Lost my mucous plug, how much longer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 36 weeks and just lost my mucous plug. BTDT moms, how long after losing yours did you go into labor? Some books say a few days, but I know that it can take longer. At my appt. today my mw said I was 3-4cm dilated. Just wondering when to tell DH to start setting up the pool.

''''

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 AM

When I had my firstm my plug came out more than a week before I had a c-section. I still wasn't in labor yet but they took her because I was starting to dilate.

When I had my second my plug came out in chunks well after labor was obvious and imminent.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM

I lost mine for nearly two weeks before my son was born. I'd lose some then it would regenerate. I was also 4 cm dilated for a month. i'm sorry to be such a downer. I really hope that doesn't happen to you. It's maddening!

I'd start the tub when you are having regular contractions for a good while, whatever that means for you and your body.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 AM

I started losing mine and went into labor 2 hrs later. I'd say, if you don't already, have the pool inflated now but wait until you start contracting to fill it up. Sounds like it *might* be a quicker labor than what the normal first time mom has...since you're already 3-4 cm.

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Over a month with my first child..
This fourth one I think it was a week or two ago, I am engaged, dilated only 2cm though last check a week and a half ago...

3-4 is quite dilated for first baby I'd be ready but a first labour you should have plenty of time to set up the pool....

8 might be enough
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM

You know, I'm on my fourth baby and I've never seen my mucus plug. I must have lost it after labor started and I wasn't paying attention.

I hope to finally see it this time, lol.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 AM

With my first I lost my entire plug at 35w 6d, water broke that night, had my son less than a day later at 36 weeks. This time I am 36w 2d and losing a little at a time with no signs of impending labor. It could be weeks or it could be a matter of days. Only time will tell. If you are already 3-4cm, things could very well pick up very soon. *Labor Vibes*

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM

You're what, 36 weeks *today*? Will your midwife attend you at home this early? My cutoff is 37 weeks, I am actually on bedrest because I'd been having tons of contractions and possibly a slight fluid leak. I'm just trying to make it until next Tuesday when I'll be 37 weeks.

FTR my son was born at 37 weeks exactly, it was too soon. His first few weeks were kind of a nightmare actually, he didn't know how to nurse, didn't want to do anything but sleep (and not eat), became very jaundiced. 36-37 weekers generally come out breathing and stable, but it's still not ideal -- they're usually not "done" yet.

I'm sure you're just as uncomfortable as I am, so I don't mean to bring you down, but if at all possible your baby needs to stay inside you just a little longer.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 PM

I lost mine on a Sunday morning, and E was born early Tuesday morning...so just shy of 48 hours. However...I've heard that you can lose it/re-grow it as well...and that sometimes you lose it weeks before, so I'm not really sure how good an indicator it is.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

I started losing mine on a Thursday with one, and had her on Sunday morning.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
You're what, 36 weeks *today*? Will your midwife attend you at home this early? My cutoff is 37 weeks, I am actually on bedrest because I'd been having tons of contractions and possibly a slight fluid leak. I'm just trying to make it until next Tuesday when I'll be 37 weeks.
(snip)

I'm sure you're just as uncomfortable as I am, so I don't mean to bring you down, but if at all possible your baby needs to stay inside you just a little longer.
I have had some spikes in my blood pressure over the past few weeks. It looks like I am pre, pre-e if that makes sense. My urine and blood tests were fine though. My midwife feels that it is better for the baby to be born sooner rather than later. She has no problem attending a hb after 36 weeks (my dates are based on ovulation), if labor starts on it own. Sorry you had such a rough start with you son. We are not rushing this babe, I stopped working two weeks earlier than planned in order to keep my bp down and avoid induction. But if labor starts now, it's baby time.

''''

Old 07-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Wow, sorry to hear about the BP problems. Good luck to you, hope it all goes well and doesn't take too much longer
Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 AM

Lost mine with an episode of Pre-term labor at 31 weeks last pg. I delivered at 39 weeks without being on bedrest prior.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 AM

Started loosing a bunch of mine at about 34wks but here I am still pregnant at 38wks.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

User Tag List