anyone else NOT breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...due to circumstances beyond my control, I won't be able to breastfeed baby for more than a month after he/she arrives. I'll be starting chemotherapy September 1st, which precludes nursing.

I'm feeling guilty about this...I nursed DD until she was done at 14 months.

The good thing is that baby WILL get that first couple weeks of colostrum & "good stuff", but then its formula.

...my midwife looked into a milk bank, but, it just isn't going to work out...

so, that means I have to learn about bottles & formula.

I'm really trying to stay positive about this, and will be bottle feeding with all of the love that I nursed with!

does anyone have any advice pertaining to bottle feeding? types of bottles, how many bottles, type/amount of formula?

...I'm going to pump like crazy the first month to build up a bit of a supply in the freezer, but definitely do NOT look forward to giving up the convenience of nursing.

thanks!
charlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM

First of all, . I don't know if you'll have the energy to do so but you can make your own whole food baby formula.

Here's a link to the directions:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html

With DS, I supplemented and found that the formulas that contained Lipil or DHA really messed with his tummy those first few months. He was happiest on Carnation Good Start without the DHA additive but then as he got older, I switched back to a DHA formula and he was fine. As far as bottles go, I found the Dr. Brown's system to work the best in reducing colic/gas. They do have BPA free versions of this bottle but only in the narrow/standard size. My son preferred the narrow ones. This time around, I'm going to give the wide neck Gerber Gentle Flow or the Sassy Mam bottles a try since those are the ones that will fit the Isis Avent pump I have. Both brands are BPA free as well. Avent bottles are popular but DS didn't like them and they are not BPA free. You may just have to try several different brands of bottles and formula until you find a combo that works best for your little one. Good Luck mama!
#3 of 27 Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. It will be wonderful that you can give your baby a month of breastmilk plus some from a freezer stash.

My personal preference would be to use donor milk as much as possible. I'd seek out other women now and start working on a freezer stash and get set up for as much fresh milk after birth as possible.

My second choice after that would be to use raw goat's milk that's been fortified for infant use.

Its wonderful that you are working on this now and making such a big commitment to your child's health.

I hope the chemo works well for you with as little side effects as possible.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#4 of 27 Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 PM

: that your 1 year cancer free anniversary comes right after your LO's birthday.

May any symptoms you've suffered from cancer go quickly and may any side effects from chemo be incredibly mild.
#5 of 27 Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 PM

I'm sorry, that's so terrible to hear. I hope chemo goes well!

I wish I could have found a mom like you after my DD was stillborn. I wanted so badly to provide breastmilk to someone who needed it, but didn't have the resources (no computer at the time) to find a recipient.
I hope your supply is great and you can build up a decent stash.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#6 of 27 Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM

I have no experience with this, but would recommend renting a hospital grade pump. That will help you get quite a stash for the time that you can! You are doing the best for your baby! BTW- I had a friend that made the homemade formula for her daughter. She is a thriving almost 3 yr old now.
Good luck to you!
#7 of 27 Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 PM

I have never bottle-fed any of my babies, so I have no advice to give you there. Dr. Sears has a chapter on "bottle-feeding with love" in his Baby Book, I think.
Try to let go of the guilt, though. Since this really is one of those situations that is out of your control, it truly isn't your fault. Focus instead on what you ARE able to give your LO. Colostrum is incredibly valuable, and there are a lot of health benefits associated with breastfeeding even for a short time. I'm sure you know all this already.
You are doing the very best for your baby, so rest assured that YOU ROCK, Mama!
I hope you get better soon!

Mom of 4
#8 of 27 Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

rather than a milk bank, contact LLL and find out if there is a milk share in your area. moms donate their milk for free to needy moms!

pump and stash is also great.

i would make my own formula, personally (as per recipe above), but if you're more comfortable with commercial versions, i would talk to your doctor about it and just do as much research as possible!

Good luck with everything!
#9 of 27 Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Given that you must use bottles in some form or another, i've been referred to Dr. Brown's bottles. They are supposed to reduce colic and tummy upset. I have them b/c I must return to work and he'll need breast milk in a bottle from dad.

Geo, I wish you the best of luck, and second what the PP said. may your 1yr cancer free anniversary be just after your babe's 1st birthday!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#10 of 27 Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Sending lots of hugs to you I hope the chemo is effective and you have a wonderful recovery

I pumped & supplemented with DS1, but I didn't get more than a few ounces pumping. I would recommend seeing a LC or get in touch with LLL and attend mtgs, I found much support from them.

For formula we used Enfamil Lipil, it has the DHA & RHA in it. We never had issues with colic or anything, so it worked very well for us. For bottles we used the Playtex nurser system, the disposable liners seemed to really reduce air flow and Jacob rarely had gas.

Like PP"s have mentioned, I hear great things about Dr. Brown's, but have no experience personally with them.

