What is everyone's plans advice for getting back into a different shape post partum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the gym...
I got on the treadmill....
yes they put turtles on there
I was doing a 2.0 on it...usually I can do a 4.0-5.0...with a huge incline.
I am pregnant and slow like turtle.

I am also gained a tonne in the second trimester..
I am now 10lbs heaver than I tell people I am
I got preg at 155...I am now pushing 190 and I think I only gained 10lbs in the first tri...yep.... that's 25lbs in 3 months...

So I am trying to figure out what should I plan on doing post partum to help me get back into my old pants ....

Breastfeeding OF COURSE
(*lol I toyed with pump and dump or look for breastmilk donation nothing like expelling a few hundred calories while watching tv....KIDDING)
what else are you planning, or what helped you before?

8 might be enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Last time around, I was 160 lb before getting pregnant and topped out at over 200 pounds. Then, the twins were born. Between nursing twins for two years and caring for them, chasing them around once they got mobile, etc., my weight dropped to 145 or so (I am on the talli-sh side) and my shape totally changed; I went from Reubenesque to almost ironing-board-like.

So, the totality of my post-partum weight loss/ shape-regaining plan is to nurse this little guy like mad and continue raising free-range, tv-free, maniacal little ones who seem to be the best weight-loss plan I've ever tried.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM

My first baby, the weight literally just fell off of me without even trying. It was awesome. With my dd the weight simply wouldn't budge. I became pg with baby #3 a good deal heavier than I ever should have been.

I'm determined after this baby to lose all the weight and then some. I've done pretty well as far as gaining so far, which should help. I'll most likely do weight watchers and then ease back into walking/running when I feel up to it. Eventually I'd like to do the couch to 5k and then plan a race or fun run so I have some sort of goal to work towards. It does get a bit difficult because I travel quite a bit for work and staying diligent while on the road gets tough. :

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 06-06-2008, 05:43 PM

I usually give myself a month or so to lose the 20 or so pounds that come off with no effort and then I start trying to hit 30 minutes of exercising a day plus going on a really healthy eating program like Eat to Live. I started running last year and I really really miss it. I can't wait to start back up so I can get that emotional calm.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post
Eventually I'd like to do the couch to 5k and then plan a race or fun run so I have some sort of goal to work towards.
This is what I started last year and it was amazingly easy to work up to the 5k. I will start back up with this after the babe to ease back into running. Suck a great program!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Last time around, I gained 32 pounds and only had 16 to lose after baby, so it wasn't all that tough and bf'ing did most of the work. I think after 6 weeks I had 5 lbs left to lose, but I just wasn't toned like I was before I got pregnant. To get my muscle tone back I did a lot of weightlifting. We have a pretty nice homegym so it was really convenient and DH bought me a stationary bike for cardio. I would normally run to get back into shape, but my boobs were too big and just hurt too bad no matter which sports bra I wore.

This time is going to be more challenging with 2 munchkins, but I plan on lifting weights, walking and riding the bike...

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Oh, you all lost the weight in a matter of months?

Mine came off very sloooooowly, over the course of a year or more (I don't really remember. I think I lost some, then plateaued, then lost more.) But despite my belief that being 145 was a temporary condition, the weight's stayed off (well, until I got pregnant, of course!) so I guess it worked.

We'll see what happens this time.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, you all lost the weight in a matter of months?
NO KIDDING SHARE YOUR SECRETS PLEASE MAMAS
I had it all and then some off for baby 1 by 9 months...
baby2 & 3 I cheated (I had jaw surgery both times at 2 months post partum and 4 months postpartum - wired shut kind...don't ask mama's are gluttons for punishment) so I lost 10+ pounds a month easily...

this time I envy people out running...
more than I want my body back I want that mobility - the feeling of wind through my hair again...

share mamas share!

8 might be enough
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 PM

I just keep up with my routine and hope I can bounce back quickly. Instead of 45 min-1 hour of cardio then lifting I walk about 30 min on the "Hill" setting then I do whatever weight machines I still fit in. The leg press is getting a little tight so I might have to jump over to the squat rack (stabilized bar not a free bar) or just use dumbells when I do squats. When the outdoor pool heats up I'm all over it.

