Fellow Babywearers! Post Action pics & what is your current Stash?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am done! Woo hoo! I have been on the hunt for used (to save some $$) baby carriers and today finally purchased the last from my wants list. This has been a huge stress for me, I know it sounds strange but I just don't know how anyone can survive without wearing their baby, it was a MUST for my current DD. I just could NOT put her down unless she was dead asleep for MONTHS and MONTHS. I wore her basically straight though the first year. She loved it and still does. Anyone else LOVE baby Wearing? I never owned a stroller for my currently 26mth old DD (and still don't ), I just wore her everywhere so I know I will use all these (or sell them off again). I am really proud to say that every carrier I own was bought used so I saved a bundle! (I linked to the manufacture website so anyone new to baby wearing and is interested can actually figure out what I am talking about)

So here is my....
newborn stash

PIP Adjustable Pouch (Dark Periwinkle)
Zolo Ring Sling (Sage Green cotton with small pink embroidered flower accent on tail)
BabyHawk Mei Tai (Black body with Reversible Asian Print)
Mama Kangourou Stretcy Wrap (Moca Vanilla)

This one is for my husband to wear our current DD and for me to wear her during this pregnancy. My Mei Tai is just not cutting it right now, I need something with a bit more padding for back carries so I am going to borrow it from him for a few months.
Beco Butterfly soft structured carrier (Metro Black)

Also when I get skinny again I have a few Hotslings that I can use. They are size 1 so it will be awhile before I can even dream of fitting in those again.

Here are a few pics of me & hubby wearing my current DD though the years...
2mths, asleep in my Hotsling pouch (she is not in the pouch correctly but it was one of my first trys)
6mths, my husband wearing her fishing on vacation in a stretchy wrap
6mths, sleeping with hubby in stretchy wrap
11mths , at the aquarium looking at jellyfish in my hotsling pouch
15mths, at the Zoo asleep on my back in my Mei Tai
18mths, MY FAVORITE Picture, on my back at the zoo in my Mei Tai

What is your current Stash?? OR what are you planning on buying? Also I love to see babywearing pics so if you have any post them up as well

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#2 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 AM

I have a Maya wrap from before which I did not like one little bit and a snugli which I'm going to retire.

My sis is buying us an Ergo (yay!) and I registered for a hotsling. I used one of my friend's before and I loved the one piece deal and the the thinner fabric.

And I totally know what you mean about not being able to not wear the baby! After my son outgrew the snugli (which was fast, he was big) I ended up carrying him ALL THE TIME. Seriously. I was always holding him. He road around in the stroller outside but didn't chill in the bouncer or anything that often - I just had him in my arms, which occupied my hands. I'm super excited about the Ergo, can you tell???
#3 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allborntogrow View Post
I'm super excited about the Ergo, can you tell???
I tried an ERGO on the other day since I was in the market for something my DH can wear my current DD in. They are a really nice design for a soft structured carrier, you are going to love it! I was really set on buy it but luckily I tried it on. Sadly it was too big on me no matter how much I tightened the shoulder straps. I have a REALLY REALLY short torso so I could not adjust it any tighter without running into the soft padded shoulder straps, I ran out webbing. So I did some more research and found that the Beco Butterfly has shorter shoulder padding so it fits little people like me. It just came in the mail actually today and it fit both me 5'2" and my 6'4" husband great, not to mention he loved it.

Give us the review of the Ergo with your older child when you get it in!

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#4 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 AM

I have three carriers and love them all! You have a nice collection!! Lucky baby and parents!

I have: a blue and white Kissaluz ring sling (bought with DS1, they don't make them anymore, but it ROCKS!)

A sage green Moby Wrap (bought when we started ttcing last year, so I haven't used it yet.)

A Nestlings (etsy seller) Mei Tai that has unbleached cotton body & straps with a cool orange and green outer body. Love it! Got it when DS2 was 1 and can't believe I lived without one.

