Birth Plans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in dire need of coming up with a birth plan. I had an AWSOME one with my 2 previous babies, but when I was in the hospital with Sarah my computer fried and I lost it. I am planning a homebirth, but in the event of a complication that will require a hospital delivery or a transfer I want to have a birth plan ready for a VBAC and/or C-section. Anyone have one they will share???
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM

Heres mine:

During Labor:

I would like the freedom to move around so I am requesting not to have an IV in.

I would like fetal monitoring to be done with a doppler.

I am looking forward to having a natural childbirth. Please don't offer any pain medication.

I would like internal exams to only be done at my request.

I do not want the use of forceps or vacuum unless all other options have been exhausted.

I would like to avoid an episitomy.

After the Birth:

I do not want the cord cut until after it has stopped pulsating

I would like to breastfeed immediately or as soon as possible

To hold my baby right away, putting off any procedures that aren’t urgent for the first hour.

Not to get routine oxytocin (pitocin).

If the baby needs to be warmed, I prefer to use skin to skin contact warming under a blanket rather than the warmer.

Since I am breastfeeding please do not give the babies pacifiers or bottles.

Please understand we feel very strongly about not vaccinating. We are declining all vaccinations as well as eye ointment and the vitamin k shot. If a medical emergency were to arise we will consent, at that time, to an oral dose of viatmin K.

We are planning on having the PKU test done through our own peditrician.

We would like all exams of the babies to either be done in our room or while my husband or I is present.

I would not like the first bath done until the second day.

In the event of a c section:

To breastfeed my baby in the recovery room
My husband to stay with the baby at all times/I do not want the baby to go to the nursery at any time.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Since I am birthing at home with a mw I am very relax about everything, I haven't done any specific birth plan. I do have a few things to tell my mw and that is to keep the cord intact until the placenta comes out. I also want to give birth IN the water. She tells me that I might change my mind set that I really want to do it in the water. I feel so connected to the water/ocean as it is since I am a cancer, so I am pretty sure I'll do this in the water like I want. Also, my mom is bringing a white dress for my mw to wear while I am in labor. I want hubby to wear white also. I might have my daughters wear white also for pictures. I guess I need to write these things down lol

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Does your doctor still have a copy of your old birth plan in your file? You might be able to get a copy and just retype it and make any needed changes/updates. I know my doctor saves everything. It might be worth a try.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM

:

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 PM

As I mentioned in the c/s birth plan thread, get everything you can written onto your chart.

The shorter the list of optional items, the more likely it is to actually be read.

And discuss your list with your care provider, NOW.

(Part of why I'm homebirthing is that I hate that people have to use language like "we would like" in birth plans.)
Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
As I mentioned in the c/s birth plan thread, get everything you can written onto your chart.

The shorter the list of optional items, the more likely it is to actually be read.

And discuss your list with your care provider, NOW.

(Part of why I'm homebirthing is that I hate that people have to use language like "we would like" in birth plans.)
Well...getting everything in your chart would be fine if I had a Dr, but I don't...lol. Also...your chart does not go with you from the Dr's office when you go to the hospital. All that is sent over is a copy of your prenatal record form.

Alicia

Old 05-24-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia9178 View Post
Well...getting everything in your chart would be fine if I had a Dr, but I don't...lol. Also...your chart does not go with you from the Dr's office when you go to the hospital. All that is sent over is a copy of your prenatal record form.

Alicia
Hmm, can understand not having a doctor, but for people who have doctors that sounds really stupid (stupid of them to do, not stupid of you to believe). The reason I always tell people to get stuff put on their charts as doctor's orders is because that's what my mom's doctor did with her VBAC. Mom went in prepared to discuss this list of things with him and he was like "sure no problem, we'll make sure this is on your chart so there's no confusion."
Old 05-24-2008, 09:41 PM

My birth plan:

Give birth.

Sorry... I don't have one since I am UCing, and if I transfer, it will be for some terrible emergency where I won't really care what happens as long as they keep everyone alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
I also want to give birth IN the water. She tells me that I might change my mind set that I really want to do it in the water. I feel so connected to the water/ocean as it is since I am a cancer, so I am pretty sure I'll do this in the water like I want.
I was sure of that too, with my last labor. I have an affinity for water as well... I chatted while sitting in the bathtub every night while pregnant with my son. I swam almost every day. I had the birth pool and everything, and I labored in it -- it was great. Then I hit transition and said, "GET ME OUT". The midwife kept asking if I was sure, since I was so adamant to have a waterbirth I dunno why I wanted out, I just did. So don't be surprised. I am trying again with this surrobabe. We'll see what happens
Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopzmom View Post
Heres mine:

During Labor:

I would like the freedom to move around so I am requesting not to have an IV in.

I would like fetal monitoring to be done with a doppler.

I am looking forward to having a natural childbirth. Please don't offer any pain medication.

I would like internal exams to only be done at my request.

I do not want the use of forceps or vacuum unless all other options have been exhausted.

I would like to avoid an episitomy.

