Time to Rant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, firstly, how much blood to people need to suck out of me before they can tell me I'm OK!?

My midwife wants to get blood drawn to test for anemia. Didn't I have this test earlier? I don't feel or look anemic at all. She also wants to test platelets. Pretty sure they tested for that before too.

I keep stalling and stalling the GD test, because frankly I'm terrified of it.

I always feel like my midwife is annoyed with me.

I feel FABULOUS (aside from the PUPPP and being a little tired). Why can't you just take my blood pressure, measure my fundal height and let it go!? Why am I assumed to be not OK until proven otherwise?

I feel like I don't deserve to be healthy. Everyone's looking for something wrong with me.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#2 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 04:45 PM

I feel you pain...rant away!!!
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#3 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Let it out!!! You don't need to internalize any stress I realized though that so many people treat pregnancy as a disease and that's where this stupid mindset comes from.

And you don't have to take the GD test if you don't want to, or are scared of what it may say. Does your mw want you to do the glucola test? Mine has me eating a special breakfast, maybe something you can suggest to her?

Hang in there mama. Be happy with yourself knowing you're healthy

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#4 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredyth0315 View Post
Let it out!!! You don't need to internalize any stress I realized though that so many people treat pregnancy as a disease and that's where this stupid mindset comes from.

And you don't have to take the GD test if you don't want to, or are scared of what it may say. Does your mw want you to do the glucola test? Mine has me eating a special breakfast, maybe something you can suggest to her?

Hang in there mama. Be happy with yourself knowing you're healthy
See, I chose this midwife because I thought she wouldn't have that mindset. She's hard to read, though.

She really wants me to take the GD test because I have a family history of type 2 diabetes (My Mom has it, along with 5 other aunts/uncles). However, I was told I was hypoglycemic when I was about 14 years old and going from a hypoglycemic lifestyle to a diabetic one seems really ridiculous to me. Does that make any sense? I'm not really afraid of having GD, I'm afraid of NOT being hypoglycemic anymore (because I've lived so long believing that I am).

#5 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
See, I chose this midwife because I thought she wouldn't have that mindset. She's hard to read, though.

She really wants me to take the GD test because I have a family history of type 2 diabetes (My Mom has it, along with 5 other aunts/uncles). However, I was told I was hypoglycemic when I was about 14 years old and going from a hypoglycemic lifestyle to a diabetic one seems really ridiculous to me. Does that make any sense? I'm not really afraid of having GD, I'm afraid of NOT being hypoglycemic anymore (because I've lived so long believing that I am).
It makes perfect sense! Would she be open for a compromise like testing your sugars daily to see what - if anything - is going on?

#6 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Why don't you get a script for a glucometer and test strips and take your blood sugars for a week or so as a compromise. Then you do not have to put that crap into your body for the test and you can get her the information she "needs".
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#7 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It makes perfect sense! Would she be open for a compromise like testing your sugars daily to see what - if anything - is going on?
She isn't opposed to that at all. She's given me many different options for this, and would probably be open to anything.

The problem is that I'm so overwhelmed by all of it that I really don't know what to do, and I can't express how I'm feeling very effectively to her. So, she mostly just seems annoyed and frustrated with me.

#8 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
She isn't opposed to that at all. She's given me many different options for this, and would probably be open to anything.

The problem is that I'm so overwhelmed by all of it that I really don't know what to do, and I can't express how I'm feeling very effectively to her. So, she mostly just seems annoyed and frustrated with me.
It is overwhelming and that part sucks. I wish your mw wouldn't openly seem annoyed with you. These are issues we have to deal with and getting attitude doesn't help I was ready to refuse the test until I saw that it was a normal breakfast, but more than I would usually eat. I think that maybe the daily testing would be good considering you don't have to do anything special, no testing and you can eat what you normally would, so that would be the best indicator plus less stress. I would put off thinking about it for a day or so just to clear your head and come back to it when you feel up to it.

#9 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would put off thinking about it for a day or so just to clear your head and come back to it when you feel up to it.
That would be lovely. Except, when I decided to do the glucose screening a different way she insisted that she had to take blood that day anyway (for what I described in the op). I had a small meltdown, because I wasn't feeling well and I hadn't eaten well that day. She was like, "Fine, I'll give you a form for LabCorp, I don't want you passing out or anything."

I said I'd do it within the next week and she replied with, "No, you have to do it with in the next two days."

#10 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:

That would be lovely. Except, when I decided to do the glucose screening a different way she insisted that she had to take blood that day anyway (for what I described in the op). I had a small meltdown, because I wasn't feeling well and I hadn't eaten well that day. She was like, "Fine, I'll give you a form for LabCorp, I don't want you passing out or anything."