Best of luck to you& if you have any more questions, I can try to answer them

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#11 of 27 Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM

saw this in the new threads section.
first i know what its like to lose a nursing relationship due to outside forces. i'm so sorry. greive all you need to. but please try and remember its not something that could have been avoided.

second, f you are willing to give your baby donor milk, please check out the milkshare link in my sig. and post here in the finding your tribe local section about your need for donor milk. you can still give your baby human milk thats made by nature for human babies.

third, BornFree makes bpa free bottles and sippees.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#12 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

dear ladies,

thank you for your support and ideas.

I'm going to try to go with the flow (terrible pun, sorry), and NOT WORRY about the situation, and not indulge in guilt...nothing I can do to prevent this, so I'm going to make it as enjoyable and loving as possible for all involved.

Thank you for the suggestion about Dr. Brown bottles...I purchased 2 of the tall, narrow ones.

...that's a good idea about contacting LLL...do they screen their potential suppliers?

I have located an organic formula that is locally available (the brand is "my organic baby")...do you think that this would be better than other brands? I would like to think that I would make my own formula, but I know that realistically that will not be happening with a toddler, a newborn and chemo....

thanks again for the caring advice.

charlene
#13 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 AM

sending lots of to you, and good luck in your quimo...

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#14 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo_girl View Post
dear ladies,

thank you for your support and ideas.

I'm going to try to go with the flow (terrible pun, sorry), and NOT WORRY about the situation, and not indulge in guilt...nothing I can do to prevent this, so I'm going to make it as enjoyable and loving as possible for all involved.

Thank you for the suggestion about Dr. Brown bottles...I purchased 2 of the tall, narrow ones.

...that's a good idea about contacting LLL...do they screen their potential suppliers?

I have located an organic formula that is locally available (the brand is "my organic baby")...do you think that this would be better than other brands? I would like to think that I would make my own formula, but I know that realistically that will not be happening with a toddler, a newborn and chemo....

thanks again for the caring advice.

charlene
Charlene
Not in your DDC club, but figured I would put in my .02

I finally seem to have enough information I need to nurse my baby some, but will also supplement, due to medication I am taking, provided I can find a ped who will work with me to test serum levels, blah blah blah

After over half a year of research and all, I decided that commercial formula was the best route for me in supplementing over making my own formula, at least for the first 6 months.

I am not familiar with the particular My Organic Baby brand, but from what their website says, it seems to be really good. I'm going with Baby's Only Organic with the separate DHA & ARA supplements so if the baby has issues with it, I don't have to add it in. Though I think DHA and ARA are good if she can tolerate it.

I have gone back and forth about nursing at all and have had to deal with all of the feelings around it. Blah, it sucks. I know it can be difficult, but you know you're doing what you need to do, and your health is the very most important thing you can give you LOs.
#15 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 AM

Hugs!!

Have you looked at MilkShare on yahoo groups? I used donor milk from a woman there for my dd for a few months, it was wonderful. She provided proof of being free from STDs, no drugs, etc. All the women are great about providing info-they'll tell you what they eat, if they take ANYTHING (including tylenol, lol), its really awsome. They're just women with too much milk who want to give it to someone who can use it...I myself donated there with my previous dd.

One of my midwives also adopted a baby and used milk from clients that offered it (including me, again, lol) for over a year. He NEVER had formula. If you have a midwife, you might want to ask if she can say something or post something in the office. Its amazing how many women were happy to donate milk for her little guy!

If you do go the formula route, I'd definately try an organic formula first. If that doesnt work out, maybe try Good Start-it was the only thing that my dd didnt seem to have trouble with (tummy-wise).

I hate HATE Dr. Browns bottles (I know, I'm against the norm here, hehe) because my kids ended up more gassy than when I used Playtex drop ins. Plus it was so much more annoying to clean. I'd get a few different types, as everyone seems to have their own opinion on bottles (for instance, my kids all hated Avent too and thats supposed to be the boob feeding bottle) and every baby is different in what they like as well.

The only other thing I can say is simply-hold baby when you feed her, give her love and kisses and she'll love you right back. It can still be a wonderful time-and who knows, maybe she'll sleep better! (lol I had marathon nursers, ALL NIGHT LONG!) Boobs still make great pillows while bottlefeeding

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#16 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 AM

good luck, Charlene. Like you said just pump (and nurse) like crazy while you can. Your baby will be getting lots of good stuff during that initial time. I also recommend the Dr. Brown's. They even have them in glass now.

The most important thing is that you are doing something important not just to your health, but for your family. I hope your chemo goes well.
#17 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again!

could someone give some information on DHA/RHA/AHA?

will it say right on the label whether or not the formula contains this? is it something I should consider adding?

gosh, breastfeeding is so much easier (once you get the hang of it!)

Ohh, and another question - what is the best way to store any breastmilk I'm able to express those first couple of weeks? what sort of containers and portions are the most useful?

thank you all,
charlene
#18 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 AM

LLL is a support group for women who are thinking of breastfeeding, or women who are breastfeeding. LLL is made up of mothers with personal experience in nursing who volunteer their time to help other mothers with nursing. They can't actually supply you with donor milk. It would be unethical for them to do so.
They can perhaps give you the contact information for a milk bank, or other resources, depending on where you live.
Hope that helps.

