Please Help Me With the Wording for My Mother Blessing Invitation - Update in Post #11! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-08-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my third (and probably last) child, and I want to have a Mother Blessing this time around! For those who are not familiar with this type of ceremony, here's a great link that explains the origin and ritual:

http://thebirthsource.homestead.com/blessingway.html
Out of respect for the Navajo tradition and at the request of the Navajo people, I will not be calling this celebration a Blessingway, but rather, a Mother Blessing.

Two friends are helping me coordinate this, and it will be held in my living room - very casual. The majority of the people I will invite are more familiar with traditional baby showers, so I need help with the wording of the invitation so that I can accurately portray the meaning and purpose of this type of event.
So, do any mamas here have any suggestions on how to word the invitations? All input is greatly appreciated
#2 of 11 Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM

there is a great book called Mother Rising that I used to plan my friend's Blessingway (this is what I called it anyway). Good luck and enjoy the experience!
#3 of 11 Old 05-08-2008, 04:14 PM

I like how the sample invite on the site you listed gives instructions on what kinds of "stuff" to bring... I think that helps describe the event for those not familiar with what it means. Maybe you could have a traditional invitation (not cutesy though, one that gives the feel of the event) and then have a secondary insert card describing what it is and what to bring?

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#4 of 11 Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Subbing for ideas too

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#5 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 01:43 AM

I wish I can offer some advice or I wish I had one! My friend (totally mainstream) is going to do me a babyshower and since we are inviting the men too with the kids, there is no way I can get away with a blessingway lol! Good Luck with yours!!!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#6 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 12:38 PM

Another thought, how many people are you inviting? What if instead of a regular invite you wrote a personal letter to each woman explaining the meaning of the event and your wish for her to be there as an important person in your life? That way you aren't limited to this "who what where" format. And those who know you, even if they aren't familiar with non-traditional stuff, will understand it better beforehand I think.

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#7 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM

I just wanted to say thanks for starting this discussion. I mentioned it to a friend, and she offered to help me with one. This is my last baby, and I wanted a special way of honoring this period in my life.

Thanks!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#8 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys - I'm considering all of your suggestions and working with a friend to try and come up with something that can succinctly explain the meaning of the ceremony (only so much space on an invitation!) and tell them what to bring. I will update when I can - this is harder than I thought it would be. So far I know I want each participant to bring one wood or glass bead for each child she has to make the birth necklace. I'm also poking around the net looking for good quotes (spiritual but not hokey) about motherhood...
#9 of 11 Old 05-09-2008, 02:26 PM

My sister wanted to do a shower for me. It was our second son though, so I didn't need any STUFF, and wanted a mother's blessing as well. Neither my sister nor most of the guests had ever attended such a thing (I'd only read abotu them!) and i'm trying to remember how we worded it......
something like this I think...

You are invited to a Mother's Blessing to help [brightonwoman] celebrate the impending arrival of her son.
Please bring a bead that represents your hopes, thoughts, and wishes for her--we will be putting these on a bracelet for her to wear in labor.
Please do not bring baby gifts--she doesn't need anything. Instead we invite you to bring an item for her nurture basket (for pregnancy, labor, or postpartum pampering).

That's roughly what I remember.
I'd be happy to answer questions about specifically what we did and all...
I ended up totally forgetting to wear the bracelet in labor (although I did have it with me at the hospital), but I did later string those same beads onto a nursing necklace for my ds!
It was really cool to see my very mainstream extended family participate in burning our tigers (birthing from within thing), sharing the beads, and tying everyone together with red yarn to represent the interconnectedness of things/people. Most of my SILs are done having kids, but two of my neices were there, and I would like to hope that the experience helped them see birth in a more positive light, you know? (I do think it was really healing for my one SIL who has had all c/s).

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#10 of 11 Old 05-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Amy - Thanks again for posting this. My friend and I are so excited about this. She had a few done in her honor during her first birth (which followed a loss). She dropped off a few books for me to help me think about what I want. So very exciting!

I am thinking about having something outside on the evening of August 16th -- full moon!

Thanks again!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#11 of 11 Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I went with this invitation (same font and ink color as in the example):

http://www.iby.com/Printed-Invitatio...l/Calla-Lily_2

I picked the Calla Lily one because it is so natural and serene, which is the "feel" I'm trying to achieve. The wording goes like this:

Please join us for a

Mother Blessing

honoring

My Name

as we celebrate the journey of all mothers and the creation of a new life

Saturday, the twenty-first of June

Two o 'clock in the afternoon

My Address

Please bring a glass or wooden bead symbolizing each of your children for the creation of a birth bracelet

RSVP to My Friend xxx-xxx-xxxx

or My Friend@xxxxxx.net

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page