All about Group B - Add your thoughts too. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it might be nice to start a few different discussions about some decisions that we will all need to be making soon.

I found this article here at mothering. group B testing

What are you thoughts on this test and how would you treat if you chose to do it and it was positive?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Ha! I just commented on this. I think for the most part, I may go ahead and do the antibiotics but I definitely want to speak to my MW about natural prevention methods before we absolutely make that call. I don't want to put my baby at risk but the percentage of infants that actually end up with GBS issues is pretty low. My mom also just told me that the antibiotics does have an affect on nursing so I may want to see what other options there are.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#3 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 03:44 PM

I was negative, but had I tested positive my midwife said we would use an antibiotic cream as opposed to an IV to treat it.

''''

#4 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 03:47 PM

haven't researched it too much watched a show where the full term healthy infant died from strep b...so...I always thought it was not a bad prophalactic thing if you were positive....?

8 might be enough
#5 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM

I have done lots of research on this and since I am positive for the test this pregnancy, I am going to get the antibiotics. I want to be discharged early and my midwife told me that they will not discharge the baby early if I refuse the antibiotics. My only concern is how to be certain that I am at the hospital with 4hours prior to the birth to get both doses. How can anyone predict that? I have started my probiotics and bought some today that I can give the baby. Hopefully this will prevent any issues with trush. Florastor kids is what I am using for the baby. I realize that there are supposedly natural things that you can do to change the outcome of your test, but my midwife told me in all the years that she has been a midwife that she has never had a positive test change to negative, even with all the garlic, yogurt, & other natural remedies.
#6 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
4hours prior to the birth to get both doses
I had my last baby in under an hour 4 weeks early what would they want to do to me then?

8 might be enough
#7 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 04:02 PM

I had GBS with my second. I went to the hospital after my water broke, and then labor stopped for the next 12 hours. They continued to give me iv antibiodics every 4 hours until I delivered (24 hours later). I got really sick from that much. Had I to do over again, I would have declined the iv until active labor started again.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#8 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 PM

All I know so far is that I did consent to have the test done so that in the event we were in the hospital they would not automatically treat me as though I was positive and have to keep the baby there for 48 extra hours. Haven't gotten the results back though so I have not thought about or asked MW what my course of action would be if I were positive!

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#9 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I had my last baby in under an hour 4 weeks early what would they want to do to me then?
Obviously the set up isn't perfect, but even if I only get 1 dose of the antibiotic, it significantly decreases the chance of the baby getting the strep b. Without it, 1 in 200 strep b + mom's babies will get it. With one dose that decreases a huge amt. Can't recall the exact numbers (good old pregnancy brain!), but my midwife mentioned it 2 me a few weeks ago.
#10 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Banned

i didn't get the test because i'm UPing. according to the information i've read, it's rare to pass it along even if one is positive, and that there are many natural ways to eliminate the disease from the body.

i've just started my "prep for birth" regimen which includes preventative measures for this, even though i do not know if i have it or not. i figure it can't hurt. i'm doing the yogurt process (eating yogurt and using yogurt in the vagina). my other regimens include drinking RRL tea and also starting EPO and perineal massage.

and that's me! getting ready for birth. totally fun!
#11 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 PM

I'm ticked that I've been doing probiotics, garlic, etc since 30 weeks or so, and I still tested positive. Boo.

I feel a little conflicted about the options I have: my first instinct is to forego the antibiotics, unless one (or more!) of the following happens: labour before 37 weeks (too late now), temperature during delivery, membranes ruptured for more than 20 hours. I'm not a fan of antibiotics (and am a little sketched out by thrush, yeast, etc., but not as sketched out as the thought of my baby getting quite sick). It also seems that there is some conflict over the onset of GBS. My MW said the only time a baby has gotten ill with it was with a mom that tested negative....which makes me kind of pause and think.
It seems like since I had my DD 3 years ago, the standard protocol has changed. My MW said (last time around) that it wasn't worth doing partially-and I had a very quick labour (under 4 hours once I got to the hospital). Standard procedure then was to use antibiotics if you had one of the risk factors. I remember monitoring DD's temperature for a couple of weeks, and that was it. Now it seems that MWs, OBs, etc are encouraging antibiotics as a standard course of action. My MW said that a study had come out saying that even with 1 dose of antiobiotics, at 1 hour, there was enough of a decrease in the colony to warrant the use of antibiotics.
I was tested merely bc I want to know for sure what my status is-and if one of the risk factors presents itself on d-day, I can make a more informed choice.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#12 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM

I am getting tested tomorrow just to know my "status". I believe 1-2/100 positive moms will have babies who get GBS but that the majority of those babies do well with treatment and do not have serious complications. So the risks of a positive GBS mom of passing it onto the newborn is .5 to 1% and serious complications is even less than that. Seems pretty low to me. And then when you take into account that sometimes negative GBS moms still have newborns that have the infection. ??? Maybe having the baby in a hospital ups your chances of infection.??? Just a thought.

