Baby isn't Head down - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I am kind of nervous now. I went in for my 33 week apt today and the baby is STILL transverse. The midwife isn't that worried, but with my last pregnancy the baby was head down way before this. Is anyone elses baby not head down yet? What happens if she doesn't turn? When should I really start freaking out?!
#2 of 44 Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM

I don't have a lot of time, but try not to stress (impossible I know!)
E was transverse til 35 or 36 weeks-she flipped (FINALLY! THANKFULLY!) around then, just before the c-sec/transfer of care talk started with my MW.
I remember googling some alternative techniques (when I started looking into external versions, it didn't look very promising, from what I remember), and found some advice relating to lying in certain positions, having DH talk low to encourage him/her to move down, swimming, etc. I tried most of them-and felt quite silly-but she did turn, eventually...
I hope the same for you!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#3 of 44 Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM

#4 of 44 Old 06-17-2008, 02:02 PM

give it a few more weeks and yes, spinning babies....

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 44 Old 06-17-2008, 05:50 PM

I'm 32ish weeks and I just had an appointment. Baby was not definitively head down, my guess is that she's kind of diagonal because I usually feel something very hard on my left hip bone.

Midwife didn't seem worried, and there's no sense in worrying about things you can't control.

Right now, I'm just going to watch my posture and do some walking. Baby will settle in when she's comfortable.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#6 of 44 Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 PM

I think baby still has a lot of room to move around, I saw my whole belly shift from one side to the other like three times. Boy, that was a crazy feeling!!

I wish I could tell the difference between a butt and a head. :

#7 of 44 Old 06-19-2008, 08:02 PM

My mw said not to worry until 36 weeks. At my last appointment baby was head down, but I'm pretty sure he flipped the other day. So...I'm hoping he's still mobile enough to do it again. I understand acupunture and chiropratics can turn the baby...as well as a flashlight, ice, etc. There are a lot of ways to get that baby to turn. I have also been talking to him and asking him to help me out. That we're in this birth together and we need to work together. I'm not sure how much it really helps...but it makes me feel a bit better. Good luck!
#8 of 44 Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
I think baby still has a lot of room to move around, I saw my whole belly shift from one side to the other like three times. Boy, that was a crazy feeling!!

I wish I could tell the difference between a butt and a head. :

Haha I second that, I wish I could tell.

SAHM Amber 24      DH Chris 26     DS Aiden  3  BFP for Christmas!!   25****30****35baby.gif***40!! 8/30 It's a stork-girl.gif

#9 of 44 Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 PM

yeah really how do you tell..bum from head?
being that this is only my 4rth child...
I think I'd know

I still know this one is breech.....

8 might be enough
#10 of 44 Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM

Boo!
E was transverse til 35 weeks, then flipped, this one is breech (I'm 32.5 weeks right now). My MW said not to worry (ha ha!) and I'm trying to reassure myself that last time baby DID flip, and that 97% of babes do by 36 weeks, and doing pelvic tilts to move baby...and having chats with babe
She said that if it was still not head down at 36 weeks, that she'd order an u/s, and we'd have to talk about "options". Something tells me I might not like these "options".

#11 of 44 Old 06-20-2008, 04:01 PM

I posted the same thing yesterday. He's still completely breech (frank breech). My MW said not to worry until my next appointment at 35wks. If he hasn't flipped by then, then we need to start working on alternative methods. Perhaps accupunture or something.

She did say that deliver breech babies (ouch!) but try to avoid it at all costs.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#12 of 44 Old 06-20-2008, 04:16 PM

My last was transverse until he went breach at 33 weeks, then FINALLY went head down at 34 weeks - then was born 2 days later! I was nervous since external version wasn't an option for us and I was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks on and off before he was born.

I'm at almost 30 weeks now and this one is still all over the place. I try not to think about it too much . . . yesterday my m/w def. felt a butt at my upper right, but then today I'm fairly certain I felt her head there : It was way harder than her butt and it hurt to have her head up there. So again, just trying not to worry or think about it too much at this point . . .
#13 of 44 Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
My MW said the butt will move after you press on it, but the head will not. An easy way to remember is that if someone were touching your butt, you'd probably move too.

mom to DD july 2008
another on the way march 2010
#14 of 44 Old 06-23-2008, 01:44 PM

spinning babies has a great baby belly mapping imagery stuff not just for breech mamas...

I think this baby is one foot under, one foot to the side..(kicks come cervix or bone and the other foot out to the side) I am finding this breech position really not comfortable (although great for no pressure on my bladder but seriously last night it felt like he was using my pelvis as a hammock...

8 might be enough
#15 of 44 Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 PM

I'm at 33 weeks and he's definitely not head down. I'm not worried, he's still got time.
#16 of 44 Old 06-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
My MW said that the feet usually lay a harder blow than the hands and move in larger strokes.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#17 of 44 Old 06-23-2008, 07:37 PM

At my appointment 2 weeks ago (32 weeks along) my midwife said it was time to start thinking about heads down, but not to worry about it. She suggested that I talk to the babe about positioning. Now I'm definitely not hippy or new age, but I thought "hey, at least I can try it." Well, I had a couple of mental conversations with the baby and lo and behold less than a day later he flipped. Coincidence? maybe. Maybe not.

