Mothering Forum banner

Braxton Hicks?

901 views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  veronicalynne 
#1 ·
I started to get noticeable bh contractions yesterday that were actually painful. Is anyone else getting these? I don't recall getting these so strongly with my other pregnancies.

#4 ·
I've been getting them since about week 19 (super early, IMO!) and they've gotten stronger in the last couple of weeks. I got them in my first pregnancy as well, but not as often/intensely. I know BH aren't supposed to hurt, and these aren't like, killer, but they are tight! I asked my MW and she said not to worry (unless there were other PTL kinds of things, which there haven't been).

#8 ·
I have been having them on and off for weeks. Sometimes they hurt...sometimes I just notice that my belly is rock hard. As far as I am concerned and from what I have learned they are normal as long as they are not regular and as long as you do not have more then 6 per hour.
Alicia

#9 ·
Mine have been bad also! Right around 4pm they start up and I have to basically halt all major activity or else they get really strong, I would not say hurt since I know what actual labor feels like
but they are uncomfortable

#10 ·
I get a lot of them too and they can be quite "strong" (not compared to actual labour but for BH). I got a lot with my son too but I seem to notice more this time around. I usually just try to take it easy if they're coming more frequently than I'd like and drink lots of water as someone else mentioned. I usually don't worry about them but I've had a few times this pregnancy that I've become a bit freaked at how many I've had in hour... but with no other troublesome symptoms I just try to rest and they usually settle down.

#11 ·
I've been having them since week 19 and was even given a script for Procardia at week 23 because I have them so often. They weren't so bad then, but as I get bigger, they get more and more painful. It seems whenever the baby goes through a growth spurt I get a lot of them, sometimes as often as every 2-3 minutes for a few hours.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NormaJean13 View Post
I've been having them since week 19 and was even given a script for Procardia at week 23 because I have them so often. They weren't so bad then, but as I get bigger, they get more and more painful. It seems whenever the baby goes through a growth spurt I get a lot of them, sometimes as often as every 2-3 minutes for a few hours.
I've been told the procardia will make my BP too low, so I'm stuck without meds

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
I've been told the procardia will make my BP too low, so I'm stuck without meds
You know what though, I don't take them because I like to know what's going on. I figure I'm going to have these contractions no matter what, so as long as labor isn't imminent, what's the point of taking them? Especially since there's really no data out there about what effect it might have on a baby.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NormaJean13 View Post
It seems whenever the baby goes through a growth spurt I get a lot of them, sometimes as often as every 2-3 minutes for a few hours.
that can explain my contractions!! my baby moves too much, I mean so much they can really hurt sometimes so I wonder if he is the cause of my set of real contractions... he is so freaking rough!

#16 ·
I get them everyday. I got hit with a painful one while driving home Sunday night. I just breathe through it and drink some water while reminding myself that my body is preparing for the real deal.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
that can explain my contractions!! my baby moves too much, I mean so much they can really hurt sometimes so I wonder if he is the cause of my set of real contractions... he is so freaking rough!
I think definitely that can cause it - my LO moving around a lot sets them off.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OhMel View Post
This will be my third babe and the BH contractions seem much more noticeable/painful with this one.
This is actually my 4th pregnancy (the first one was a miscarriage so I dont know if it "counts"). Maybe the BH are stronger with subsequent pregnancies or something......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.