People say the oddest things... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
honestly, I don't mind the comments about being pregnant in the summer, because that's *my* biggest complaint and I like the sympathy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 05:08 PM

At sea world I would get stares....I mean...big stares especiallly when i was holding my 14 old month.

I would get OMG you are huge! (thanks...I needed to hear that).

You are about ready to pop! (not yet...but thank you for telling me)

You must be so hot! (yes, and irritated so why don't you buy me one of these expensive sodas here at Sea world and shut up)

Yes, they are all mine. We are not done.
#33 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post
honestly, I don't mind the comments about being pregnant in the summer, because that's *my* biggest complaint and I like the sympathy.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#34 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
At sea world I would get stares....I mean...big stares especiallly when i was holding my 14 old month.

I would get OMG you are huge! (thanks...I needed to hear that).

You are about ready to pop! (not yet...but thank you for telling me)

You must be so hot! (yes, and irritated so why don't you buy me one of these expensive sodas here at Sea world and shut up)

Yes, they are all mine. We are not done.
We just went to Sea World and I was getting the same stares. So I just left my tank on.

At the beginning of this pg we went to a water park inear dallas and I walked around with only a bathing suit on...I was already showing quite a bit and all the skanky little teenage brats were giving me dirty looks. I wanted to smack the <bleep> out of them!
#35 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyz View Post
But what really bothers me is everyone asking the name, which we aren't telling until she's born. I suppose it's fine if people want to ask once, but I make it clear that we aren't telling, and the SAME people ask OVER AND OVER again. Always, "so, have you decided on a name yet?" And these people don't get subtlety (my usual answer to deflect is "oh, we're waiting until she's born to set it for sure"), so even after I come right out and say "We're not telling anyone until she's born. We didn't want a lot of input, because it's hard enough for DH and I to find one we agree on.
this has been similar for us too, though perhaps not as extreme as in your situation, as far as people asking all the time. with ds everyone made a huge deal out of the name we picked (including some really rude comments from family members) and my sil took the liberty of telling everyone (church members, friends, etc) the name we had picked out instead of letting us tell, often right in front of us. this time dh and i have had a harder time picking out any names. we've finally picked out a girl's name (though still no clue as to a boy's name) but i don't want to tell anyone so that we can avoid the blabbing and personal opinions we dealt with last time. comments as to how big i am getting don't bother me so much, since i feel like i am ginormous and about to split open like an overripe fruit anyways....but shutup about the baby's name and gender already, please...

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#36 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 PM

My BIL today goes, DAMN-you look pregnant...I was like, um duh?

My friend's mom says to me today, oh your husband must be ready for this to be done! I was like WTH do you mean? HE isn't doing anything, he is just living with me! She goes, oh well, he has to deal with you whining all the time...I nearly hit her! I DON'T whine, NOT is it any of her f'ing business if I do AND if that is all my husband had to deal with, then good for him-I AM THE PREGNANT ONE!! GEEZ!!!!!!!

Again with my friend's mom...so you aren't going to starve this baby by breastfeeding again are you? In reference to my breastfeeding troubles with DD which are an EXTREMELY sensitive subject and she knows that.....

My mother goes, have you gained a lot of weight? Hello? I lost over 50lbs and you can't SEE that? I even dropped 2 sizes and even with my huge baby belly, I still wear a smaller than my pre-pregnancy size..so just because my fat ass sister gained like 75lbs with her son that means I had to as well????? I lost with this baby and with my DD...

Again with my mother, so are you going to schedule a c-section since you are overdue now? I am 38 weeks now...HOW is that overdue? And WHY would I schedule a c-section ANYWAYS for being over my due date? She was like, well, you can't be thinking of having the baby at home again are you? Like my relatively short, completely uncomplicated, beautiful drug free homebirth 17 months ago is reason for me to run right out and sign up for a c-section in a hospital???

Stupid people abound for sure.....

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#37 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
My BIL today goes, DAMN-you look pregnant...I was like, um duh?

My friend's mom says to me today, oh your husband must be ready for this to be done! I was like WTH do you mean? HE isn't doing anything, he is just living with me! She goes, oh well, he has to deal with you whining all the time...I nearly hit her! I DON'T whine, NOT is it any of her f'ing business if I do AND if that is all my husband had to deal with, then good for him-I AM THE PREGNANT ONE!! GEEZ!!!!!!!

Again with my friend's mom...so you aren't going to starve this baby by breastfeeding again are you? In reference to my breastfeeding troubles with DD which are an EXTREMELY sensitive subject and she knows that.....

