So Sick of the Comments Regarding My Plan to Have an Unmedicated Birth... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Epi drugs can be found in the BABY'S brain 6 weeks, yes 6 WEEKS, after birth.

More afraid of that than of a "natural" birth.

Like others said, I don't want a drugged up babe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 PM

(Lurking from the July ddc) When I was pregnant last time, the worst comment I got was from this acquaintance (a customer I see a lot at work). He asked me about my birth and when I told him it was going to be a natural homebirth he said "you won't be able to make it, you better make a backup plan now because I know you won't be able to handle the pain. My wife was a marathon runner and she couldn't do it without an epidural." I was so mad! I just told him "women have been doing this for thousands of years at home and my body is built to know exactly what it is doing." He gave me a comment like well we'll see who's right after the fact, I know you'll regret your decision. It felt so good seeing him after my daughter was born and telling him all about my perfect homebirth experience.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#33 of 35 Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
(Lurking from the July ddc) When I was pregnant last time, the worst comment I got was from this acquaintance (a customer I see a lot at work). He asked me about my birth and when I told him it was going to be a natural homebirth he said "you won't be able to make it, you better make a backup plan now because I know you won't be able to handle the pain. My wife was a marathon runner and she couldn't do it without an epidural." I was so mad! I just told him "women have been doing this for thousands of years at home and my body is built to know exactly what it is doing." He gave me a comment like well we'll see who's right after the fact, I know you'll regret your decision. It felt so good seeing him after my daughter was born and telling him all about my perfect homebirth experience.
ha! I love stories like that!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#34 of 35 Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 PM

I couldn't believe the number of comments I got for my 2nd birth after having an awful time with the epi (long, long story) and lots of bad (not tragic, just bad) things happening to me and baby. People were STILL telling me that I couldn't do it natural, but like some of the pp's, I was more afraid of the drugs than the pain. I would tell my story about my first and that usually shut them up.

I made it through dd2's birth and it was awesome (although, yes, very painful at times and at times I thought I wouldn't make it, but I was truly opposed to drugs).

Now, people don't say anythign, they just assume that I won't have drugs Of course, I'm also the wierdo who nurses for so long and tandems and all that
#35 of 35 Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Another lurker here!

My first DS was born when I was 19, and the nurse on duty with me was really pushing me hard the entire labor to have an epidural. She kept telling me in a really condescending tone of voice that, "No one gets through this without one", and really looking down her nose at me. This was with me repeating over and over firmly that I was NOT having the epi.

Well, I'm stubborn, and so when she said that, it just made me all the more determined. She doesn't know it, but her words have rung in my ears for the last 18 years, and I have NOT had an epi yet with 4 births (2 of which were very difficult). I don't know what her intention was, but her words all those years ago have actually helped me to have the births that I've wanted! I almost wish I could find her and share that with her!

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page