People say the oddest things... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my little rant for the morning:

Is anyone else getting a little tired of the really odd things people say when the obviously aren't thinking before they open their mouths?

I find I usually get 1 of 3 comments from everyone ranging from my boss to complete strangers:

1) "You're getting HUGE!!!" -this isn't an acceptable thing to say on any other occasion, why is it that it's ok to say it to a pregnant woman? : I usually laugh it off with a sarcastic thanks but come on folks - when a girl hears it 20 times daily it gets old really really fast!

2) "Oh what a horrible time to be pregnant" -Umm, what exactly do you mean by that? I assumed she was talking about the weather but it's only 23o in Toronto right now lady, it's really not that bad! While everyone else is disappointed with the weather lately I've been great! Mid 20's are just fine with me!

3) "You're due in August huh? Wow that was bad planning" -Seriously now, WTH? I planned it this way on purpose so that my husband could take a month off next summer so we could all take a family vacation together. For all this person knows I could have been trying for years & finally conceived my miracle baby! If that was the case I know I wouldn't care when the babe came!

Ugh, some ppl! Thanks for indulging my rant ladies!

What are some of your oddest comments?

Carolyn

EDD 08/31/08

Carolyn - Mama to DD Kailyn (08/08) & due May 18/2011
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35belly.gif*** 40
#2 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM

I've also heard a lot of weather comments, like it is sooooooo terrible to be pregnant in July/August. I live in air conditioning. I go from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned office. I'm not bothered by the heat. Sometimes I need to walk around outside just to warm up!

Of course, my aunt had to make a comment on how huge my thighs were this weekend. Gee, thanks. I've gained 35 pounds. It's gotta go somewhere!
#3 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 AM

My 3 yo told me it is time for the baby to come because my butt is too big.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#4 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM

DH and I were enjoying lunch in a fast food restaurant the other day (a VERY rare occurrence for us), I went to the soda fountain to get our soda (diet dr. pepper.. yum. also very rare) and some very random lady next to me said...

"You know, actually you shouldn't drink diet soda when you're pregnant."

I just stared at her in disbelief of her absolute rudeness and she just kept talking about her doctor and all the different rules that I have to follow.

Wow. People like that actually exist?

I managed to just give her a smile and walk away, for the sake of my Husband. If he wasn't around I would have totally ripped that lady a new one. :

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#5 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Weather - lol we just got back from the middle east I can handle a 52 degrees but 25 degrees should be too much for me here?
Quote:
"You're getting HUGE!!!"
lol return the favour "YOU TOO!"

Quote:
"You're due in August huh? Wow that was bad planning"
my cousins' 17 year old asked me if we planned it....or it was an accident...
yes being hugely pregnant in July/August sux...I wanted to go camping...

8 might be enough
#6 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 AM

On the elevator up to my office this morning we could smell cleaning products. The woman next to me was complaining loudly about it, then turned to me and said, "your baby's gonna get cancer." Nice.
#7 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 11:49 AM

The other day one of my co-workers said 'You're going to pop!' Duh! Thanks for the update!

And one of my friends the other day looked at me and said 'Yeah, I can definitely tell your face is a little bigger.' Nice. Exactly what I wanted to hear at this point.

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#8 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 PM

Oh how I love those comments. I am getting really tired of people telling me I look exhausted and ready for this to be over. I am 9 months pregnant with three toddlers and lots of hot weather, but please don't remind me that I look fat, ugly and tired!!!

On a positive, someone said I look beautiful and so together yesterday and, to add to, this is someone I like and trust!!!
#9 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinCanada View Post
2) "Oh what a horrible time to be pregnant"

3) "You're due in August huh? Wow that was bad planning"
I'll have to admit, going outside for any length of time does make my feet more swollen and aggravate the rashes covering both legs. But it's been over 32 here for most of July.

Those people must either be super super sensitive to heat, or have no idea what summer's like in their own town. Maybe they're visiting from the south?
#10 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Aren't people unbelievable! I'm near Toronto too and the "how can handle the heat" comments are just baffling me. I'm like "most days lately it hasn't even been hot enough for me to consider getting in the pool" I'm very comfortable thanks. And yeah, we've got A/C and fans.

