I may end up being the first....(update in post 20) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 07-04-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sigh. I am 36 weeks. I REALLY want this one to bake longer. I don't want to have feeding problems, breathing problems, temp regulation problems or worse that may be characteristic of a 36 weeker; don't want to leave my 2 yo to go stay in hospital and then I don't want to have to leave this nb in the NICU. I don't want to be induced, or have a c-section once induction fails to work. But, also I certainly dn't want to risk this lo's well being or life. Of course most of all I want this babe to be basically ok, however we get there!

I have really, really low amounts of amniotic fluid, apparently. 3rd percentile and they want to induce labor once you are below the 5th, I think. Have been drinking water etc like crazy and hoping somehow that things will be improved by tomorrow, but I am, of course super worried and disappointed. With dd#1, I had a nice birth--2 days after due date, no meds, no interventions, only slight tearing. Now it is looking like early induction and I am guessing the road to c-section from there, b/c my body is nowhere near ready for natural labor. But of course that is better than some of the dire alternatives with the worst dangers of low AFI (oligohydramnios)-- eg cord compression leading to fetal death, too little oxygen to baby, etc. Trying not to worry *too* much, what good does that do? Being compulsive, I have spent the last day and a half researching, so i do know, I think, the questions to ask before being led along to induction and possibly c-section, and the inaccuracies of measuring AFI by ultrasound and the questions about whether low AFI by itself is a good reason for early induction. Tomorrow they will repeart nonstress tests, a BPP; I am trying to focus on just birthing a healthy babe, whenever, however that might be now.

Sorry to ramble, this is all a surprise to me. Not sure when I'll be able or feel able to check back in--but BEST to all my ddc August mamas!!! Enjoy the rest of your pgs! Wishing healthy babes to all.

I am going over to coops to check in on the TIG yarn coop to distract myself, lol! But wishing the best to all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 07-04-2008, 08:58 PM

I'm facing an induction due to pre-e next week if my cervix is favorable. I'll almost be 37 weeks. I am also nervous and worried about the baby ending up in NICU. If she doesn't come next week, it will definitely be the week after because its too risky to let me go on being pregnant. I may end up with a c-section as well. I'm doing EPO vaginally - 3 capsules at night - to help ripen my cervix. GL!!!
#3 of 29 Old 07-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Sigh. I am 36 weeks. I REALLY want this one to bake longer. I don't want to have feeding problems, breathing problems, temp regulation problems or worse that may be characteristic of a 36 weeker

Just want you to know that my 33.5-weekers and I had a great 25-month nursing relationship after only small difficulties in the beginning. They were in the NICU for a little while, just being monitored, but never had breathing problems or major temp regulation problems. They were a little small, a little behind, for a while, but today they're thriving beyond anything we could have imagined.

I know there's scary information out there. I'll be thinking about you and your little one.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#4 of 29 Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Maybe look up some kangaroo care stuff to take to the hospital so that you can hand print outs to anyone who gives you trouble.

The kangaroo care research is pretty amazing in terms of health of a preemie.
#5 of 29 Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 PM

I hope you get some better results tomorrow.

I'm not that family with low fluid to know how accurate the testing is nor what can be done about it.

Have you checked in the Birth Professionals forum and asked there?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#6 of 29 Old 07-04-2008, 11:19 PM

I really don't have any advice to offer, just hugs and support. I will let you know that I had a 36-weeker via c-section, and he was perfectly healthy - no breathing problems, 7 1/2 lbs, and a great nurser. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but I hope it gives you hope to know that you may have a positive outcome. We're all thinking of you!
#7 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 AM

Just thinking of you, and wishing you luck. I hope that things work out well; you'll be in my thoughts.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#8 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 12:46 AM

Hugs to you.
Wondering about all of the 'what ifs' is stressful. It is hard to surrender to that which is out of your control - I feel for you. Thast being said, 36 weeks isn't too early (although, I know it isn't ideal).
I wish you a wonderful birth, however it unfolds. Hang in there and keep us posted if you can.
#9 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 01:45 AM

*hugs* I'm sure everything will be ok regardless of how it works out. You just stay positive. You're in my thoughts.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#10 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 02:17 AM

There is a saying in the medical community, "Never trust a 35 weeker" This is because 35 weeks is really the cusp of the end of the breathing problems, etc. With all the research I have been doing and all of the talking I have been doing with nurses, doctors etc I have learned that If you can get that little bug to 36 weeks, although they will be a little early they should not have major problems. There are many, many babies born out there at 36 weeks who do just fine.
In fact I have to go have my amnio to check for lung maturity in the middle of my 36th week because they are hoping to be able to deliver mine soon there after and my diabetes can slow the lung growth down a bit.
Now on the keep 'em in flip side, Have you considered getting amniotic fluid supplements? I know they are capable of doing that. I also know that it can be a fight because they like to deliver at 36 weeks when they get that far.