Also, a fellow LLL member offered to make me a pouch sling as a baby gift, if I gave her the fabric I want. Looking foward to picking that out and trying it.

I have pics of us in the Kissaluv and Mai Tei in my siggie video.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#5 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 12:02 PM

This is my first baby, but I am very much looking forward to babywearing and hope my LO likes it. I'm registered for a Hotslings, sounds like a few of you have good experiences with them, which is reassuring.

Dumb question alert - why would I need more than one? I don't know anyone who babywears, so I'll take all the info I can get

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#6 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 PM

I have an Ergo and a Maya wrap that I have used for my two children as well as a framed backback that is nice for over a coat once the babe is big. My poor Maya is starting to get a few holes but still seems functional.

I have tried many pouches but I have a hard time finding one that fits my broad shouldered/big boob but not a big person self. Is there any reason to have a Mei Tai if you have an Ergo?
#7 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 PM

My stash is all homemade stuff, either by me or by another mama. I have:

-A wrap that I bought off TBW for a song, made by a mama

-A buckle-Tai that a friend made

-Two pouches that I made myself

I plan on making one more pouch and a ringsling for the shower/pool out of athletic jersey material. Then I think I'm set. I may or may not make another MT if I can get my hands on some long-enough materials for straps.
#8 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 03:15 PM

my new Beco Butterfly! I can't comfortably wear the strap under belly, so that gives out pretty fast. It will be more for her and new baby come August.

20 months old/24 weeks pregnant:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/...4-18-08033.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/...4-18-08035.jpg

12 months old in a hand-me down snugli. worked fine for airport purposes:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/.../8-4-07033.jpg

4 months old sleeping in moby as mom does chores:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/.../1-6-07006.jpg

3 months old..first time putting it on (not the most stellar wrap job)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/ptmarq/11-12044.jpg

I WISH I had had my Moby wrap earlier. I too had a baby you couldn't put down. I just sat on the couch and held her because that's all I knew for the first 3 months. Wish I had been on this site and someone would have given me the hands-free holding option
#9 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM

I didn't do much babywearing with the twins, aside from wearing one while my husband wore the other on our weekend hikes. I didn't know about MDC then and while I would have loved to double-sling them I just didn't know how and the whole thing felt overwhelming.

With this singleton, I don't know how I'm going to do it EXCEPT to babywear all the time! I am going to head up to our local AP baby gear shoppe one of these weekends and try on a variety of slings. I'm thinking that I'll go with a hotsling for right out of the gate (unless anyone has horror stories) and then move on from there.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#10 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaJean13 View Post
This is my first baby, but I am very much looking forward to babywearing and hope my LO likes it. I'm registered for a Hotslings, sounds like a few of you have good experiences with them, which is reassuring.

Dumb question alert - why would I need more than one? I don't know anyone who babywears, so I'll take all the info I can get
A ring sling and stretchy wrap are what I have seen MOST people start off babywearing a brand new baby in. They both have a learning curve, like any of the carriers, you really can't expect the first time you try it on you and your baby to be happy and comfortable. It takes a few tries to see what you both like.

On that note a "why would you need more than one carrier" well to be completely honest you really don't. But most likely you won't be comfortable in all situations (long walks, nursing, short walks, busy toddler) with just one carrier especially as your babe gets older and heavier.

The hotsling is a non-adjustable pouch carrier, basically a variation of a ring sling without the rings or the adjustably. They are really really quick to put on, and fit in a diaper bag amazingly well, they fold soooo small(I own 2) ! But since they do not adjust as you loose your baby weight and your babe gets bigger you many not fit in it like you use to and need to buy another size to accommodate your changing shapes. (Just so you know you can get a size adjustable brand pouch that will help with the fit as you loose the baby weight.). Also many people find it next to impossible to nurse in a pouch since you can't loosen it to get the baby positioned at your breast like you can a ring sling (if we are just comparing this carriers closest cousin). BUT others have no problems after practicing a bit. The main draw I would say for a pouch is the "popability " of it, easy on easy off, no need to adjust or fiddle with anything, the same fit basically every time. But also that is its downside if you see what I mean? Also it is only a one shoulder carrier so as the babe gets bigger especially they will still fit but most woman will complain that since the weight is only on one shoulder their back hurts very quickly. But that still makes them great for short outings without a stroller like going into CVS or cuddling a toddler at an unexpected time. So thats why many of us also have 2 shoulder carriers (such as, Soft stretchy Wraps, Other kinds of Wraps, Mei Tai, Soft Structured Carriers (Ergo, Beco), and lots others).

