-I think I'm dialated 2cm... maybe more *update this morning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I was reading some of the other posts and read that if you can fit one finger then it's 2cm...First off it's really hard to reach up there anyways but sitting on the toilet and with my middle finger I managed... I can get the tip of my finger in but there may be room for two its not really a tight fit but I can only get it in so far then it feels closed... what does that mean for efacement do you think? And since my cervix is very soft and mushy and I can fit the tip of my middle finger in loosely would you say its maybe 3 or 4 cm dialated?

Thanks for the answers...
Also is there an easier way to check yourself? How are you ladies doing it?

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM

You can check effacement by feeling the outside of your cervix. Typically it's 4cm and then starts to shorten as you get closer to your edd.

I had been checking my cervix almost constantly, but it changes even throughout the day (sometimes is high and tight in the morning and then gets anterior and soft in the afternoon, etc), so I've pretty much stopped. My baby's head isn't engaged yet, so I doubt I'll do much dilating until he begins to drop and put pressure on the cervix.

You can measure out 2cm, 3cm, etc on a ruler and then just ballpark your dilation that way. 4cm is equal to an inch and a half (well, about that) which, on my hand, is about 3 fingers. It sounds to me like your probably at a stretchy 2-3.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 PM

I can't check myself. My baby is pretty low and I'm guessing my cervix is behind her head.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 PM

sit on toilet empty bladder completely...
wipe then wash hands sit back on toilet...I've heard cocking a leg up helps but it might be individual...
if its way back there then (and I am just guessing from what I read you are still posterior...I've dropped and can usually feel my cvx less than an index finger in....no digging for it in other words....a few weeks ago it was defn postierior and hard to reach IMO...

8 might be enough
Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM

I checked myself over the weekend and didn't do it right. You pretty much have to be able to fit your finger in without feeling anything closed at all. That's at least what I got from what my m/w told me. I thought I was 2-4 also, but she said I'm not dilated at all - just soft since she couldn't actually get her finger INSIDE the cervix. I am effaced about 60%, though. I've decided to leave the checking to her. Being dilated doesn't necessarily meaning anything anyhow without other signs of activity - losing mucous plug, regular contractions, water breaking, etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM

I just do not understand how you people can reach your cervix. I try and I try and I must have stumps for fingers.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
I just do not understand how you people can reach your cervix. I try and I try and I must have stumps for fingers.
I have really long "piano" fingers. I could even feel her head above my cervix!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
wipe then wash hands sit back on toilet...I've heard cocking a leg up helps but it might be individual...
if its way back there then (and I am just guessing from what I read you are still posterior...I've dropped and can usually feel my cvx less than an index finger in....no digging for it in other words....a few weeks ago it was defn postierior and hard to reach IMO...
I was leaning forward in a hunched over position maybe thats why it was harder for me to reach... I'm re-reading now and wondering did you mean in a somewhat reclined position? I will try the other way tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jule924 View Post
I have really long "piano" fingers. I could even feel her head above my cervix!
I can feel my baby's head but not my cervix. Its so cool to feel her hard, round, head!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 PM

I think if we really want to know how to DIY vag exam the mamas in UC might know a bit more...also as the vag gets squishy its harder to tell whats what initially...

8 might be enough
Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think if we really want to know how to DIY vag exam the mamas in UC might know a bit more...also as the vag gets squishy its harder to tell whats what initially...
I posted the same thing there too and havent gotten any responses.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 PM
hyz

I don't understand why some people are saying that a fingertip is 2cm. My fingertip certainly isn't that wide--what am I missing? Also, at my first internal exam, my doctor said I was "a fingertip dilated", and I asked what that meant, and she said "slightly less than a centimeter". The next time I went in she said my dilation had increased from a fingertip to 1 centimeter. That makes more sense to me. Of course, I haven't felt any of this myself, because last time I checked I couldn't reach my cervix....

Mom to sweet DD 8/08, and adorable DS 10/20/10
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
wipe then wash hands sit back on toilet...I've heard cocking a leg up helps
that's exactly how I do it...

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well I checked again this morning and I tried to sit in a more relaxed position but I could barely even get my fingers in... I either have really short arms compared to you ladies or my belly is just too big... Anyways even sitting the way I was before (hunched over) I could managed to feel my cervix but could not get deep enough to get in my cervix, however upon removing my hand I found what I believe to be part of my mucus plug on it. It was yellowish in a jelly like form with strings and knots in it... How much of this are you supposed to lose anyways? So sorry if this is way tmi...

Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 AM

CsavesA,
you can replace the plug but jelly like snot looking is defn plug
I think you can loose like a bayscallop or it can fall out in chunks, strings, loose snot....oh the joys of pregnancy...its performance art..

if you think about it....

8 might be enough
Old 07-26-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Performance art... hmmm never thought of it that way. lol Well, so far this morning no change, although I was in bed napping and resting most of yesterday as my "mons" (I believe thats what they called it in the other post) has been so sore it hurts to move... I never put much stock in the whole walk yourself into labor thing, does that actually work/help to make labor begin or progress? I was thinking that if it does I would take ds to knotts tomorrow for some extra one on one time before dd gets here. The thought of all that walking and being in excrutiating pain doesnt seem entirely owrth it if baby wont come down more from it. I would still go for ds but I would def. get a wheelchair to move around in.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
I can't reach mine either. My midwife has to really dig in like up to her elbow to get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyz View Post
I don't understand why some people are saying that a fingertip is 2cm. My fingertip certainly isn't that wide--what am I missing? Also, at my first internal exam, my doctor said I was "a fingertip dilated", and I asked what that meant, and she said "slightly less than a centimeter". The next time I went in she said my dilation had increased from a fingertip to 1 centimeter.
That's what I thought too, that "fingertip" was the beginning of dilation, when you're not quite 1 cm yet. And then you go up from there.

Isn't it roughly 1 finger per cm?

User Tag List