If I have over 24 hours of labor after water breaks we will try to get things going as much as possible, as quickly as possible and then closely watch baby for any signs of infection. My water didn't even break until artificially ruptured during pushing with ds so it may completely be a non-issue. I was negative with him but we will see what happens tomorrow. I am not too worried either way though.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#13 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM

I turned down the test. Since homebirth midwives are illegal in my state my midwife can't give antibiotics if I ended up with a GBS+ test.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#14 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 PM

I was neg. with #1 and pos. with #2 and got the antibiotics. I want to avoid the antibiotics this time. I've started taking garlic tablets, pro-biotic tablets as well as eating yogurt almost every day. I also am starting tonight to insert a clove of garlic vaginally and nightly for 8 nights. My GBS test is next Thurs. I'll let you know how it goes!
#15 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM

I think I recently read something about adding some tea tree oil to your bathwater for a few days before testing. Anyone concur?
#16 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 PM

I found a cool study on Hibiclense and GBS. Google it, I dont know if we can link here.

Anyhow, I was most nervous about this test over any other...Im so thankful I was negative.
#17 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 PM

I will get the test and will get the antibiotics if I am positive.
#18 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 PM

I was positive with DS and was on abx from the induction on. I just learned today that I'm negative in this pregnancy...

joy.gif
#19 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Turns out I'm positive and that they will be administering antibiotics in my IV when I go into active labor. No other way around it. I'm fine with this though.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#20 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 PM

getting tested tomorrow to know my 'status', so if i do test + i know to be more vigilant after the birth to detect any signs of infection, but will not be planning on using antibiotics in labor unless i have prolonged rupture of membranes. i think my labor last time would've been 6 hrs or less had i not gone to the hospital (once i got there my contractions almost stopped after being consistent for 2 hrs.) and i had AROM at 7 cm...2nd labors are usually quicker, i will be birthing at home this time w/o vaginal exams, which lessens the risk of transmission anyways. i have thought about giving birth in water if i do test + as i heard that can also lessen the risk of transmission...but we will see what happens.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#21 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 PM

I did not test for it this time around as I wouldn't use antibiotics if I were to test positive. IMO, the problem is that you test between 35-37 weeks and from the research I've done you may come up positive but be negative when you go into labor or vice-versa. Had I tested and tested positive, the midwife has lots of ideas to help boost immunity -which I'm doing now anyway.
#22 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 PM

I could go on and on...
I was positive for my first pg and I ruptured prior to active labor and so had 50 hours of IV antibiotics (every 4 hours) in the hospital. This pregnancy I have been combating GBS really since before conception! I was just taking probiotics and unfortunately have GBS in my urine at 8 weeks. After that came back I ramped up my efforts. I have been doing probiotics, garlic tabs, vitamin C, and as much fermented food as I can tolerate (FYI yogurt has a very low concentration of cultures). I have included kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, miso, cultured butter, and yogurt in my diet and for a short time took grapefruit seed extract. I am waiting on my vaginal swab results and if I am positive I know my MW will have me do hydrogen peroxide douches and I think some other herbs/tinctures like echinacea and vaginal garlic. We have discussed hibiclens douches every 6 hours while in labor in I am still positive and I will accept IV antibiotics if I am ruptured for an extended period and/or develop a fever.
My sister was able to change her status in her last pg, but I have known many women who have made huge efforts similar to mine and still ended up testing positive. Carriers tend to stay carriers, especially health care workers

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#23 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 PM

I tested negative. If I were positive I would have refused the antibiotics because I am against their use as routine or preventative, but it's good information to have.

I'm slightly horrified by all the inserting this and that into vaginas and douching and so forth... I was always under the impression that the less you do to your vagina the better it is at cleaning itself. For the record, I've never had any vaginal problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#24 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 AM

I already did the test just waiting for results. I always test negative. I been taking probiotics, lots of fruits (vit C) and vit C tablets too, so hopefully I'll be okay...

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#25 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 AM

I was + with DD and did a homebirth and used the hibiclens douche. No infection.

I am + with this baby as well and will do the hibiclens again.

This is what my midwife sent me as protocol:
140 ml of 0.2% chlorhexidine vaginal wash at the onset of labor or at rupture of membranes, whichever comes first, and to be repeated every 6 hours

Prepare the 0.2% chlorhexidine solution by combining 7 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) Hibiclens© (4% chlorhexidine) with 133 ml (1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons) of water.
Use the entire amount each time, and mix a fresh batch for every application.

Hibiclens© can be purchased at most pharmacies, without a prescription. Please purchase this ahead of time, as some pharmacies do not stock it, and may need to order it for you. The smallest bottle should be sufficient. Tranfer your diluted solution into a disposable douche bottle. Use as a vaginal wash/rinse, not under pressure, at the onset of labor and every six hours thereafter until birth.

