Only 34 weeks and I think I'm dilating . . . Updated - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-20-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, only 2 days out of town and I missed more births!

Last week I saw Enith's post about checking her cervix so it got me thinking. I'm only 34 weeks today, but #2 was born at 34 weeks, 2 days (with some bleeding and ctx that started at 32 weeks, 2 days). I decided to check my cervix yesterday. It is semi-flattened and very soft and I could def. fit one finger and maybe even 2 (but I didn't want to push it), but it is still posterior. I got to it fairly easily once and then couldn't get it at all a few minutes later. (I have long fingers and could even feel her head farther up, but I don't think she's dropped yet.) I don't know if I'm effaced at all. It had a bit of length still. Also, I don't think I've lost my mucous plug. I never noticed when I did with my others though.

Should I be worried? I really don't want to sit in the hospital hooked up to things for a couple of weeks. Of course, I don't want her to be in danger either if something can be done now to keep her in or if I should be getting the steroid shots to help her lungs now. How much longer can I expect to go if I AM dilated? I'm just looking for some advice. I just don't know if I'm ready to go to my m/w with this yet. I haven't talked to anyone about it yet (even dh).

UPDATE: I saw my m/w today and I'm not dilated! YEAH! I am soft and about 60% effaced so getting closer and will probably go early. Just hang on for 3 more weeks, baby girl!
#2 of 10 Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 PM

Gosh I wish I could check my own cervix. I wouldn't even know how to do it or what to feel for.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#3 of 10 Old 07-20-2008, 11:17 PM

I was 3-4cm dilated at my 36 weeks appt. this week, it was the first time I was checked. According to my midwife, it doesn't mean that labor will start any sooner than if I wasn't dilated, but I may have a shorter labor because I won't have to dilate from 0-10cms. Here's to hoping!

''''

#4 of 10 Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 PM

Do you know why you delivered early the first time?

I wouldn't be worried exactly, but I would be taking it very easy. I'd also assume your care provider has you on more monitoring, and if not I'd kind of push for it. Having had preterm labor is a pretty big risk factor for having it again, and if it does turn out you're going early, you want time to beef up babe's lungs and all.

I dilate every time at 32 weeks (for unrelated external reasons- exhaustion, dog jumped on my belly, etc) to about 1cm, and then snap back shut until around 35. Then I go to about 1.5 and stay that way until 37 weeks when I dilate to 3 and sit there until then end (41 weeks). So, personally I dilate around then and all it means is I have 2 more months of pregnancy, but then I didn't give birth at 34w2d once before, you know?
#5 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempmama View Post
I wouldn't be worried exactly, but I would be taking it very easy.
I agree to that!

take it easy for 3 more wks. at least you know you'll have a quick labor

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#6 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 AM

I think you are fine. I would probably advise that you not do too much walking or housework. Put yourself on modified bedrest and keep yourself well fed and hydrated.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#7 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I think the reason for my pre-term ctx last time was that I had a slight placental separation and was bleeding. It irritated my uterous. It was on the outside and my m/w was able to see on the placenta where it was happening after the fact. My m/w and I have talked about it a lot and really think it was an isolated situation. The placenta had been a little low and maybe just wasn't "right" to begin with (though baby was getting everything he needed from it and was and has been perfectly healthy aside from arriving early). I got the steroid shots with him and I think that may have been what caused him to actually come so early - his lungs were mature so it triggered "real" labor. Also, my cervix never dilated at all until real labor.

So I don't really think that necessarily indicates I'll go too early this time, but THEN I find my cervix changing already. I'm not having any painful ctx like I did here and there with #2. I only have the reagular tightening of b/h that I've had thoughout both my other pg's and this one. Nothing regular, though.

So I don't know. A part of me is a little scared just because of everything last time. But I KNOW that this is a different pg and that the third can be a roller coaster (I've read). I also know that dilation by itself isn't an indicator that labor is impending, but I'm just freaking out a little. I guess I should call my m/w.
#8 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Most practicioners won't give the steroids past 34w anyway because their effectiveness is rather limited.

I'd take it easy and keep your hands out of your nethers
#9 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
I'd take it easy and keep your hands out of your nethers
I wish I had!
#10 of 10 Old 07-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Dilating early can also be very very normal for a lot of women. Some women walk around at 5cm for weeks and go over!! Some are closed and high and hard and have their baby in two hours.

Listen to your body and don't do too much. You are so close!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page