I totally flaked in the first trimester because I was tired but I bounced back the second. I don't go when I'm exhausted and I don't beat myself up about it. My OB said I can lift "whatever feels comfortable" so I do (I love my super laid back OB). The man and I have already agreed that I'll go workout and he'll watch the babe after he gets off work.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Nurse, eat healthy, walks around town, chase after toddler -that's my plan. Last time I lost a good amount in the beginning and stopped around 8 weeks. I plateaued and slowly started losing again around 4 months. By 9 or 10 months, I was thinner than before I got pregnant. All I did was "my plan."
Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 AM

One of my biggest things is to try to keep working out until I have her. I'm still running, but I vary it between a run/walk for about 2 mi. I'm still doing squats and still do abs. I want to get right back into the swing of things as soon as I can after she's born. Nothing crazy, but just enough to keep me active and used to the movements until I can work back out again.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:53 AM

After the baby is born I am training for a marathon and possibly a triathalon. My mom wants me to run a 5K in November which I think is reasonable
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Banned

well, i don't know how much i've gained, but i can still fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans (yes, even buttoned) and i'm carrying all out front, so i assume there's not much, if any, 'extra' weight.

i go mostly by size and feel, but here are my plans about returning to normal after PG:

1. compression garment--often called belly binding as well, i also plan on supporting the hip joints. they will move back into place, at least within 1/4 inch of their original shape, for most folks if they have support while doing so. So, i have a garment that goes from mid-thigh to bust line that has varying levels of compression at different intervals to help out with this support of the skin, muscle and bones of the hips and such.

it's likely that i'll only need this for a couple of weeks, tops. some might require six.

2. yoga--well, i do yoga anyway. i do lots of it as it is, and so i'll probably go back to it pretty quickly. we'll see how my body feels. i have a friend who does a lot of post-partum work, and so we've talked about that process, particularly in getting the abdominals strong again--back in place--and supporting the hips as they move back into the original position.

i think that within a couple of weeks, i may be able to get back to m "regular" yoga which is rigorous/vigorous.

3. walking--i do a lot of this now, i hope to do baby wear and walk too! i'll probably do some trails near my husband's work, which are nice and shady and cool.

4. i haven't decided yet if i'm going to go back to weight training. i might just do the yoga anyway, but i might do weight training too. i really haven't decided on that one.

5. of course, breast feeding is a big part of the process as well.

and finally,

6. i have no idea how the sleep situation is going to be, but fatigue--not getting enough sleep--is a big factor in gaining weight or keeping weight on. so, i'm going to try figure out how to get enough rest.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:14 PM

I've been trying to stay active during this pregnancy, and eating better than I did with #1 (where it was a no-holds-barred all you can eat fest). I've done really well, I think, so far. I think at this point last time I'd gained 35 lbs, and I'm at +21 or 22 right now. I actually found it really hard to lose weight while BF'ing, and only lost the last 8-10 pounds when DD weaned at 19 mos. My Dr. said this was probs b/c I screwed up my metabolism by not eating enough for the better part of a decade; I wish I'd known the long term effects of teenage insecurity!
I think I'll begin with some gentle yoga/walking for the first few weeks, and work back to my old routine, hopefully by 4-6 weeks postpartum, depending on my recovery.
I plan on hitting the gym/running 5 days a week. I need to do cardio to lose weight, so it'll be a combination of 5 k runs or the elliptical (weather dependent)/strength training three days a week (so a 5 k run/elliptical, then weights, yoga/pilates, or other strength building exercise), and two longer runs of about 10 k. I found running was the best way to lose weight and it helped me to clear my mind and have some alone time where I could just think/process. I HATED running my whole life, and now really miss it...I love how strong and able I felt while in this routine, so healthy and together. I don't plan on changing anything food wise, as I eat really well.

Hey, zoebird, where can I find this? I've read about this practice elsewhere, and am intrigued...
1. compression garment--often called belly binding as well, i also plan on supporting the hip joints. they will move back into place, at least within 1/4 inch of their original shape, for most folks if they have support while doing so. So, i have a garment that goes from mid-thigh to bust line that has varying levels of compression at different intervals to help out with this support of the skin, muscle and bones of the hips and such.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Sigh, unfortunately the weight stays with me until I wean. I run 5x a week, but as long as I'm nursing I don't have the stamina to get further than about 3 miles. I eat a salad for lunch every day, no sugar/cookies/candy/juice/soda ever, and so long as I nurse weigh about 175 (I'm 5'10", so this is not overweight, but it feels icky on my frame). As soon as I wean, I lose 35 pounds even if all I eat is ice cream.

I'm at 175 right now, after starting at 145. SO SAD! So vain, and so sad.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so I am gathering I got to get back to running after the baby
Sounds like its the quickest route to post partum weight loss.

Quote:
1. compression garment
hmm I wonder if compression hose would also help with water retention...anyone know a good compression one?
I got a great korean full bra that helps with posture as my posture always suffers post partum...

8 might be enough
Old 06-07-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
So, the totality of my post-partum weight loss/ shape-regaining plan is to nurse this little guy like mad and continue raising free-range, tv-free, seem to be the best weight-loss plan I've ever tried.