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#18 of 44 Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19spitfire View Post
At my appointment 2 weeks ago (32 weeks along) my midwife said it was time to start thinking about heads down, but not to worry about it. She suggested that I talk to the babe about positioning. Now I'm definitely not hippy or new age, but I thought "hey, at least I can try it." Well, I had a couple of mental conversations with the baby and lo and behold less than a day later he flipped. Coincidence? maybe. Maybe not.
I have DH talk to the baby directly to the bottom of my belly. He'll say stuff like "you need to have your head down here so mommy can give birth to you." He also wispers to the baby and tells her secrets which I am not allowed to hear.

I can't bring myself to talk to the baby, though, because I feel like I'm talking to myself and it weirds me out.

#19 of 44 Old 06-24-2008, 12:38 AM

I had my 32 week appt and the baby was not head down. In fact during the appt you could see baby flounder rotating, the midwife was quite amused. She said she wasn't going to worry about it until I was at least 36 weeks.

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#20 of 44 Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 AM

Baby is still flipping around like crazy. He/she has pretty regular hiccups, and I feel them all over the place. I'm going to continue with our "chats" and hope the babby listens, and goes head down. I don't remember E (my first) moving around this much, this late though?!

#21 of 44 Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks All for your words and wisdom! I am trying not to worry. I don't think she is head down yet (34 weeks) but I can't be sure. She has had the hiccups a lot lately and they seem to be all over the place but who knows. Last appointment the midwife offered me an ultrasound (she has a room just one door down) but I turned it down thinking that at this point it isn't essential to know...my question is, when IS it essential to know. I mean, do they schedule you for a C-section at 36 weeks or what? She also mentioned some accupressure and chiropractic things but there is no way we can afford that at this point. Do you think finding our the position of the baby is ultrasound worthy?
#22 of 44 Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM

I am also too head up...from my midwife visit today.
Here they schedual a version at 36 weeks and if all fails (but I hear the baby will turn on its own or with a version, chiro, acupuncture 2 out of 3 times)

You have to be prepared at the version for an emergency section just in case the baby's heart rate drops (websites say 1% but who knows) That is actually more problematic for me - think about it...in hospital, ob right there you know if its a rainy day and not good for golfing (kidding I think) they might take any excuse to go for the section as another webste said 50% of babies experience some change in heart rate...

if that doesn't work I hear they schedual a section for 38 weeks I am guessing so you don't go into labour? I've heard of others that will wait until you go into labour - for me my last birth was under an hour from 0cm dilated to done...so I don't think that will be an option for me.

There are ob's and midwifes who will do breech births - my midwife says for frank breeches...mine is one foot under the bum one foot up by the head...a gymnast

Mine hasn't moved just rotates in last 2 weeks plus he's dropping into my pelvis...I'll keep doing the natural stuff but a version...not so sure...I don't have faith this one will turn on his own...

8 might be enough
#23 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well...baby is still breech. I have been doing all the exercises and everything...I am getting depressed.
There is a doctor here who will do breech births but now I am all scared from what I've heard about breech births. Are they really safe? We are going to try a VERsion next week...has anyone ever had one of those? What was it like? What about a breech birth?
#24 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS View Post
Well...baby is still breech. I have been doing all the exercises and everything...I am getting depressed.
There is a doctor here who will do breech births but now I am all scared from what I've heard about breech births. Are they really safe? We are going to try a VERsion next week...has anyone ever had one of those? What was it like? What about a breech birth?
I was very concerned about this at one point and I asked my midwife what a version would be like.

She said that she would send me to the perinatologist and it would be done in an operating room. They give you an epidural (in case they need to do a c-section) and some medication to relax the uterus, then they use their hands to forcefully move the baby. They check the baby's position with an ultrasound machine.

They need you to be ready for a c-section in case the placenta abrupts or the baby becomes distressed (like if the cord becomes compressed somehow). I think the incidence of this is very low but they like to be over-prepared.

She also described for me how she did a version on herself in a birthing tub. She had another MW there with her to monitor the baby.

I think that even though she can do versions she prefers to have the doctors do it in an operating room. I'm sure if I asked I could consent for her to do the version. It all depends on your care provider, I guess.

#25 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 03:18 PM

I know a few women who have had breech births unassisted at home with no problems at all, and I know a woman who a couple months ago had a breech babe in the hospital with no problems at all either (her doctor was versed in delivering breech babies vaginally).

What type of breech is your babe, do you know? The only one that is considered a bit more "risky" is a footling breech, where the feet present first, but even then, I have seen vaginal footling breech births. The "best" breech for vaginal delivery would be a frank breech (butt first, legs up by head).
#26 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM

I'd suggest getting down on all fours for a while each day. I've been doing it religiously because its great for my back and also have tried leaning over the birth ball and rocking. I think maybe that's what I finally got my baby to turn last week and I'm 36 weeks now. I'd say give it a shot until at least 37 and see what happens. Maybe the babe is just taking their sweet time.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#27 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 PM

my midwife says today oblique complex lie but head more or less down....

8 might be enough
#28 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 PM

I'd not worry until 36 or so weeks. I'd start the exercises on spinningbabies.com right now though

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#29 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 PM

what about swimming?!?!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#30 of 44 Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 PM

hair is still wet from pool

8 might be enough

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page