Newborn/'coming home' outfit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know many are hoping for homebirth, so the idea of the 'coming home' outfit from hospital won't apply, but is anyone planning a special outfit for either coming home or first day/s? It will be so hot! Can't do the cute handknit longies and matching hat thing!

If you have something you're planning, post a link or description!

I have no idea yet. But can't wait to see what others might be either planning or just daydreaming of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008, 05:25 PM

DH and I just bought 2 duckie onesies and socks for baby's first outfit. We also have an outfit that looks like desert cammies that baby could wear for the first time in front of people. We don't know yet.

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 PM

DH told me if we were having a girl I could go to Janie and Jack to get a coming home outfit...so I did! I got this: layette

It's shorts, so I think baby will be cool enough

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Old 04-20-2008, 06:13 PM

Yes, the heat will definitely be a factor for us (we're in the Southeast US), plus the fact that we won't know until arrival whether baby is a boy or a girl! I have received some neutral (white, yellow, green) things that are possibilities for a going home outfit. I may just go with a gown or something simple like that. I kind of have a frog theme, so I may look for a cute gown, onesie, or shortie set that has a cute neutral froggy pattern.
BTW, If I knew I was having a girl, I would love something similar to what rach03 chose
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
DH told me if we were having a girl I could go to Janie and Jack to get a coming home outfit...so I did! I got this: layette

That is super cute. So sweet.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM

We're having a hospital birth, but coming home 4 hrs after the birth, once the MW makes sure everything is under control.
I like the idea of dressing the new LO in the same little outfit we brought E home in-it was a cute little kimono style sleeper with short sleeves: white background with little seahorses, octopus (octopii?) and fish. Neutral but cute. We brought a few options-from teeny tiny to bigger stuff, as we weren't sure how big the baby would be.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post

That is so cute!!!

We'll have a special outfit a few days after birth when we welcome our closest family and friends to visit during the day.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:58 AM

Not really. Ds had a really special prefold that someone sent to me as a RAK when we finally got pregnant with him after TTC for a year and a half.

It was a hand dyed prefold with the word "DREAM" and a shooting star painted on it.

A picture

It was too hot for much else.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM

I got two born at home tea shirts in a swap and will prbably use one of the two wools sacks I bought to go over the fitted dipe. I am really fond of the "harvest" colorway one and since I will be in AC it really won't matter how snuggled baby is.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM

With this baby it will probably just be a onesie or a t-shirt and soft shorts.

We bought a special outfit for our first son but when it came time to dress him to go home I couldn't bring myself to put it on him. It wasn't anything fancy, but I wanted him in the most comfortable thing I could find - which was a plain onesie.

Now that I think about it - I've always dressed him for comfort. He is very hot natured so we can't put him in anything too thick or else he gets overheated. Even at four he still wears really comfy stuff!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:05 PM

Rach, that outfit is so darling!

I have 2 premie sized outfits, so we will use one of them since my babies are usually small. One is a white onesie with a lavendar heart on the chest and matching lavendar and white pants. I can't think off the top of my head what the other one looks like.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Aw thank you guys for the sweet comments on the outfit we picked out!

DH just wanted to do something special for me since I'm finally starting to enjoy this pregnancy and buy a few things for baby girl.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Good thing for this forum...I have totally not thought about an outfit yet, lol. I guess as time gets closer, I will pick something out. It might be a nice night for dh and I to go out to dinner and get an outfit.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM

I received a really cute newborn outfit at my baby shower for ds1, so he wore that. Before DS2 was born, we took DS1 to the store and let him pick out an outfit for his little brother. We will again this time take both boys to the store to let them pick out something for their little brother. We will try to direct them to the cute matching layette section. But, I am sure they will be drawn to anything with a train on it.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
Old 04-21-2008, 05:01 PM

I thought about an outfit but I plan to wait until June before picking one so DP and I can go together.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Here is baby's first outfit:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...dying013-1.jpg
The shirt was my ds's first shirt at the hosp, I dyed it and dyed the Kissaluv0 to match. I know it will be hot, but we'll be in the cool ac in my house, right out of the tub, so I don't want him to get too cold!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 AM

homebirth here but I am sewing a cute CD for the baby and my mom is bringing lots of clothes from Panama so I am having him wearing some of that.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 04-22-2008, 05:15 PM

We are having a hospital birth so there will be a coming home outfit. My mom has said that she wanted to get the special coming home outfit so I don't know what kidlet will be wearing. We know its a boy and as I don't have ac in my car or house it will probably be something cool and comfy. My mom has been picking out the cutes clothes and stuff so I'm sure it will be adorable. As for the rest of his clothes I have bought some onesies in 3-6 and a few in newborn but because I'm a diabetic I'm holding off on more clothes because who knows how big he is going to be. I'm also been buying diapers but haven't bought any newborn size for the same reason. I figure if he is small I will send someone to get a pack of the small ones for me. Ya know. I still have to buy cloth diapers for at home but I'm not sure how many to get and stuff. I'm figure it out.
Sorry for the book.

Shawna
Old 04-23-2008, 06:06 AM

User Tag List