Benadryl for Motion Sickness? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going on a trip this weekend with some friends. I am not driving, and I get VERY car sick when I am pregnant. I talked to my midwife, and she suggested that I snack on high protein trail mix throughout the day. And, she said that I could take benadryl if I really needed to. I had never heard of benedryl for motion sickness before. I have some children's stuff, which is half the dose of the adult stuff.

What do you think????

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#2 of 12 Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM

You could just take dramamine. Two OBs and my midwife as well as Hale says it is "safe." It is a category B.
#3 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 AM

Benadryl for motion sickness? I've never heard of that, either!

I agree with the pp, just take dramamine. It's safe, and you only need to take it twice. No biggie.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#4 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Hylands makes a motion sickness tablet that dissolves under the tongue. Works for dd. I get it at the health food store. Check for safety in pregnancy but I would imagine it would be safer than a drug.
#5 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maagpie View Post
Hylands makes a motion sickness tablet that dissolves under the tongue. Works for dd. I get it at the health food store. Check for safety in pregnancy but I would imagine it would be safer than a drug.
That is a VERY dangerous assumption you just made. I would NEVER trust a "motion sickness tablet"-ingredients unspecified, just because it comes from a "health food" store.

Stick with something that's been tested. Dramamine has not been shown to be harmful during pregnancy.

Your concept of what "a drug" is, is essentially wrong. That tablet you described is certainly a drug. Just because they put the chemical name on the label, "Dimenhydrinate," for example, doesn't make it less safe than products who's active ingredients chemical names have not been put on the label (herbs).

#6 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM

I wanted to add that I get incredibley motion sick (I will puke for an entire flight without medication) but even when pregnant I can take just one dramamine and it will last me for a 9+ hour flight. So, you might not even have to take a full dose.
#7 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. I know dramamine works well for me, so I am surprised my MW didn't even bring that drug up. I guess I will stay with what works since it and Benadryl are in the same category.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#8 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 PM

formerly of your DDC, just popping in...dramamine and benedryl are both antihistamines - and they are very closely related. If I remember right, dramamine breaks down into benedryl, so if you take bendryl it works faster (or it might be vice versa.. can't remember right now)

and for holothuroidea, my understanding is that with homeopathic drugs, there is not one whole molecule of the substance present in a given quantity. They are not as herbal medicines, which certainly can be deadly and dangerous (nightshade anyone?). A properly diluted homeopathic treatment is no more dangerous than the water with which it is diluted. There is even some regulation of homeopathics (read this). I'm still not sold that it works, after all there isn't even an entire molecule of the active substance in a dose (or even a whole bottle for that matter). Modern science has not been able to explain away homeopathy working by simply the placebo effect either, so who knows. I just wanted to clear up that homeopathics are not the same as herbal medicine or a dietary supplement.
#9 of 12 Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
That is a VERY dangerous assumption you just made. I would NEVER trust a "motion sickness tablet"-ingredients unspecified, just because it comes from a "health food" store.

I would never trust a motion sickness tablet just because it comes from a health food store either. Which is why I stated "check for safety in pregnancy". I think we should all be aware of our options and I was presenting one. Neither would I trust a drug because it has been tested and my doctor says it's "safe" (cytotec anyone?)
#10 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
and for holothuroidea, my understanding is that with homeopathic drugs, there is not one whole molecule of the substance present in a given quantity. They are not as herbal medicines, which certainly can be deadly and dangerous (nightshade anyone?). A properly diluted homeopathic treatment is no more dangerous than the water with which it is diluted. There is even some regulation of homeopathics (read this). I'm still not sold that it works, after all there isn't even an entire molecule of the active substance in a dose (or even a whole bottle for that matter). Modern science has not been able to explain away homeopathy working by simply the placebo effect either, so who knows. I just wanted to clear up that homeopathics are not the same as herbal medicine or a dietary supplement.
There are many whole molecules in given quantities in herbal medicines. You can say, for example, that when you use peppermint for an upset stomach, that the active ingredient is Menthol, and it is present in whatever quantity you measure per dose.

Modern science knows why herbal medicines work. Most modern medicines are made from compounds isolated from herbs, or variations of those isolated molecules.

I was not talking about "homeopathic remedies." Who said anything about homeopathic medicine?

Anyway, A homeopathic medicine properly diluted is only as dangerous as the quantity of solute that is dissolved, not the water that it's dissolved in.

If we respect the fact that herbal and homeopathic remedies are powerful and they work, we need to also respect the fact that they are just as dangerous as other powerful medicines. They are not inherently safe because they are natural, any more than pharmaceuticals are inherently dangerous because they are synthetic.

#11 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maagpie View Post
I would never trust a motion sickness tablet just because it comes from a health food store either. Which is why I stated "check for safety in pregnancy". I think we should all be aware of our options and I was presenting one. Neither would I trust a drug because it has been tested and my doctor says it's "safe" (cytotec anyone?)

#12 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
There are many whole molecules in given quantities in herbal medicines. You can say, for example, that when you use peppermint for an upset stomach, that the active ingredient is Menthol, and it is present in whatever quantity you measure per dose.

Modern science knows why herbal medicines work. Most modern medicines are made from compounds isolated from herbs, or variations of those isolated molecules.

I was not talking about "homeopathic remedies." Who said anything about homeopathic medicine?

Anyway, A homeopathic medicine properly diluted is only as dangerous as the quantity of solute that is dissolved, not the water that it's dissolved in.

If we respect the fact that herbal and homeopathic remedies are powerful and they work, we need to also respect the fact that they are just as dangerous as other powerful medicines. They are not inherently safe because they are natural, any more than pharmaceuticals are inherently dangerous because they are synthetic.
hylands, the company that makes the tablet maagpie recommended, which you responded to, is a homeopathic medicine company

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page