Can EPO cause contractions? How many mgs are you taking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife recommended starting EPO at 36 weeks - 1 pill 3x/ day. Then at 37 weeks go to 2 pills 3x/ day (I guess the pills are 500 mgs each?). I didn't start until 37 weeks so I thought I'd start with two pills - but have had lots of contractions ever since.

EPO isn't supposed to put you into labor right? I'm not even 38 weeks yet... I'm almost positive that the contractions are just BH but are still uncomfortable for me.

Do you think they're caused by the EPO? How much are you taking? Do you think I should back down to 1 pill 3x/ day at this point (I'm not quite 38 weeks).

???
#2 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 02:47 PM

No, it doesn't cause contractions. You could just be having BH or prodromal labor or you could actually be starting labor. Both my kids were born at 37 weeks.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 04:06 PM

I been taking 3 (500 mgs) capsules a day (in the morning) and 3 vaginally at night. Today I went for my appt. and the baby has dropped dramatically and my cervix is soft! yay! : IT'S WORKING!!! I been taking this for already a week. I am 38 wks preggo

I been doing a lot of casual walking, like going to the mall or big stores. Nothing fancy, but everytime I do I get tons of contractions.

Epo is not supposed to give you contractions but some sites say it does... who knows!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#4 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 PM

I've just been told it softens the cervix but it won't start labor.

Blessed mama of four
::
#5 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm taking 2 1000mg capsules a day orally. I don't like the idea of inserting it vaginally. Maybe I'll try it when DH is back at work for the entire next week. Also, I've been taking 3x2 capsules of 5W for the past two weeks. I have lost some mucus today and at my 36week checkup I was 1cm dilated (which might not mean anything tough). I also think I can feel my cervix but I'm no pro when it comes to that.

joy.gif
#6 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I'm taking 2 1000mg capsules a day orally. I don't like the idea of inserting it vaginally. Maybe I'll try it when DH is back at work for the entire next week. Also, I've been taking 3x2 capsules of 5W for the past two weeks. I have lost some mucus today and at my 36week checkup I was 1cm dilated (which might not mean anything tough). I also think I can feel my cervix but I'm no pro when it comes to that.
What is 5W?
#7 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 PM

#8 of 8 Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyoosh View Post
What is 5W?
those are 5 herbs for 5 wks before your birth to help you prepare for your birth, I so wished to have started that!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page