Mom of 4
#19 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM

I would store them in the bags and only a oz or 2 per bag that way you will have less left over if any. You can always thaw out more if needed but any not thawed out will have to be thrown out

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#20 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugsmom View Post
LLL is made up of mothers with personal experience in nursing who volunteer their time to help other mothers with nursing. They can't actually supply you with donor milk. It would be unethical for them to do so.
I fail to see how it would be unethical for a LLL mom to donate her milk to you. I say, it can't hurt to go to a meeting and see if anyone has had a similar experience or can help. I would consider giving the child donated breast milk to be, in essence, breast feeding. Therefore, LLL is a support group for YOU too.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#21 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
I fail to see how it would be unethical for a LLL mom to donate her milk to you. I say, it can't hurt to go to a meeting and see if anyone has had a similar experience or can help. I would consider giving the child donated breast milk to be, in essence, breast feeding. Therefore, LLL is a support group for YOU too.
LLLi does not support milk sharing as a CYA corporate measure, so leaders aren't going to allow discussion of such during the meeting. However, bringing it up after the meeting--particularly by first emailing the leaders of the group and explaining and asking for non-LLL time after the meeting--would be just fine from what I understand. It just can't be done in a way that implies any sort of responsibility on the part of LLLi.
#22 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 02:44 AM

How about setting up a mini-fridge and fire-safe bottle warmer thingy in your bedroom?
#23 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Charlene, most of the formula cans will say right on the front label if DHA etc is included. As far as storage, I actually kept some pumped milk in the fridge in a 4 ounce glass bottle as I would mix the formula with the expressed milk instead of distilled water. I used the glass bottles as well for freezer storage, the plastic bags seemed to spill for me and I would get so upset that I would pump just to lose some of it Then I would gradually thaw in the little pan before a feeding. I always got Evenflo brand, it didn't matter too much to me what brand as long as I could sterilize them.

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#24 of 27 Old 06-18-2008, 11:36 PM

I believe glass is better for keeping the nutrients as well, although I could be wrong (and I use plastic baggy things from Lansinoh most of the time-although I will have some long term storage of milk with this one so I think I'll get glass for that).

Also, if baby has any ANY issues with formula, you can get a prescription and try to get your insurance to cover donor milk from a bank. Personally I dont like going that route since they do all this stuff to it and it looses some of the good stuff, but if using a private donor made you too nervous you might want to try that. My surro daughter had milk from a bank for 3 months.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#25 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 AM

They make these ice cube tray things with covers that you can pour expressed milk into, then freeze. Then you pop the cubes out and put them in a freezer bag. They are the perfect 1 oz size, so you can thaw only what you need without wasting, and it saves space. Just label the bag with the date.

My sister used Dr. Brown's bottles, she tried the Playtex drop ins first and they gave my nephew awful gas.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#26 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Just a few thoughts. I've never bottle fed but I read a lot.

Baby Bargains (a famous book) has a blog in which they are currently discussing and keeping readers updated on the issue of BPA's in bottles. They are banned in Canada now and Babies R' Us and Walmart are committed to banning them soon, but haven't yet. But most plastic bottles still have them. Be aware and careful about this. Dr. Browns' still have BPA's in their plastic, though they are committed to bringing out a glass line soon. Avent has BPA's. But there's a list out there of bottles that don't -- I'd look for that list. I think its by a blog called z recommends or something similar.

Also added DHA's in formula are very controversial right now. I'd google it and see if you can find some information on it. First of all, they are from an odd source, I don't remember what, but not a naturally occurring source. Secondly, they don't appear to be usable or absorbable by the body in the form their in. Third, as a fat, they can go rancid in formula. And fourth I think there have been some negative events associated with them. Google around. The DHA's in formula are not like flaxseed oil, they are artificially manufactured and very odd.

Also remember that if you give liquid "premixed" formula, your baby may not be willing to transition to powdered. That could be fine with you, but just keep it in mind. The texture and taste are very different and the liquid formulas are much more expensive.

If you go with conventional formula, once you and your ped have decided on a good choice, there are "formula clubs" or buying clubs in which you can get it at a discount in bulk. Stick with one if possible because switching can be hard on the baby's digestion and remember to support the baby's digestion in other ways. Formula increases constipation and gassiness. A lot of sources recommend giving the baby probiotics in order to help the digestion cope with formula. There's a lot of articles online about how the administration of probiotics (acidopholis and other healthy bacteria) dramatically reduces the classic symptoms of "colic" -- google that too.

Good luck. Arm yourself with info and embrace your mothering. I hope for you deeply that the chemo is quick and effective and you have all the support in the world to care for yourself and your baby.
#27 of 27 Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 PM

The pp reminded me!

The bottles I have bought are Born Free. They are BPA free and also have a vent system. Kinda pricey, though.

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/11/z-...ttles-and.html
That's a great up to date list of BPA free bottles and sippys and such.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page