart and not enough nourishment via umbilical cord "move around too much" as to not be seen?

i'm sorry that you're so workedup, that you have to go in for something fancy-pants, simply because the u/s (tech) was funny because your kiddo was like "WEEEEEE! lets dance!"

edit: good update, too. glad the doc isn't too worried; good luck getting the fancy-pants ultrasound quickly!
#20 of 20 Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM

hugs mama! Hoping that next u/s shows everything much clearer!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page