I got really sick of the "OMG you're huge" comments a few months ago and now I don't even hear them. I've been lucky I've kinda been able to just stick pretty close to home base since my son finished school for the summer. School parents we're really starting to bug me as well as people at work. It's just insensitive.

It is so nice when someone tells you how great you look or that you're glowing. I think pregnancy is so darn cute and pretty. I'm looking forward to having the baby but I will miss my bump (as uncomfortable as it is most days). This is my last baby so to think that in a few short weeks (at most) it'll all be over is bitter sweet.
#11 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 PM

I actually havent gotten too many bothersome comments this time. Except early on (like less than 20 weeks) my husband's Grandma would tell me that I looked like a butterball. I would just say "well I suppose the whole 5 pounds that I've gained must be showing somewhere." But that was just ridiculous, so I tried not to let it bother me.
During my last pregnancy (also a summer baby) I was working, and I got a lot more annoying comments then.
#12 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM

I've had complete strangers ask me if I'm having twins. People really feel at liberty to say just about anything to a pregnant woman.

I'm just getting tired of the song and dance I have to do everytime someone wants to talk about my pregnancy. It's always the same... yes, I'm due soon. yes, it sure is hot. yes, I am excited.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#13 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 PM

Going the other way, but not annoying, my mom's visiting my Grandma in Alaska and they've been having weather in the high teens (since this has been a Celsius thread) so when I mentioned how being outside in the heat aggravated things she was thinking to herself "how can the heat be bothering her?" Then when I told her how hot it was here she was like "Oh! Right. You're actually having a summer."
#14 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

people feel sorry for me regarding the heat as well. it's really no problem--i'm in AC whenever i want/need to be, and in the AM and PM i'm outside enjoying the cooler weather (this am it was 77 F, and this evening, it's going to drop back down there around sunset--so i'm out usually then!).

duh. LOL!

now, how victorian ladies did it in those dresses, having to work in various conditions, while pregnant all summer--well, that's gutsy.
#15 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylou View Post
I'm just getting tired of the song and dance I have to do everytime someone wants to talk about my pregnancy. It's always the same... yes, I'm due soon. yes, it sure is hot. yes, I am excited.
They have t-shirts for that.

Best I had was some kids hanging out at the post office were staring at me as I rushed back out to my car. "Are you pregnant?" "Yep, very. 8 months." into car and gone. A little later it occurred to me that they must've been trying to figure out if I was or wasn't the whole time I was in line.
#16 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Another dumb thing people do is ask the older sibling over and over and over the same questions. Have you noticed the same people that maybe see your child once a week or regularly ask them every single time "do want a brother or a sister?" or other similar questions. My son is almost 6 and so excited about that baby but honestly he's SO over answering that question. I know people are just trying to be interested and include the child in the conversation (which often starts with "OMG you're huge) but come up with some more interesting questions please.
#17 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Ha ha ya'll are making me glad that I'm working at home right now and only go out in public when I want to It does seem like people are incapable of discussing anything other than the heat though!!!

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#18 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
hyz

I can't complain too much, because I've been getting kinda the opposite all along ("you don't even look pregnant!" "you're so tiny!" "did your dr tell you you have to gain more weight?"), which is nice in a way, but also gets old.

But what really bothers me is everyone asking the name, which we aren't telling until she's born. I suppose it's fine if people want to ask once, but I make it clear that we aren't telling, and the SAME people ask OVER AND OVER again. Always, "so, have you decided on a name yet?" And these people don't get subtlety (my usual answer to deflect is "oh, we're waiting until she's born to set it for sure"), so even after I come right out and say "We're not telling anyone until she's born. We didn't want a lot of input, because it's hard enough for DH and I to find one we agree on. Plus, everyone already knows the due date and the sex--something has to be a surprise!" THEY STILL KEEP ASKING. OMG, people, take a hint. :

Oh, and then there are the people at work who now feel free to ask about the state of my cervix, my bodily fluids, and my sex life. It's great to talk about that sort of thing in private with friends, but I don't like being grilled about it in the middle of the hallway with other random work people walking by, or, even worse, when people at work whose names I don't even know feel free to bring it up. Common standards of professional decorum still apply here, people.