I hated my pouch when I first got it around 2mths old. I just did not know what I was doing to get my babe in right, had the wrong size but did not know that either and my babe screamed all the time in it unless I put her in when she was sleeping. SO I just sat on the couch. I am going to give it a go again this time for all the pluses I mentioned above and hopefully I can find a carrying position and nursing position that this little one likes.

I don't think I really answered your question of why more than one carrier....
I think it comes down to what your lifestyle is like. Do you wear your babe everywhere without a stroller or are you and your babe stroller queens and you just use your carrier around the house when your babe does not want to be put down. You will have to see what kind of babe is baking in there . Also each carrier has its own pluses and minuses just as I described above for the non-adjustable pouch style.

No one carrier is perfect for everyones shape and size and lifestyle. Also it is fun to try different carriers, they are like article of clothing, shoes and accessory. My babe became my best accessory! I always had the happiest babe around and was totally mobile where ever I went, no extra junk to lug along, just me, the diaper bag and my babe. I felt much more free JUST SO LONG as I had the right carrier for the activity I was doing. From 4mths to 1y I had my babe on my front in my Soft Wrap while doing everything and then as babe got bigger I wore her on my back in my Mei Tai for shopping or long outings like the zoo. But for the shorter trips like to CVS I wore her in hip carry in a pouch. Everything fit in my diaper bag so life just was easy!!!

Happy Baby Wearing (check out TheBabyWearer.com for everything you could ever want to know about babywearing and more!)

#11 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM

I haven't bought anything new for carriers for baby 2.

I have:
Size 3 Hotsling for use until 10 pounds
Size 4 Hotsling for use until 10 pounds
Sachi mei tai for use from about 10-20 pounds
Maya Wrap (on permanent loan)
I have two Becos, but won't be using them for a good while since I've only really loved them for back carries.

I also have access to borrow two wraps. My DS couldn't use a wrap. He'd sweat to death. So we have no idea how baby 2 will be.
#12 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 PM

I've got a few things. I got mine all used too except for one of them.

Maya Adjustable Pouch but its up FSOT
Hotsling Mehndi Print
Moby Wrap
Ellaroo Wrap
Cotton gauze homemade by someone else wrap
BabyHawk Mei Tai, reversible

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm planning on wearing the baby for short outings (grocery store) and around the house up until about 9 mos. (or once they are mobile), and for privacy NIP. I'll use a stroller for longer outings.

Well, this is my PLAN anyway, who knows what will actually happen!

So, I was going to make myself a ring sling. Mostly because the place that I'm registered at does not have any good carriers, and I'm too cheap to buy one. The assembly of a ring sling seems very simple. I don't want to make a huge investment because I don't know how often I'll use it.

Does this seem adequate to you guys?

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#14 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
I'm planning on wearing the baby for short outings (grocery store) and around the house up until about 9 mos. (or once they are mobile), and for privacy NIP. I'll use a stroller for longer outings.

Well, this is my PLAN anyway, who knows what will actually happen!

So, I was going to make myself a ring sling. Mostly because the place that I'm registered at does not have any good carriers, and I'm too cheap to buy one. The assembly of a ring sling seems very simple. I don't want to make a huge investment because I don't know how often I'll use it.

