finger tip dialated at 28 weeks...does that mean anything? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to go to L&D this weekend for some extreme lower back pain that I couldn't get to lessen up...I thought it might be a kidney infection or something, so I went in to get checked out.

It ended up being diagnosed as really bad muscular pain. The nurse did an internal exam just to be safe since I was having some BH contractions, and she said I was finger tip dialated. I thought that was kind of normal for a second pregnancy after delivering vaginally, but she said she'd rather I be tightly closed. There was also a small amount of blood on her glove when she pulled out from the exam. The on-call OB did not seem to care that I was finger tip dialated. Ultrasound showed my cervix was still long.

So, does that mean anything? They told me to watch for other signs of preterm labor, take it easy, and stay hydrated. Should I be worried, or is finger tip dialation normal for some women at this point?

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#2 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned especially since the OB wasn't.

I would think that with this being your 2nd you would dilate sooner. As long as you don't feel contractions and are having no other problems (pre-tern labor) I wouldn't worry.

Jenn
#3 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 PM

I think being finger tip dilated at 28 weeks means that you need to be more careful about getting things inside your vagina, but otherwise it doesn't really mean anything.
#4 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 AM

I was a finger tip at 31 weeks with my last pg, it didn't turn out to be an issue at all. Delivered at 40 weeks!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#5 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Sapphire...LOL...poor DH hasn't been allowed to put anything in there for a loooong time. Poor guy.

I forgot to mention that she's already moved into the head down position as well! I don't mind if she doesn't make it to 40, but I'd like her to wait a good 6-8 more weeks!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June

#6 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:37 PM

I think I've read somewhere that after you've had a vaginal birth, your cervix is going to always be a fingertip "dilated"...even when not preggo.

Good that she's head down. Mine got head down at 26 weeks. At least it feels that way.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#7 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 PM

I second no more internal exams...every person that checks will have different measurements this early.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#8 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I think being finger tip dilated at 28 weeks means that you need to be more careful about getting things inside your vagina, but otherwise it doesn't really mean anything.
I agree. Any bacteria can now travel up through the opening and possibly break your water too early (happened to me!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
Sapphire...LOL...poor DH hasn't been allowed to put anything in there for a loooong time. Poor guy.
My DH feels his pain
#9 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Definitely would like to avoid any more internal exams...my cervix is very very very high up in there, so the nurse was pretty much up past her wrist trying to find it. FUN....NOT. :

I did want her to do it though...I had tried to feel it on my own after all the BH and the back pain and I couldn't reach it. No more though!

I can tell her head is on my cervix, I've been feeling those twingy cervix pains today that I remember from my first pregnancy. Oh joy.

#10 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 AM

You all aren't having sex??

I would go CRAZY!! (Last night was good LOL)

And I found the orgasms helped me with bladder control and I think it helped strengthen my uterus for labor too..

I feel so bad for you mamas on bedrest and who can't have sex...man, I would freak(and so would DH! LOL)

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page