covering up the belly - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
Yeah, I just wear my old bikini. Occasionally people stare, but you know what? My pregnant belly is still smaller than some of those big old men with beer guts in speedos!

I vote wearing whatever makes you feel comfortable. I mean, come on, it's just a body...

I second that!!

I just used one of my pregnancy tank tops (black) and wore a 5 dollar pair of shorts from walmart :P

SAHM Amber 24      DH Chris 26     DS Aiden  3  BFP for Christmas!!   25****30****35baby.gif***40!! 8/30 It's a stork-girl.gif

#32 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 01:52 AM

I only wear bikinis. I did buy a new one because my breasts are huge and there's no way they'd fit in my other tops.

I love having the sun on my belly and it needs to be a little less white than it is. If someone doesn't like it...well, I'm not going to lose any sleep. I look great and I'm not worried about it a bit.
#33 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think it's a generational thing.
It's just plain old sad that some women (especially when it's loved women in our lives) feel compelled to share their thoughts and views on the offensiveness of a naked belly. I thought this was the generation of women that fought tooth and nail to liberate and celebrate our sexual freedoms, rights to vote and be represented, and express ourselves. I can't honestly think of a more natural and beautiful expression of womanhood than letting the belly see the sun and elements. To me, it feels like I'm letting my growing baby get one step closer to the world outside my womb.

We're finally starting to get warm weather here in the Pacific Northwest, and I will certainly be wearing my bikini in solidarity with all the other mothers who wish to work it, flaunt it, and love their bodies.
#34 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scd1978 View Post
Well then I really throw people for a loop--they see me and my (female) partner and REALLY get wondering...well...hm..I suppose they have sex but how did SHE get pregnant?!?! Then people get all nosey!

*gasp* That's extra dirty. Man, would I love to see the confused look on people's faces.
#35 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Whomever made that comment to you needs to SHUT IT. You should wear whatever you want to the beach. I don't know why anyone else would care if you show your belly or not. That is so strange and frustrating.
#36 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star792 View Post
When I went to the pool yesterday I tried to remember all the positive posts and feel like not everyone was staring at my huge belly. it helped.
I asked my mom why it bothers her and she said it was the belly button. Anyway, thanks for all the reponses.
: Next time you're together, put a Band Aid over it, in a crazy color. Tell her that you're just trying to make her feel comfortable. And bat your eyelashes.
#37 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 12:18 PM

With that, I will take my very controversial protruding belly to the pool.

The last time I did notice a could of witchy girls that were looking at my belly. Hey! I look better than both of them. And I'm doing something great. They can suck my butt if they don't like it.

And BTW, MEN find sexy, pg women very hot!
#38 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Our bodies are all unique and lovely. I can't believe a stranger would think it was Okay to comment on someone else's body. I would be mortified because they didn't see how rude they were.
Oh, just wait until you breastfeed! I am a bit of a breastfeeding exhibitionist. I figure it's food and the weird ideas that people propagate in the own minds are not going to stop my baby from eating when it's hungry. My poor father couldn't look at me and talk for about a year after our first was born, but for the second I guess he got over it and he actually would talk to me and look at me when the babe was nursing.
Sometimes, we Americans, are really prudish!

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#39 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scd1978 View Post
Well then I really throw people for a loop--they see me and my (female) partner and REALLY get wondering...well...hm..I suppose they have sex but how did SHE get pregnant?!?! Then people get all nosey!
Yup, me too! People make a lot of assumptions, and sometimes I'm willing to do the work of explaining ("this is how a sperm bank works...we have a donor, not a dad..."), but other times, I just want to live my life and not deal with being a spokesperson for queer America.

I had a painful exchange with the luggage guy at the airport the other day, who kept asking, "Are you two sisters?" and "But where's the dad?"

After I said about a million times, "There is no dad," he actually said, "Well, there has to be a dad. Is he dead?"

(Is he dead??? Who asks that?!?)

Finally, DP looked at him and said, "We're both raising the baby, okay? There's no one else."

Mr. Luggage looked very awkward, and we all just sat there until our bags showed up.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#40 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yup, me too! People make a lot of assumptions, and sometimes I'm willing to do the work of explaining ("this is how a sperm bank works...we have a donor, not a dad..."), but other times, I just want to live my life and not deal with being a spokesperson for queer America.

I had a painful exchange with the luggage guy at the airport the other day, who kept asking, "Are you two sisters?" and "But where's the dad?"

After I said about a million times, "There is no dad," he actually said, "Well, there has to be a dad. Is he dead?"

(Is he dead??? Who asks that?!?)

Finally, DP looked at him and said, "We're both raising the baby, okay? There's no one else."

Mr. Luggage looked very awkward, and we all just sat there until our bags showed up.
That's when the smartass in me would have to take over and explain in great detail the entire process of sperm banks ---- and just for good measure include menstruation and ovulation details, since he is so curious.
#41 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post
That's when the smartass in me would have to take over and explain in great detail the entire process of sperm banks ---- and just for good measure include menstruation and ovulation details, since he is so curious.
I know, the problem was, he was the key to our lost luggage!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#42 of 44 Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

serious, queer couples NEVER have sex. they have babies via biotechnology, which means they NEVER have sex.

NEVER.

j/k of course.
#43 of 44 Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 AM

I wouldn't even consider covering my belly for someone else's comfort level. I think the pregnant woman's body is the most beautiful thing ever. Flaunt it while you got it, girl!
#44 of 44 Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
That's when I would have kindly reminded this ever-so-inquisitive man that he is a baggage handler, not a journalist, geneticist, or geneologist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page