I started out at 117 or so this time around, gained 15 lbs so far.
I lost it all SUPER fast after dd was born, i think she sucked the fat right out of me cause I went down pretty fast and she just went up and up in weight (she never dropped in weight that we could tell or measure the first week)! lol. I was actually 120 when I got pg with dd and went down to 110 after a year with her. I loved it!
So, that's my plan, Nurse, nurse, nurse... and eat a diet leaning towards raw with lots of fats/nuts, it worked so well with dd. Oh, and this time I'll be chasing and a 27 month old around and nursing her, should be fun!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 PM

after ds was born, i had lost all the baby weight (45 lbs) plus an extra 15 pounds, without trying, ds was just sucking it out of me...as nice as that was, a lot of people started worrying that i had become anorexic or something. even my fil, who had told me i was fat (at 5'3 125 lbs) when dh and i were still dating, started to ask me if i was eating enough food. so i actually found myself trying to gain 5 lbs so people would stop freaking about my weight.

i don't expect the weight to come off quite as easy this time (though that would be nice!) even though this time i don't think i will gain as much weight since i am eating healthier and a little more active. i'm going to try to get into running, yoga, and lifting weights...i'm also going to be trying to incorporate plenty of coconut oil as well, since it is supposed to help stimulate your thyroid (and thus metabolism) and i believe i'm already somewhat hypothyroid...

zoebird where did you purchase your compression garment? this is something i wanted to do as well, but all the ones that i have seen only go up over the lower half or so of the stomach from the pubic bone. but those were just ones particularly marketed for post partum...

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

after doing a lot of research on "levels" of compression garments such as "spanx" and on up to medical grade compression garments (which, if you have a prescription for them, insurance will cover--but they are ugly and unsightly and not designed to fit in/around clothes or be easy to use with clothes), and i found what i feel is a good "middle ground" which is heavier than the common compression garments that you might get at a department store, but not as strong/heavy as the medical grade compression garment.

So, i'm going with the Slim n' Lift Supreme.

i was able to find it for a great price at the Linen's 'n Things or Bed, Bath & Beyond--i can't remember which of those places it was. But, they had a variety of sizes and i could really feel the weight of the fabric.

the weight of the fabric and the locations of where the most compression would be pretty much matched what i was looking for in multiple medical grade garments, but it did have less weight overall and therefore less compression than medical grade.

i felt that the medical grade compression would probably be a bit much, but what i could find in department stores was simply not enough (things like spanx)--or really just not what i wanted.

so, i decided to go with this garment, which is a single garment, has easy openings for relieving oneself without becoming completely undressed, and sits under the regular bra for nursing and what not.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 PM

This is my first baby. I hope to gain no more than 30 pounds during this pregnancy haha, but have already gained 20. We'll see! I have such a small frame it's not a surprise. I was 125 now at 145.

My plan is easy. I have been super active before I got pregnant ( I feel like a couch potato now ) and I plan to continue that after wards.

Along with that, breastfeeding and the new P90X plan (google it). It's a super intense 90 day workout that'll leave me better looking after I got pregnant, than I was before. (Or so I hope :P)

I've been hitting the gym since I was 13, it's just uber fun.

SAHM Amber 24      DH Chris 26     DS Aiden  3  BFP for Christmas!!   25****30****35baby.gif***40!! 8/30 It's a stork-girl.gif

Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 PM

I am walking some right now, that's about as much as I can really do. And honestly, with the last several days being 95 degrees, that is not a top priority for me. ick. Before I got pregnant, I completely tore my ACL and had surgery - which crushed my training regimen/skating for quite a while and I got pretty out of shape, lost endurance, etc. Then, just as I was able to really start working out again, I got pregnant, and it is seriously hard to feel like you are getting any workout keeping the heart rate below 140. It doesn't take much for me to have my heart get to 140, since I am so out of shape. My typical cardio routine used to keep my HR at 170ish.

But, as soon as I get the go ahead from my OB for exercise postpartum, I will be getting our family Y membership and getting myself ready to skate again! I figure with that and breastfeeding, I should be back to my strong (for me!) self in no time! Its been a year since I have skated, so I think I will notice a difference right away. Especially since my roller derby league that was a baby when I got hurt is now really kicking ass and I have some major catching up to do!!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
So, i'm going with the Slim n' Lift Supreme.
omg, i have totally gotten sucked into their infomercials before!

here is the link for the Slim 'n Lift at Bed Bath & Beyond. $20, yay! thanks zoebird!

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM

I do alot of walking and some yoga now. I plan to pick up walking again around 4 weeks, very slowly and only at home. Then by week 6, I plan to walk 3 days a week, yoga twice a week and some weights twice a week as well. Of course watching what I eat and taking the baby with me on walks will be great for exercise and bonding. Considering how i plan to take 8-10 weeks of maternity leave, I want to get my weight down to 140 (I was 150 pre-pregnancy) and have only gained 8.5 pounds this pregnancy.

I think its doable.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned

i would say it's definitely do-able in those few weeks.

walking a baby wearing or strollering burns more calories than walking alone, according to some study in some magazine i read.

User Tag List