Charlie horse v. Labor pain, which hurts more? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have woken up in the night with a charlie horse several times in the past month and they just kill! It does go away very quickly if I stand up right away and press my foot down, but still it has me wincing and almost crying in pain! So anyway, I want to have an unmedicated labor but seeing how I handle this pain I'm not sure how realistic that is. I had a c-section with my first so I don't what it feels like. Can someone compare the two for me?
Thanks!
#2 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM

Maybe labor pain is like one big charlie horse in your abdomen?

Who knows? You'll do fine, don't even worry about it. If you are worried, work on some relaxation techniques.

Well, that's my attitude anyway.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#3 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 PM

Hands down: CHARLIE HORSE

Labor pains and even delivery was a breeze compared to any charlie horse I've ever had. I am able to "ragdoll" completely when having contractions, charlie horses, I cannot. They are just awful.

As I see it, contractions aren't what I'd call painful. They are purposeful and manageable. That's why we are designed to give birth. I do believe a lot of pain in childbirth comes from fear and the body expecting it to be very painful so the body reads it as pain.

Charlie horses are meant to be painful and the body is meant to process this as painful to tell us to drink more/get more potassium, etc. For me, it is impossible to relax with a charlie horse. Relaxing during contractions was never a problem.
#4 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 07:18 PM

I think the pain is too different to compare. Charlie horses come on very fast and very painful, then are gone just as quick. When you are having contracts, they don't start out painful at all, your body works up to it. And it is different because there is a purpose behind the pain as apelilae said. You actually want the contractions to come, as they will bring you closer and closer to meeting your baby!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#5 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, yes I was afraid labor contractions might feel like a 90 second charlie horse of the uterus! So last time I had a charlie horse I did try to "breath through it" and I lasted all of 2 seconds!
#6 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Labor pain is a different kind of pain to me than a Charlie Horse... Contrax don't just start off hurting like crazy- they build up and then they go back down. The whole wave analogy really is true. You will do great mama!
#7 of 19 Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 PM

Labor pain is so different. Other kinds of pain tell you when there is something wrong but labor isn't about something being wrong its about opening up.

For me there was nothing to do but go with it. It was like nothing I've ever left and it was very intense. Its different than the pain of my c-section and different from my gall bladder attack (which was much worse than labor btw).

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Not in your DDC, but I had the same thoughts as you when I was pregnant - "If I can barely handle a charlie horse, how can I handle labour?". Well, dissenting to other voices here, I say labout pain was WAY WAY 100,000 times worse than a charlie horse - and really, I have had some mind-bending charlie horses!! Labour -another planet. BUT, I managed....I was in a hospital, with an epidural a moment's request away...but I never did get an epidural. While the pain was much much much worse, it was *different* - frightening but not the same way as a charlie horse...I dunno, I can't explain it, but I did it!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#9 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM

Leg cramps are from a calcium/magnesium deficiency. I would up both of those and they should go away. If you add red clover blossoms to your tea, that will help too!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#10 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh! I am trying to lay off the calcium because I'm iron deficient and it inhibits iron absorption. Previously I was taking my prenatal (250mg calc) + 1200mg a day and I also drink a lot of milk. I cut back to just the prenatal and milk.
#11 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathellama View Post
Ugh! I am trying to lay off the calcium because I'm iron deficient and it inhibits iron absorption. Previously I was taking my prenatal (250mg calc) + 1200mg a day and I also drink a lot of milk. I cut back to just the prenatal and milk.
You can still have a lot of calcium, just not at the same time as the iron. Take them at different times in the day.

#12 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...thanks I will try that. I can't believe I'm iron deficient, I eat a decent amount of beef and now that I'm looking I notice I eat a lot of things that are iron-fortified like bread and cereal (of course I typically would drink milk when eating those!). So I was thinking it's mainly an absorption problem.
#13 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Vitamin C helps iron absorption. Eat some vit C each day as the body doesn't store it.
#14 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 PM

I second the Vitamin C. It will really help!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#15 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 PM

Completely different kinds of pain, lol...you may be dehydrated too and thats why you keep getting them. Drink lots of water!

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#16 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 PM

I cannot imagine at all that a charlie horse would be worse than labor!!

I mean, from what I've heard about labor pain...

Charlie horses are painful but I've never found them to be debilitating or anything.

#17 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 PM

I *do* find a charlie horse temporarily debilitating in taht when having one, I can do NOTHING but writhe in pain - I don't even think I can make a sound. BUT, I maintain that labour is worse. BUT I maintain to the OP that you CAN do it!! I have a very low pain tolerance usually...if I can do it anyone can! (eta: with alot of sound. I did make ALOT of noise in labour)

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#18 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 PM

I just wanted to add that with labor pain the pain builds up from minor to ALOT. BUT, your body is designed for that and releases a lot of great chemicals like endorphins to help you through it. You will be in a different realm with labor and it is completely different than charlie horse pain. Labor pain will stop you in your tracks and you will feel that it is too much near the end but that is the final stages and you can and will get through it just don't be scared of it. Embrace it and enjoy the ride!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#19 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 11:45 PM
SMR

When I was in labor with my dd - I explained the pain to some men I know as a charlie horse in your gut that doesn't go away that fast and keeps happening!! So, for me.. a pretty similar feeling!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page