Does this seem adequate to you guys?
Sure! And if you love to wear your babe as they get bigger you will just look around for the next carrier to fit your needs. Just upgrade as you go.
Also if you dont want to sew one you can pick up used RS for MUCH less than if you bought from the manufacturer (in EXCELLENT condition)! On the Trading post here and thebabywearer.com. I got my Elaroo Lightly Padded RS for 25shipped and a Zolo Sage Green Cotton for $45 shipped. Sadly I don't sew (I knit) so the time and energy to put one together is just too much for me.

#15 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM

Has anyone tried one called "peanut shell"? If so, how did you like it?
#16 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM

My "stash" consists of one linen wrap sling.

It's homemade.

We've tried it out with a bag of potatoes and a bag of onions.
#17 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 PM

I have two ring slings I love and used with ds, the moby, and the ergo. If only I had found the moby sooner! Ds was 7 mo. when we bought it and it was the best thing ever. Of course until the ergo arrived and my hubbie would wear ds wherever we went. I wore my child until the first few weeks of pregnancy so he was over 2. So excited for this next one! Looking into a hotsling though, that would be easier in the beginning than a ring sling maybe, especially for around the house.

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#18 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
My "stash" consists of one linen wrap sling.

It's homemade.

We've tried it out with a bag of potatoes and a bag of onions.
Very nice! Is it a shortie and you are wearing it in one of the rebozo carries? Or a long wrap?

#19 of 51 Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
Very nice! Is it a shortie and you are wearing it in one of the rebozo carries? Or a long wrap?
Long wrap. I made it extra long then had dh put in on in a front wrap cross carry and trimmed the ends to fit him.

We still need to go to the fabric store and get him something awesome because I promised him a super-cool sling. Might just get a solid color and do iron-on transfers of something geeky though.
#20 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 AM

I promise I'll do this tomorrow!!! I have my pics on different cd's and they are not labeled I have to look one by one to find them but I have tons!!!!!!!

I used a maya wrap in the beginning of my last pregnancy then a patapum then my beloved ergo that we quit using as soon as I found out I was preggy again

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#21 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
I promise I'll do this tomorrow!!! I have my pics on different cd's and they are not labeled I have to look one by one to find them but I have tons!!!!!!!

I used a maya wrap in the beginning of my last pregnancy then a patapum then my beloved ergo that we quit using as soon as I found out I was preggy again
Awesome! Can't wait to see pics! One question...why did you stop using the ergo when you became pregnant?

#22 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
Awesome! Can't wait to see pics! One question...why did you stop using the ergo when you became pregnant?
because I found out I was preggy very very late. I found out when I was SHOWING already!!! haha! :

We were supposed to be done with kids, I have already found an awesome job, did $3,000 worth it in mesotherapy sessions Our marriage wasn't all that great either... I got preggy in one of those make up nights, drunk I guess lol!!! I don't even know when we got preggy just look at my siggy we are not sure lol!!!! anyways, long story short, I found out when I was almost 3 months preggy and my belly was already showing... I told to myself, there is no way I am constipated!

#23 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 AM

I really only became a "serious" babywearer with my last baby - I use both a hotsling and an ergo regularly. I like the hotsling because I can always have it in my bag and it is really easy to use. I started using when DD was born. When DD was little I used the infant insert with the ergo and she started in there really early too. I particularly like to use the ergo when I know I am going to wear baby for a long time as it is so easy on the shoulders/back, etc. I use the ergo a lot more now that the baby is getting older - it is really comfortable! I still use the ergo regularly at 24 weeks pregnant. Last pregnancy I used it some with my then 17-19 month old DS2 throughout my whole pregnancy - it never bothered me under my belly.