My mother goes, have you gained a lot of weight? Hello? I lost over 50lbs and you can't SEE that? I even dropped 2 sizes and even with my huge baby belly, I still wear a smaller than my pre-pregnancy size..so just because my fat ass sister gained like 75lbs with her son that means I had to as well????? I lost with this baby and with my DD...

Again with my mother, so are you going to schedule a c-section since you are overdue now? I am 38 weeks now...HOW is that overdue? And WHY would I schedule a c-section ANYWAYS for being over my due date? She was like, well, you can't be thinking of having the baby at home again are you? Like my relatively short, completely uncomplicated, beautiful drug free homebirth 17 months ago is reason for me to run right out and sign up for a c-section in a hospital???

Stupid people abound for sure.....

geeez! I think you win the prize for stupid remarks --- coming from family and friends no less!!
#38 of 44 Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyz View Post
But what really bothers me is everyone asking the name, which we aren't telling until she's born. I suppose it's fine if people want to ask once, but I make it clear that we aren't telling, and the SAME people ask OVER AND OVER again.
Same story here. If I haven't told you by now, chances are very high that I won't be telling. Get over it.

I also get the crap about the weather. Hello people... it's 101 degrees here today. EVERYONE is hot and miserable. Thank goodness I'm clever enough to stay in the air-conditioning.

I hate people. :

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#39 of 44 Old 07-23-2008, 12:53 AM

Surprisingly enough I haven't gotten any stupid or random comments. Well, actually my boss thinks I shouldn't lift anything over 5 lbs and should have an ultrasound at every appt. but I learned to ignore him a long time ago.
#40 of 44 Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 AM
hyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post
I also get the crap about the weather. Hello people... it's 101 degrees here today. EVERYONE is hot and miserable. Thank goodness I'm clever enough to stay in the air-conditioning.
Oh, that really made me chuckle this morning. Thanks.

I've gotten similar comments about the weather ("oooh, pregnant in the summer, I do NOT recommend that, it's awful, you should plan better next time, blah blah blah"), in particular from a coworker who had her baby in August a couple years ago. I know for a FACT that she works ALL day in A/C, and then drives in her air conditioned car to her lovely air conditioned home or the air conditioned mall. She is not a person who enjoys or participates in any outdoor activities in any event. So I don't get WHY she thinks it was so awful to be pregnant in the summer. Granted, she apparently had a fairly miserable pregnancy, but I don't see what the weather had to do with that....

Actually, the only thing that bothers me about this summer pregnancy deal is that we're planning a hospital birth, and all the new residents start in July, all petrified and confused and bumbling. So I'm afraid we're going to get some kind of three stooges or deer in the headlights routine, and we're going to have to be careful to keep the newbies in line.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#41 of 44 Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM

I get the stereotypical "your having a boy" comment. The same thing with my last pregnancy (which was a girl) and by U/S this one is also a girl. Then they say "wow but your carrying so high, it must be a boy". Then I respond with " actually she is really low at this point and totally engaged. ". And I see more shock and awe in their eyes. Just because I have a very short torso, I am only 5'2", and am normally a size1 or XS in clothes the babe has no where to go. She is just packed in their nice and tight! I must have heard this comment like 20 times at least pregnancy! :

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#42 of 44 Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinCanada View Post

What are some of your oddest comments?

Carolyn

EDD 08/31/08
From a male coworker on hearing that I was pregnant:

Him: "You're married, aren't you?"
Me: "Does it matter?" *said in a very snarky tone
Him: "Well, ummm, uh, not to me, but..."
Me: "Why? Are you offering to make an honest woman out of me?" *said with a smile so he'd know I was just busting his chops

Then we both laughed. But I bet he never says that to another pregnant woman again!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#43 of 44 Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post

Me: "Why? Are you offering to make an honest woman out of me?" *said with a smile so he'd know I was just busting his chops

Then we both laughed. But I bet he never says that to another pregnant woman again!
OMG, I've had that happen too. Someone asked how my "husband" was feeling. I said, "Well, the father of my child feels great and is excited." It's as if not being married and pregnant is the worst possible thing. Yea, I know I'm not married and DP isn't my boyfriend (officially we never pinned our relationship and that's just fine) but still, that doesn't mean he doesn't care about me or this child. Geez! I hate being viewed a statistic or "just another single black mother". *rolling eyes*

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#44 of 44 Old 07-23-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post
Wow, I wish I could come up with great responses like this right on the spot! You are fabulous! I love it!

I've had the super-crazy lady, I can only suppose she was on lots of (non-prescription) drugs, at the grocery store ask if she could touch my belly. I said "no way. You make me way too nervous!" She was shocked and I was shocked that I actually said it. I guess being pregnant makes me more likely to tell the truth.

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page