After the Birth:

I do not want the cord cut until after it has stopped pulsating

I would like to breastfeed immediately or as soon as possible

To hold my baby right away, putting off any procedures that aren’t urgent for the first hour.

Not to get routine oxytocin (pitocin).

If the baby needs to be warmed, I prefer to use skin to skin contact warming under a blanket rather than the warmer.

Since I am breastfeeding please do not give the babies pacifiers or bottles.

Please understand we feel very strongly about not vaccinating. We are declining all vaccinations as well as eye ointment and the vitamin k shot. If a medical emergency were to arise we will consent, at that time, to an oral dose of viatmin K.

We are planning on having the PKU test done through our own peditrician.

We would like all exams of the babies to either be done in our room or while my husband or I is present.

I would not like the first bath done until the second day.

In the event of a c section:

To breastfeed my baby in the recovery room
My husband to stay with the baby at all times/I do not want the baby to go to the nursery at any time.
I just copied and pasted this entire post to formulte our birth plan. I agree with every single thing mentioned here, I was just having a hard time putting it all together. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM

Thanks for posting this! I was just talking to a doula friend this weekend about birth plans and if she thought it was useful with my dr. (She's been a doula at her deliveries.) I have many of the same wishes as you do.

I agree that it seems best to keep it short and simple!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
I just copied and pasted this entire post to formulte our birth plan. I agree with every single thing mentioned here, I was just having a hard time putting it all together. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
awww thanks. I'm glad you could use it. I worked hard on it

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 PM

I also tell the dr/nurses face to face that I want to be fully informed of the exact reasons why they suggest something to me (I am intelligent I can understand and the possible side effects, negative outcomes.

so no = we'd like to check you now...
but WHY they want to check me right then...

I hate hate hate not being told reasons even if they don't make medical sense like your healthcare provider has a hunch about something is much better IMO than 'we're going to check you now' like it has to be done for a real reason not to fill out some box on a chart...

8 might be enough
Old 05-28-2008, 05:36 PM

poopzmom - you just wrote my birht plan. THANKS!!! I needed some major help!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 AM

We're doing a homebirth and the midwife and I are on the same exact page, so my homebirth plan isn't long at all. Just a few things I want written so there is no confusion about things. I did write a cesarean birth plan too in the event of a transfer. My MW does not have hospital privileges at my local hospital, so if I'm transfered it's only for a c.

XXXX Family Homebirth Birth Plan

It is very important to us to keep a peaceful and quiet home while the birthing process is taking place. Should April say that she “cannot do this,” she does not mean it. Please give her gentle and loving reassurance.

Desires delivery in birthing pool or birthing stool

Delayed Cord Clamping

No Vitamin K, no eye ointment, or any other injections/vaccinations

XXX Family Transfer (Cesarean Birth Plan)
Anesthesia
•I would like to remain awake during the procedure.

Surgery
•I would prefer for my arms not to be strapped down/restrained so I can touch my baby.
•We would appreciate being kept informed during the surgery.
•If possible, please show us our baby briefly before taking him to be cleaned.
•Sean would like to cut the cord.
•Sean and I would like to hold our baby as soon as possible, even if for a second
•Sean would like to take photographs and film when possible.
•Sean is not to leave the baby’s side at any time during hospitalization.
•Colleen Clemons is to remain with me in Sean’s absence.
•Any pain medications should be compatible with breastfeeding please.
•I would like to be able to return to my room as quickly as possible after the operation.
•I would like to be able to breastfeed as soon as possible.
•Absolutely no supplementation of any sort is permitted. We are aware of the risks associated with this.
•No vitamin K shot
•No eye ointment
•No vaccinations of any sort –we have a religious exemption
•No testing of any sort may be permitted without consent

Postpartum and Baby Care
•I would like Sean to stay with the baby at all times if I can’t be there.
•Breast feeding only – I would like to start as soon as I am able to and would appreciate any assistance/advice.
•Absolutely no supplementation of any sort is permitted. We are aware of the risks associated with this.
•No pacifiers are permitted.
•Non-urgent procedures (such as first bath) – I request these to be delayed until after my return to the room.
•No visitors to be allowed to visit before my return from recovery.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apelilae View Post
XXX Family Transfer (Cesarean Birth Plan)
Anesthesia
•I would like to remain awake during the procedure.

Surgery
•I would prefer for my arms not to be strapped down/restrained so I can touch my baby.
•We would appreciate being kept informed during the surgery.
•If possible, please show us our baby briefly before taking him to be cleaned.
•Sean would like to cut the cord.
•Sean and I would like to hold our baby as soon as possible, even if for a second
•Sean would like to take photographs and film when possible.
•Sean is not to leave the baby’s side at any time during hospitalization.
•Colleen Clemons is to remain with me in Sean’s absence.
•Any pain medications should be compatible with breastfeeding please.
•I would like to be able to return to my room as quickly as possible after the operation.
•I would like to be able to breastfeed as soon as possible.
•No vitamin K shot
•No eye ointment
•No vaccinations of any sort –we have a religious exemption
•No testing of any sort may be permitted without consent

Postpartum and Baby Care
•I would like Sean to stay with the baby at all times if I can’t be there.
•Breast feeding only – I would like to start as soon as I am able to and would appreciate any assistance/advice.
•No pacifiers are permitted.
•Non-urgent procedures (such as first bath) – I request these to be delayed until after my return to the room.
•No visitors to be allowed to visit before my return from recovery.