I said I'd do it within the next week and she replied with, "No, you have to do it with in the next two days."
Oh mama, that's awful! I didn't realize you were put on such a tight schedule I passed out at the 3 hour one with my first at Quest, just too much on my body, nerves and all. If she's that insistent, if you can, go pick up the monitor, lancets & alcohol pads at the drug store and do the testing yourself tomorrow and avoid the lab

#11 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
My midwife wants to get blood drawn to test for anemia. Didn't I have this test earlier? I don't feel or look anemic at all. She also wants to test platelets. Pretty sure they tested for that before too.
Hmmm - I see an OB every two weeks (cervix issues), and the only time they ever checked for anemia was at the very first blood draw at the intake visit. This is my third pregnancy, and I've only been tested for anemia once during each one (at the very beginning). Why is she testing again if you have no symptoms?
And what is she testing platelets for?
#12 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 PM

You know, you CAN refuse tests. It's your body. Will your MW drop you if you refuse the tests?

Regarding the blood tests, I remember when I was pg with my son, the midwife wanted me to to take a "baseline" iron test in the beginning, and then another one with a hematocrit around 30 weeks, so I guess it is "standard"? Your iron levels can change in pregnancy, and they just want to make sure you're not anemic.

This time I am doing an unassisted pregnancy, so I haven't done any tests other than taking my blood pressure and home urinalysis. My iron wasn't low at all with my son's pregnancy, and it wasn't low the whole time I had an IUD (with a copper IUD, you bleed heavier during menstruation than you do without one, so they like to check iron levels periodically), so I am guessing my iron is just fine this time too, and forgoing any kind of testing.
#13 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I would ask her to explain her reasoning behind taking more blood and tell her you're not interested in the GD test. It's kind of a silly test anyway. I took it only out of morbid curiosity. Honestly, I eat nothing but crap (Taco Bell, McDonald's, kids' cereal, with the occasional green leafy vegetable thrown in) and I passed with an extremely low score, yet the vegetarian marathon runner in my Bradley class measured in the 200's. It's not a scientific test and if it is stressing you out, just tell her you'd like to pass on it.

#14 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM

want a new midwife?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#15 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
want a new midwife?
No. It's not her fault. It's definitely me, and I would have these problems with any midwife/doctor.

#16 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

i'm sorry that you're going through this.

at what point do you say "no, i'm employing you. i do not want to take this test. i will not take this test as i see it as unnecessary." and leave it go?
#17 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
No. It's not her fault. It's definitely me, and I would have these problems with any midwife/doctor.
I'm not so sure...

Do you know what you want/ how you want your pregnancy care to go and can express that?

I don't understand the GD testing at all. I mean, I hadn't ever heard of it before i came to the pg threads here in December, it seems like it's all the rage in the US (and Canada??).

As far as anemia goes, if you don't have any symptoms... I guess you could just let her prick your finger to make her happy if you wanted to.

I guess I just don't get why pg women have to jump through so many hoops for nothing.... a solid "boo" from my corner of the bleachers. (I'm in a good mood, really! Some types of so called "care" for pg women just really frustrate me!)

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#18 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM

I think most women are tested for anemia at the beginning and around 20 weeks.

It sounds like you're frustrated because you can't convey your thoughts to your midwife. Are you just worried about questioning the tests in front of her?

What I would do is write down everything that you've listed here and why you don't want to take the test. At the beginning of your next appt, just let her know you have concerns about the testing and go down the list. That way, she isn't saying, "Well, it's time to do XX." and you're too frustrated/nervous to say anything.
#19 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not really afraid of having GD, I'm afraid of NOT being hypoglycemic anymore (because I've lived so long believing that I am).
People change. Pregnancy in particular plays with the endocrine system. If for some reason you aren't hypoglycemic anymore, that doesn't mean that you weren't last fall or even last trimester.

Heck, maybe you'll get out of this pregnancy no longer having to eat every hour to avoid fainting! Win!
#20 of 20 Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM

My midwife has done almost no testing at all.

At last weeks visit I asked her about the GD test cause she hadn't even brought it up, and she was like, oh, we didn't do that? did you want to? If you want to, just eat a normal breakfast and then drink a glass of juice quickly (cranberry, grape or orange) and come in within an hour and we'll test you. She was so relaxed and optional about it. I doubt she would have mentioned it if I hadn't asked. I also raised the rhogam question with her, and again she gave me info and choice.

Other than that, nothing. No blood draws or anything since the very beginning. Just the urine test, I weigh myself and write it down, fundal height and check heartbeat. That's all. See ya next time. Do your kids want any of these homemade cookies.

They're really not all the same, care providers. She mostly wants to know how *I* feel -- if I feel good and the baby's kicking and has a heartbeat -- we're fine.

(On the minus side though, the consulting doc is fairly worried about my specific issues with vba2c and asking me to consider other options, ie. repeat c-section.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page