All about Group B - Add your thoughts too. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 positives (35 weeks, 37 weeks)
I tried everything and I mean everything!
We will use Hibiclens every 6 hours while in labor and I will take IV antibiotics if I get a fever or are ruptured longer then 18 hours.
I am fine with this plan.
I have heard healthcare providers are more likely to be positive and I was positive last time too. Just part of my natural flora I guess :

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#32 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM

just had my lil one and did test positive for gbs
did probiotics vit c and hibiclense douche when water broke every 6 hours
I like to test just so i can make educated decisions on how to proceed
if it was a test that had a high false postive or highly invasive or something wouldnt get but im glad i did

maya mama to dd 10,ds 5,ds 21m &15weeks
#33 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Just googled group b since I've never heard of it. On a women's site in the uk I found this:

"In the UK, ENGBSS occurs in 0.3/1000 neonates. In the US it is 3/1000."

I live in scandinavia and have never ever heard of testing for this or the use of antibiotics after birth... with #1 I went to 1 dr and 4 state employed mw's and non of them mentioned any testing.

Maybe it's impossible for us to know, but when did this become a hyped issue in the US (much like the glucose test)? And why is it a non-issue in other medically modernized western countries?

I can't help but be skeptical to the whole thing.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#34 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
Just googled group b since I've never heard of it. On a women's site in the uk I found this:

"In the UK, ENGBSS occurs in 0.3/1000 neonates. In the US it is 3/1000."

I live in scandinavia and have never ever heard of testing for this or the use of antibiotics after birth... with #1 I went to 1 dr and 4 state employed mw's and non of them mentioned any testing.

Maybe it's impossible for us to know, but when did this become a hyped issue in the US (much like the glucose test)? And why is it a non-issue in other medically modernized western countries?

I can't help but be skeptical to the whole thing.
Good point! Up until 10 years ago we didn't seem to care about it in the US, but infants do die occasionally and there is an easy test, so I guess that is why we test and treat. There is a great deal of resistant GBS (probably from over use of antibiotics) and maybe that is why our incidence is higher??

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#35 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Does anyone know the incidence of hospital vs homebirth? Maybe it is higher in the hospitals too with more "super" bugs around. ??

BTW, I tested positive at 37 weeks. I then did garlic suppositories, probiotics, tea tree oil and hibiclens (Hibiclens just once earlier in the day of the appt.) and my 39 week re-test came back negative.

I will likely still do a hibiclens wash when labor gets really going but I am also a little skeptical of the whole GBS thing...

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#36 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jule924 View Post
GBS is different than regualr strep. It is a bacteria that is harmless to you and can colonize randomly (from my understanding). It lives in your vagina and/or rectum.
Strep throat is caused by group A streptococcus. The difference between group A and group B bacteria are their cell walls, so they are considered different organisms.

Group B strep is normal flora (and is generally beneficial) in the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract and vagina. It only creates problems in the immunosuppressed (non-breast-fed infants), where the bacteria can colonize in large amounts and travel to parts of the body that they're not supposed to (lungs, blood, or brain causing pneumonia, sepsis or meningitis respectively).

I would imagine that the best treatment for newborns of GBS+ mamas is to give them as much of the mother's colostrum in the first hours of life as possible. If you have GBS, then you have antibodies and can give them to the newborn.

The routine use of antibiotics can only make the problem WORSE and not better. If your baby shows signs or has a very high risk of infection (pre-term, for example), that's when antibiotics should be used.

It is helpful to know if you are GBS+ or not, though, I believe... because you can look for symptoms in the newborn and get treatment right away if need be.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#37 of 42 Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
I would imagine that the best treatment for newborns of GBS+ mamas is to give them as much of the mother's colostrum in the first hours of life as possible. If you have GBS, then you have antibodies and can give them to the newborn.

The routine use of antibiotics can only make the problem WORSE and not better. If your baby shows signs or has a very high risk of infection (pre-term, for example), that's when antibiotics should be used.
Now this makes total sense, can you get a job with some clout somewhere in the medical field please

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#38 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 AM

I just found out I'm positive and will be doing the IV antibiotics. I read the stats and thought it was worth it. Supposedly with antibiotics the chance of the baby contracting it is 1 in 4,000 but without the chances are 1 in 200. As much as I think we overuse antibiotics this is one time I won't refuse them.

Heather
#39 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 AM

glad you guys brought this back up again, my mw found out the HOUR prior my delivery that I was positive! We didn't do any antibiotics and we are doing just great I do have to admit that I spent my last month of pregnancy taking probiotics, eating lots of fruit and taking extra vitamin c.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#40 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 AM

I was talking to my mw about the gbs. I did take it and was negative. She told me that the swab is taken from the rectum and vagina in most testing. Which didn't make much sense to me or her. If the baby is coming out of the vagina why not just test that?

She also told me that some doctors will insert the swab into the vagina and then into the rectum. How can that be even accurate.

I actually tested myself (not very comfortable to say the least). Just swabbed the vagina and carefully put it in a tube.
#41 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
I was talking to my mw about the gbs. I did take it and was negative. She told me that the swab is taken from the rectum and vagina in most testing. Which didn't make much sense to me or her. If the baby is coming out of the vagina why not just test that?

She also told me that some doctors will insert the swab into the vagina and then into the rectum. How can that be even accurate.

I actually tested myself (not very comfortable to say the least). Just swabbed the vagina and carefully put it in a tube.
Surprisingly enough, the environment in the rectum is very similar to that of the vagina. Consequently bacteria that are normal flora in the rectum are also present in the vagina. So, if there's GBS in your rectum it can be very easily passed to the vagina.

It's just doctors being over cautious... in case your vagina somehow () becomes inhabited by the flora in your rectum between the time they take the test and the delivery of your baby.

They should be done with separate swabs, though, I would think... it's just plain unsanitary to insert anything into the vagina and also the rectum.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#42 of 42 Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I just found out I'm positive and will be doing the IV antibiotics. I read the stats and thought it was worth it. Supposedly with antibiotics the chance of the baby contracting it is 1 in 4,000 but without the chances are 1 in 200. As much as I think we overuse antibiotics this is one time I won't refuse them.
You also need to take into account that it (taking antibiotics) increases the chances of e-coli infection and other opportunistic infections after birth as well as conditions such as thrush and digestive disturbances. It isn't as simple as it seems sometimes. I believe it is a tough decision and women who test positive frequently are probably hosts to higher culture #'s than women who test positive and negative depending on the day and the chance of infection is higher in women with higher culture #'s. Of course premature babies, babies not breastfed, hospital births are more susceptible too so it depends on your situation entirely.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page