Healthy Recipe Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So....I am in need of some creative healthy recipes. At this point in my pregnancy I am in a rut, and my nutrition is falling off the wagon. I am looking for healthy snacks, smoothies, and meal recipes. I figure since nutrition is key to any good pregnancy and our tastes seem to change frequently (hourly...lol) that ideas from eachother might help.

Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#2 of 23 Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM

Great thread!

My favorite thing to do is poach a chicken. It is very inexpensive, and an excellent source of yummy lean protein. I get large roasting chickens, last week they were on sale for 59 cents a pound! Plus, it only takes about 2.5 hours and you've got meat for the rest of the week!

Recipe:

6-7lb Whole Chicken
4 Cups Broth
3 Cups Water
Parsley and Salt to taste.

Place broth and water in large sauce pan/dutch oven (8qt) and bring to a light boil.

Remove the chicken from packaging, take giblet bag and pop-up roasting thermometer out of chicken. You can de-skin the chicken if you want. Rub chicken with enough salt and parsley to coat.

Place the chicken (carefully!) in the pot of boiling water. If necessary, add more water so that the chicken is just covered. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and cover to simmer. Simmer chicken for 45-60 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit (still covered) for 1 hour longer. DO NOT remove the cover during this time, when the pot will act as a slow-cooker.

After time is up, check the temperature of the chicken (should be 180 degrees internally). Meat should fall off bone.

YAY!! Now you've got enough tasty chicken for all of your chicken dishes, plus broth for home-made soup!

Tasty Tips:

-You can add things to the broth for extra-delicious chicken. I recommend slices of fresh ginger, onion skins, or whole garlic cloves.

-For a quick dinner after poaching the chicken, serve white meat pieces with raw celery, carrots and broccoli next to your favorite dipping sauce with a side of rice.

-A 7lb chicken will last DH and me about a week and a half, I freeze half of the chicken so it stays fresh.

-Save the cooking liquids (broth) for easy soup tomorrow! Keep in the fridge so that the fat rises to the top, skim off. Then, just add your favorite veggies, noodles and chicken pieces.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#3 of 23 Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 PM

Take chicken pieces and mix with your favorite salsa. Spoon chicken mixture onto flour tortillas and cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Fold tortillas in half. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes.

Viola! Lunch in less than 7 minutes!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#4 of 23 Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yummy...can we all day dinner for tomorrow night!!!
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#5 of 23 Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 PM

I am a smoothie junkie right now!
Usually they have:
1 banana
@1 cup vanilla yogurt
some frozen berries
a little protein powder
a tsp maple syrup
and whatever leftover fruit is around
mmmm... so good.:
ps. the frozen berries make it so that I don't have to add ice.

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#6 of 23 Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 PM

I love fruit, but don't really love a lot of veggies, so every night for dinner I've been doing a really delicious combo:

Baby spinich
mixed greens
chopped up fruit (my faves are) strawberries, peaches, necterines, or kiwi

Dressing #1:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup oil (I use flaxseed or safflower or olive oil if I don't have the other two)
1/8 tsp paprika
twist of course salt
twist of black pepper

Shake this all up in a container and pour over salad. It is SO tangy and fresh.

Dressing #2:
Fruit yogurt whisked with lemon juice until desired consistency.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#7 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 AM

I have my favorite smoothie recipe!

a handful of baby spinach
1 young thai coconut (water and flesh)
1 cup of almond milk (I prefer real almond non-processed but I can deal with Almond Breeze)
2 bananas
1 1/2 cup of ice

Mix all the ingredients except the ice, until the end when everything is blended, throw the ice. It tastes so sweet you won't need any sweetener!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#8 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 AM

OMG! That smoothie recipe sounds so delish. I'm going to make it right after this post.

I love these spinach balls (and so does my toddler) But be careful, they're addictive even when you're not pg.
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach
3 beaten eggs
1 cup bread crumbs (I make my own, just throw a slice of bread into food processor)
1/2 stick butter melted
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
You defrost the spinach and use a strainer or colander to squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible. Then mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl and use your hands to make them into little balls. Put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them in your freezer. Then bake them at 350 for 15 mins.

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  
#9 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 AM

OMG I just made the spinich balls for supper (with skim mozza instead of parm) and they are SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!

I think I see a spinich trend... Good for all of us eating our dark leafy greens

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#10 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Homemade veggie soup

Brown 1lb of ground beef (or turkey). Drain off the oil and fat.

Add the ground beef to large boiler. Fill the pot half way with water and add peeled/chopped potatoes, mixed veggies (frozen), a can of stewed tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. For those who like tomatoes, you can even add a can of tomato sauce to make it thicker.

Let boil until potatoes are soft and veggies are cooked. Season to taste.

It doesn't seem like a whole lot but its a wonderful meal that you can spread out of a couple of days and even freeze for later dates.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#11 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 PM

Tuna pasta salad

Boil one box of wheat pasta rotini (which ever is the twirly pasta).

Chop up green, red, and yellow bell peppers.
Chop up brocolli and carrots. (corner cutter: you can get the stirfry veggies with these already chopped.)
Chop one boiled egg.

Drain two cans of tuna.

Once pasta is al dente (or to your liking), combine all ingredients with 4 tablespoons of mayo. Add a little vinegar and pepper to taste. This is really good after it's chilled overnight.

Great summer dish.

Regular Pasta salad
Rotini noodles
Broccolli
Cucumber (chopped and diced)
Cherry tomatoes (chopped and diced)
Cheese (mild-flavored, chopped and diced)
Wishbone Italian dressing

Boil noodles and combine all ingredients with salad dressing. Toss until everything is coated well and chill overnight. This goes great alone or with a meal.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#12 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 03:00 PM

i made a really good lunch today out of the NOTHING that was in my fridge!