Anyway, I'm thinking of you.
Shawna
#11 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 AM

I had a 36 weeker, we were discharged the next day.
He was 7lbs 3oz.
He did get RSV and have more broch. infections in the first two years, more than my other two but I am an athsmatic and he did suffer oxygen loss at birth (cord prolapse, cord around neck) so no idea if that was the cause KWIM.

8 might be enough
#12 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 AM

hoping for the best for you guys!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#13 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 AM

I had pre-e with both of my sons, and they were both born healthy at 37 weeks. Good luck!!

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#14 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 AM

Keeping you & your babe in my thoughts and prayers

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#15 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 11:19 AM

My 34 weeker had no problems breathing and was nursing like a champ by the end of his first week. He did spend a week in NICU due to low blood sugar a few hours after birth. They thought he might have had an infection, but never found anything I was able to get the steroid injections to help with lung dev. since I had some bleeding and pre-term ctx for 2 weeks before. Are the shots an option for you at all? I hope all goes well today when they check again!
#16 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 11:45 AM

I have too much fluid, maybe I can fedex you some?

I'm also looking at early induction, for similar scary reasons. 36 weeks isn't that bad. I've heard of 40+ weekers have problems, there is no 100% baby will be OK no matter when they come, KWIM?

One thing I have been told is the AFI isn't always accurate, what is often used as well is deepest pool measurements, cause if baby is crunched to one side the AFI will be done with 2 big measurements and 2 low ones, then evened out, KWIM?

I'd ask about deepest pool as well tomorrow.
#17 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Something I heard about estimating fluid levels... it's like putting a person in a glass bathtub and looking up from underneath the bathtub and trying to figure out how much water is in there. You can sort of figure out how much water is underneath them, but you have no way of knowing how much is above them, so how can you get a reliable number?
#18 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 12:38 PM

best of luck to you, moonstruck.
#19 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocraft View Post
Now on the keep 'em in flip side, Have you considered getting amniotic fluid supplements? I know they are capable of doing that.
Y'know, I'd wondered about that. Since they can take amniotic fluid out to do testing, I figured it would be possible.

Either way, : for a fully cooked baby!

And I saw a video at an LLL meeting once about babies managing latch just fine after getting bottles and such in the NICU for more than a month.
#20 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Phew! A reprieve.... the nonstress test today was great, lo was moving a lot and looking good in utero, so b/c there was at least *some* fluid left, he said at least 2 cm pockets, the ob let me go home for another 2 days. Hoping for the same on Monday, so at least I can get to 37 weeks end of next week! I am definitely going to insist they remeasure fluid levels before doing anything. also, now I will look into trying natural induction somehow, b/c even the relatively laid back ob I saw today who agreed babe was better in utero for now said to me that there was no one, no how who would be letting me go past 38 weeks. And at last check, cervix was showing NO signs of natural labor anytime soon. So, off to a separate post! Thanks for all the well wishes mamas. I am just so relieved that babe gets to cook at least a little bit more.
#21 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 03:29 PM

: Good to hear!!
#22 of 29 Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM

ran across a post in the HB forum that had some info

study

thread in BP forum

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#23 of 29 Old 07-06-2008, 02:11 AM

I am so relieved for you!!!! :

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#24 of 29 Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Hugs Mama! That is good news to hear about going to 37 weeks! I hope you get to go beyond that!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#25 of 29 Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

About to go in for another NST (nonstress test-- they look at baby's heartrate in response to movement); wish me luck.

BTW-- the ob I saw on Saturday who agreed baby was better in utero for now, was not my 'regular' ob. Her office called this morning, surprised that I hadn't already had the baby, and said that they'd already cancelled all the rest of my prenatal appts. :

I guess that's how much chance I had with her of convincing her not to induce at 36 weeks just b/c of a low AFI measurement, if NSTs and BPP were looking good still. Geez.

I am trying to keep the baby happy in utero to cook more, I would LOVE to have a natural labor, but looks remote, and of course I don't want to risk cord compression and a horrible outcome by trying to push them to let LO go longer.

GEEZ, why does it all have to be so complicated/difficult??

With dd #1, I was at the beach at this point in my pg, worried only about cloth diapers, lol!!

Update later this afternoon, after NST

#26 of 29 Old 07-07-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

So the NST today went great-- good movement and heart rate in reaction to movement. And amniotic fluid levels have definitely improved over the levels that had everyone so worried last week, but are still borderline. Hmm. I have to go in again on Wednesday, I seem to keep being able to buy 2 more days at a time.

Now I have a new problem, though--after WEEKS of head down, this baby has flipped and is now breech!!! AARGH. I am 37 weeks on Thursday.

day by day...
#27 of 29 Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM

That is great news! And he's a feisty little guy, flipping around now.
#28 of 29 Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Wow! What a whirlwind! I'm glad things are looking up. I know some of those little beans flip and flip right up to the end...and some pick one direction and stay there. I bet you can get it to flip again. Good luck!
#29 of 29 Old 07-07-2008, 09:09 PM

oh my! lol!!! your babe is already a stubborn one is not even born yet I am sure he still have enough space to flip back down... keeping fingers crossed for ya!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page