Here's a few pictures

newborn in ergo
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/P3217042.jpg

5 months old - sleeping in hotsling
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/P8128258.jpg

4-5 months hiking with ergo
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/P7148135.jpg

9 months in ergo on back - decorating Christmas tree!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...PC048985-1.jpg
#24 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 AM

I guess as long as the baby is not so heavy you can wear him/her throughout the pregnancy but I can't because my 'baby' turned 3 years old in January.... too heavy to carry... She still fits in the ergo (I love my ergo I have the same color cranberry!!!!) and dh will be wearing her in our trip to Disney

#25 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 PM

yeah, my kid are pretty darn small and they come in 18 month intervals =)

Here's us at Seaworld last weekend (13 months old and 23 weeks pregnant)
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/P4119696.jpg

I love the cranberry color! I love the ergo too, it is just so comfy and looks great on my husband too (which I apparently don't have one picture of! what a loser I am!)

That is crazy on not finding out you were pregnant for so long! I always know pretty quickly - I gain weight like a crazy person starting from day one.
#26 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM

I had a hotsling, but dh put it in the dryer when he helped with laundry before ds2 was born. It is waaaaay too small now. So, I made some pouch slings before ds2 was born. I am getting a moby wrap this time, too.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#27 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 PM

I have one moby wrap, which I've loved from newborn all the way up to today at the mall!

I think I will get a sling this time too though, for the time factor. I can tie my wrap pretty fast, but sometimes not fast enough when chasing my toddler nephew, so I assume I may need a faster option when chasing my 18 mo!

Sort of OT but today at the mall my mom gave me this really awful look while I was tying on my wrap and said, "Why doesn't he like the stroller? All babies like stroller rides, what did you do to him?"

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#28 of 51 Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 PM

I have 2 regular ring slings- I also have a double ring sling- it has 2 straps and you can carry a baby sort of like a mei tei with a ring to adjust. I have a fleece hotsling pouch, which makes it a bit tough to use year round. I also have a mei tei. I don't have lots of pictures of me, but this is wearing my dd#2 in the hotsling. I twisted it since it is actually at least a size too big. Still works this way though. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...e/DSCN0741.jpg

We have a few structured carriers like a Baby Bjorn & a Kelty Backpack since DH refuses to wear the baby in anything else. He thinks it isn't macho enough for him to have a baby in a sling.
#29 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 12:11 AM

I have a maya sling which I bought new for $40, and an over the shoulder baby holder ($3) from a second hand store. I actually prefer the over the shoulder one. It's much more comfortable. The maya sling is good for when they are newborns. (JMO)

I have to say I dont' wear them that long. It starts to hurt my back when they are about 9months old (then, I am usually pregnant lol again!)
#30 of 51 Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 AM

BoBoBo that pic is great! That belt under your belly wasn't uncomfortable? For some reason I can't wear anything under my belly unless is a pregnancy belt which is 5 times wider than the belt from an ergo.... just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
I have to say I dont' wear them that long. It starts to hurt my back when they are about 9months old (then, I am usually pregnant lol again!)
that's exactly what happened to me with my maya, then I had to get a patapum or ergo type of carrier because it helps to distribute the weight throughout your body. I swear I can carry my 3 year old all day and my back won't hurt! Of course I cannot wear her NOW since I am currently preggy

HERE ARE MY PICS!!!! I am so sad I haven't been able to find the ones with my mom carrying my baby in the ergo, sooo cute!!!
My Maya
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3298/sling1mh8.jpg
My Patapum
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9518/patapum1zp7.jpg
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1108/patapum2yi1.jpg
My Ergo
http://photos-054.ll.facebook.com/ph...13788_5411.jpg

I also have a video I posted on youtube wearing my daughter last August, but I am a bit to shy to share it... It was made as a vlog lol!!!

I know I have more pics but I think I have them in the broken hard drive, that's when I gave up on PC's and switched to apple computers.

anyways, I have to admit that I prefer the more structured carrier rather than a sling for nursing older kids. We go to Disney every year and every time I would breastfeed my baby on it no one would notice it... I could even be on line waiting for rides and not one person notice we were breastfeeding... they do look that they wish they had one for their kid at that moment lol!!!!! My ergo is the best carrier I've ever had!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page