1 can pinto beans drained really well
1 can white beans drained
shaved carrot
diced celery
some balsamic vinegaraitte

tasty, filling, and used up some random stuff in the kitchen! i felt very rachael ray... YUM-O

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#13 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
Regular Pasta salad
Rotini noodles
Broccolli
Cucumber (chopped and diced)
Cherry tomatoes (chopped and diced)
Cheese (mild-flavored, chopped and diced)
Wishbone Italian dressing

Boil noodles and combine all ingredients with salad dressing. Toss until everything is coated well and chill overnight. This goes great alone or with a meal.
i make this weekly, but i do not add the broccolli or cucumber, and put in zesty italian any brand, feta cheese, and shredded parmesan cheese, and proscuitto. YUM!!!
#14 of 23 Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 PM

sorry ot here but you all are making me hungry... :

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#15 of 23 Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
sorry ot here but you all are making me hungry... :
me too!

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#16 of 23 Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykilbo View Post
i made a really good lunch today out of the NOTHING that was in my fridge!

1 can pinto beans drained really well
1 can white beans drained
shaved carrot
diced celery
some balsamic vinegaraitte

tasty, filling, and used up some random stuff in the kitchen! i felt very rachael ray... YUM-O
I do almost the same thing, it is so yummy.

I also add
chopped onion,
fresh chopped garlic
Basel

those additions really add a bit of spice, it tastes best after it is chilled overnight so the flavors blend and mellow.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#17 of 23 Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 PM

I could eat this daily!

Taco salad

Romaine lettuce
Green onion
avacado
peppers
black olives

Spicy hamburger meat
Corn chips
Cheese

For the dressing I mix salsa and sour cream together.

I like to add the chips crumbled up after mixing the dressing in so they are extra crunchy. A little lime squeezed on top.

I am loving all meals mexican, but can't go near chicken.

Other ingredients you can add to your taste are corn niblets, fresh tomatoe, any other salad ingredients, any type of onion, and any dressing you love. It's all good!! Looks like I better have some again it sounds so good

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#18 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2013 View Post
OMG! That smoothie recipe sounds so delish. I'm going to make it right after this post.

I love these spinach balls (and so does my toddler) But be careful, they're addictive even when you're not pg.
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach
3 beaten eggs
1 cup bread crumbs (I make my own, just throw a slice of bread into food processor)
1/2 stick butter melted
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
You defrost the spinach and use a strainer or colander to squeeze as much water out of the spinach as possible. Then mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl and use your hands to make them into little balls. Put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them in your freezer. Then bake them at 350 for 15 mins.
Made these to go with our manicotti! very yummy!
#19 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 AM

This is so terrible, but i am haing a hard time thinking of what healthy recipes I have made lately, lol. I am assuming that homemade blueberry muffins do not count, lol. Hmmm, I am making thai pork tonight for dinner in the crock pot which is a healthy meal. I have made meatloaf, spaghetti and meatballs, lasagne with homemade pasta sauce, dill/ranch oyster crackers for snacking, oatmeal cookies and peanut butter bars for the freezer this week too. I will be watching this thread for more healthy recipes to add to my cooking!
#20 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM

For vegan alternatives:

* Rosemary (mock chicken) seitan: seitan protein fried with garlic and rolled in rosemary, served on a bed of brown rice with kale.

* Tostada salad: refried beans, salsa, vegan cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes on a toasted rice pita (crisps up nicely)

*Taco salad: chili mix beans, fried tofu ground into a fine meal, onions, garlic, lettuce, french dressing, crumbled nacho chips
#21 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Turkey meatloaf

(This is a South Beach Diet recipe. Which means its just really healthy eating). I usually double the recipe and freeze half, already baked.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 can (6 ounces) no-salt-added tomato paste
* 1/2 cup dry red wine (I usually use broth instead -- but the wine is definitely better)
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
* 1/4 tsp dried oregano
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 pound ground turkey breast
* 1 cup oatmeal
* 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
* 1/2 cup shredded zucchini

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the tomato paste, red wine, water, garlic, basil, oregano, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside.

Combine the turkey, oatmeal, egg substitute, zucchini, and 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture in a large bowl. Mix well.

Shape into a meat loaf, and place in an ungreased 8- x 4-inch loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Discard any drippings. Pour 1/2 cup of the remaining tomato mixture over the top of the loaf. Bake for 15 minutes longer. Remove to a serving platter. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve the remaining tomato sauce on the side.
#22 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Not really a recipe, but a healthy tip. I love to stock up on packages of frozen spinach. Its great to put in all sorts of stuff. Scrambled eggs, spaghetti sauce, burgers, etc.

When you thaw it, just be sure to put it in a towel and squeeze out all the water.
#23 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Granola Bars (for all the granola crunchin' mamas!)

2 c oats
1 c flour (I did half/half whole wheat/white)
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c raisins
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c coconut oil (I used what I had on hand)
1/2 c honey
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
optional: nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruits (cranberries, bananas, blueberries, etc), flax seed, peanut butter, etc

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment paper then coat with a little oil. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: oats, flour, brown sugar, raisins, wheat germ, salt and cinnamon (and any of the optional ingredients.) In another bowl mix wet ingredients: oil, honey, egg and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into dry mixture and stir by hand until blended. Press evenly into the pan. Bake 25-30 min. Let cool completely then turn out onto cutting board. Remove foil and cut into bars. Wrap individually in foil.

The first batch I made I put chocolate chips in it and they were really sweet, I'll probably reduce the brown sugar if I add those again. I wrap them in foil and keep in a zip lock bag in the cupboard. These are so yummy and I think adding different things every time I make them. My kids gobble them up!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page