Based on:
1: Int J Antimicrob Agents 1999 Aug;12(3):245-51(Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Aker Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway)
This prospective controlled trial demonstrated that vaginal douching with 0.2% chlorhexidine during labor can significantly reduce both maternal and early neonatal infectious morbidity. The squeeze bottle procedure was simple, quick, and well tolerated. The beneficial effect may be ascribed both to mechanical cleansing by liquid flow and to the disinfective action of chlorhexidine.

J Matern Fetal Med 2002 Feb; 11(2):84-8 (Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Pediatric Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena Italy)
Conclusion: In this carefully screened target population, intrapartum vaginal flushings with chlorhexidine in colonized mothers display the same efficacy as ampicillin in preventing vertical transmission of group B streptococcus. Moreover, the rate of neonatal E. coli colonization was reduced by chlorhexidine.

So in case anyone wanted another option than antibiotics and/or another opinion!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#26 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
I was + with DD and did a homebirth and used the hibiclens douche. No infection.

I am + with this baby as well and will do the hibiclens again.

This is what my midwife sent me as protocol:
140 ml of 0.2% chlorhexidine vaginal wash at the onset of labor or at rupture of membranes, whichever comes first, and to be repeated every 6 hours

Prepare the 0.2% chlorhexidine solution by combining 7 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) Hibiclens© (4% chlorhexidine) with 133 ml (1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons) of water.
Use the entire amount each time, and mix a fresh batch for every application.

Hibiclens© can be purchased at most pharmacies, without a prescription. Please purchase this ahead of time, as some pharmacies do not stock it, and may need to order it for you. The smallest bottle should be sufficient. Tranfer your diluted solution into a disposable douche bottle. Use as a vaginal wash/rinse, not under pressure, at the onset of labor and every six hours thereafter until birth.

Based on:
1: Int J Antimicrob Agents 1999 Aug;12(3):245-51(Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Aker Hospital, University of Oslo, Norway)
This prospective controlled trial demonstrated that vaginal douching with 0.2% chlorhexidine during labor can significantly reduce both maternal and early neonatal infectious morbidity. The squeeze bottle procedure was simple, quick, and well tolerated. The beneficial effect may be ascribed both to mechanical cleansing by liquid flow and to the disinfective action of chlorhexidine.

J Matern Fetal Med 2002 Feb; 11(2):84-8 (Department of Gynecology, Obstetrics and Pediatric Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena Italy)
Conclusion: In this carefully screened target population, intrapartum vaginal flushings with chlorhexidine in colonized mothers display the same efficacy as ampicillin in preventing vertical transmission of group B streptococcus. Moreover, the rate of neonatal E. coli colonization was reduced by chlorhexidine.

So in case anyone wanted another option than antibiotics and/or another opinion!
Thanks so much for the details. I have gbs, and another midwife had suggested the hibiclense.

We are just now switching to a homebirth after going to the hospital in active labor. I was stabbed six times by three different nurses trying to get an iv going. They finally called the anesthesiologist on duty and it took him three more stabs to get an iv going. My hands and arms are so bruised that I look like a drug junkie. By that time, I had lost focus and my body went into protect mode stopping my labor. On the ride home dh and I decided that we needed a homebirth.

Oh, I should add that the same thing happened to me with ds2. Went to the hospital after my water broke in active labor. It took 6 stabs to get my iv in, and by then my labor stopped for the next 12 hours. They then pumped me with pitocin.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#27 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 AM

Wanna hear something interesting? Goes to show how unreliable an early test can be. At 33 wks I got food poisoning and had to go to L&D- they did GBS test and checked dilation, etc. So...

33.5 wks GBS NEGATIVE
35.5 wks GBS POSITIVE (with MW)
36.5 wks GBS NEGATIVE
37.5 wks GBS pending

why so many? I have serious allergies to most abx (penn, ammox, eurythro, and more) so they were *supposed* to do a strain resistance after the +. They couldn't do it of course b/c next test was neg. I blame the + on the fact that I couldn't eat for a week and so of course my whole body was way out of sorts. This is my 3rd child and first ever + GBS.
#28 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM

I used garlic vaginally for 8 nights (there was a link posted in one of these GBS threads and I followed those directions) before my GBS test. I was positive with #2 and really wanted to be neg. with this one. I got my negative! They also recommended using the garlic about once a week after to maintain until birth. I plan to do that as well. I have also been taking garlic pills as well as acidopholys (sp?). I guess something worked! I really didn't want to be hooked up to anything this time.
#29 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 02:59 PM

This may be a dumb question but.....I have never had strep in my life. I heard from a friend that you were either a carrier or not. If I have never had it can I still be a carrier? I have my test in 2 weeks so I guess I will know then. If I had it I would do the IV antibiotics. I would rather me be treated just to be safe than something having to happen to the baby. I want his first few days to be as peaceful as possible.
#30 of 42 Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM

GBS is different than regualr strep. It is a bacteria that is harmless to you and can colonize randomly (from my understanding). It lives in your vagina and/or rectum.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page