THIS ROCKS!!! I am going to use a lot of this for mine (if you do not mind)....GREAT JOB!!
Alicia
Alicia

Old 06-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Go for it Alicia! I found a similar one online and just made a few changes for me.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM

Subbing as I really need to write one and take it to my next mw appt.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Dear Healthcare Providers:

This birth plan is intended to express the preference and desires we have for the birth of our baby. It is not intended to be a script. We fully realize that situations may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, we hope that barring any extenuating circumstances, you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options. Your support and understanding are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Please attach this to my prenatal record and make it available to all physicians/ staff who may be attending the birth should you not be attending us. I will provide extra copies.

**I trust that my practitioner will seek out my opinion concerning all of the issues directly affecting my birth BEFORE deviating from my plan.

First Stage of Labor

We have chosen the HypnoBirthing method of a quiet, relaxed natural birth.

-We request:

1. If possible, to be assigned a nurse who is partial to natural birthing.

2. If I am less than 5cm dilated, I would like the option of returning home.

3. To self-hydrate and decline routine IV prep upon admission.

Environment

1. Upon arrival at the hospital I prefer to have my husband with me at all times. As well as my doula.

2. Please no residents or students attending my birth.

3. If birth equipment is available I would like to use: a birthing bed, a yoga ball (will bring with me), a birthing stool, and a squatting bar.

4. We would like dim Lights, peace and quiet, and music of our choice (or my preference to wear a headset). We kindly ask that medical personnel speak softly.

Pain Relief

Please only offer pain medications if I ask for them. If I choose drugs, my preference is a walking epidural.

I am prepared to try to handle pain with these natural and alternative methods:

-Hypnotherapy, breathing techniques, massage, deep (or guided) relaxation.

Other considerations:

-Ultimately I want to be able to walk around and move as I wish while in labor.

- Please keep my door always closed during labor.

Monitoring

I prefer the baby to be monitored intermittently using Doppler.

Second Stage of Labor

As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing.

I would like to be encouraged to try the following different positions for labor: Squatting, classic semi-recline, hands and knees, on the toilet, standing upright, side lying, or whatever feels right at the time.

Episiotomy

I prefer to have no episiotomy and risk tearing (unless I’m having a medical emergency).

To help prevent tearing, please use warm-oil compresses. No perinatal massage to perineum.

Other considerations:

1. If possible, please allow the shoulders and body of my baby to be born spontaneously.

2. Please use local anesthetic for repairs.

Delivery

It is important to me to push instinctively. I do not want to be told how and when to push.

After baby is born:

1. As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my baby placed immediately on my abdomen.

2. We request complete birthing before suctioning baby’s nose and throat.

3. Please put my baby skin to skin on my abdomen with a warm blanket over it.

4. Please do not separate me and my baby until after my baby has successfully breastfed.

5. Please delay all essential routine procedures on my baby until after the bonding and breastfeeding period (ie. Bathing)

Third Stage of Labor

PLEASE WAIT FOR THE UMBILICAL CORD TO STOP PULSATING BEFORE IT IS CLAMPED OR CUT.

Please allow my partner to cut the cord.

Placenta: I would prefer for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of pitocin and/ or manual extraction. We would like the baby brought to the breast to assist in placenta expulsion.

Newborn Procedures

If the baby has any problems, I would like my husband to be present with the baby at all times.

I would like all newborn procedures performed in my presence.

- No administration of eyedrops to my baby and I am willing to sign a formal waiver if need be.

- Please do not administer vitamin K to my baby.

- I prefer all immunizations be postponed until a later time.

Please allow vernix to be absorbed into baby’s skin; delay “cleaning or rubbing.” Use of a soft cloth, not terry, when rubbing is appropriate.

Bathing baby: We would like to give our baby its first bath. Please help direct us in this process at the hospital.

DO NOT CIRCUMCISE OUR BABY BOY.

OUR BABY WILL BE BREASTFED- NO BOTTLES, PACIFIERS, OR SUGAR WATER.

We are interested in early checkout from the hospital.

We thank you in advance for your support and kind attention to our choices. We know you join us in looking forward to a beautiful birth and celebration of this new life.

Sincerely, *********
Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 PM

A friend just forwarded me this...
http://www.childbirth.org/interactive/ibirthplan.html

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM

That page was great. I just did mine.I was not planning on doing one but what if I end up in the hospital, now I have something... I asked my midwife last time and she said it was up to me but it wasn't necessary. I did end up with a wonderful birth last time at home.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

User Tag List