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
#19 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
My 4yo ds asked me why if the baby is in my belly my butt and boobs had gotten so big :

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#20 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyz View Post
Oh, and then there are the people at work who now feel free to ask about the state of my cervix, my bodily fluids, and my sex life.
"Just fine. How's yours?"
#21 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 02:26 PM

I hate that people act surprised when I tell them I'm pregnant or hint at it. I know I'm overweight but I'm not that big and I have a massive belly sticking out. I look pretty damn pregnant not just fat.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#22 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 PM

I ran into an old co-worker at the grocery store the other day and I've seen him several times with my dd, who is now three and he asks "is this little one yours" and so I said, "yes, my first baby and she is going to be a big sister in a few weeks" and it appeared he hadn't even noticed the watermelon under my shirt and said "oh, you carry it well".....I was stunned. I too am on the heavier side, but come on 36 weeks along there is clearly a baby BUMP there!
#23 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I hate that people act surprised when I tell them I'm pregnant or hint at it. I know I'm overweight but I'm not that big and I have a massive belly sticking out. I look pretty damn pregnant not just fat.
That happened to me recently. I am overweight too, but I definitely have an obvious baby belly. Someone was like "oh, you're pregnant??". I asked them if they thought I was just drinking lots of beer lately.
#24 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM

When I was pregnant with my twins, I got tons of comments (very personal comments and questions, not-funny jokes, etc.) from random people. When I had infant twins with me at the grocery store, etc., I also got tons of comments (inquiries into the state of my fertility, arguments re: the twins' identical/fraternal status, etc.) from random people.

...But now that I'm hugely pregnant in August, walking around with an enormous belly and 3.5-year-old twins, I think people are afraid to say anything. I've gotten about two comments this whole pregnancy.

Nice people give me affectionate smiles. Others give me looks which clearly mean something like "ever hear of birth control?" or maybe "lady, aren't you too old to be pregnant?" But nobody's actually saying anything...

Lucky for them.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#25 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 02:55 PM

I hate the question- "Was this planned?" It makes it seem like if you grow your family w/o a "plan" that your child is unwanted or something. Besides I feel like it is none of their business.

I also hear the whole you planned this pregnancy well- (sarcasm- relating to the summer pregnancy in 100 degree thing.)
#26 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post
That happened to me recently. I am overweight too, but I definitely have an obvious baby belly. Someone was like "oh, you're pregnant??". I asked them if they thought I was just drinking lots of beer lately.
With my sense of humor that would have turned into something along the lines of the trapped gas and haven't been able to burp in 8 months.

But I tend to be rather snarky.
#27 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliarose View Post
I hate the question- "Was this planned?" It makes it seem like if you grow your family w/o a "plan" that your child is unwanted or something.
Ahhh none of my friends have dared to ask me this - because I know they are all thinking that the answer is no, since we had not been married that long when we conceived. I wish they would so I could correct them!

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#28 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
AHHHH, that's too cute!

Mine is getting bigger too and whenever I talk about it, my DD says " momma...your butt IS NOT getting bigger." Makes your heart melt bc they are lying so nice to you!
#29 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 03:58 PM

A lady I work with has been swearing I'm having twins even though I have ultrasounds and everything else to prove there's only one. She still calls me "twins" when she sees me. I swear, i want to kick her azz most days.

I also keep hearing "that baby isn't here yet?!":, "OMG you look ready to pop":, "Wow, you look tired. It's almost over":. I'm not tired! My face is bigger so I look tired azzhole! I'm at the point where I just don't speak to people but being pregnant everyone has something to say to you. Even my own mother swears I'm getting bigger by the day. I SEE HER EVERYDAY! Honestly, I just want to be left alone. I don't want anyone to say anything to me about this pregnancy anymore. I'm done. I'm going to change the outgoing message on my voicemail to say, "Yes, I'm still pregnant!"

Oh and I also get the "it sucks to be pregnant during the summer" comments. Whatever....

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#30 of 44 Old 07-22-2008, 04:32 PM

I want to make a tank top that says....

"please don't feed any unsolicitated advice"

you know like at the zoo...

lol

I hate the stares...just bc I have a big belly you are going to stare like you've never seen one before....seriously...???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page