Onset of Pre-E - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bleh. This is my third pregnancy, and my third time having pre-e. I am not in any of the risk categories to have pre-e let alone with all of my pregnancies. So, it just goes to show that the stupid medical studies are not always right. Anyway, my bp is still in the normal range and I am not spilling protien in my urine yet. But, I know my body, and my hands/feet/face swell for several days before I start showing other symptoms such as headaches, protien in my urine, spotty vision, elevated bp etc. I am 35 weeks today and I know I have about 2 weeks before things deteriorate to the point where they will want to induce. I have developed pre-e at 35 weeks with each of them and my previous two were born at 37 weeks. Bleh.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#2 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM

I'm sorry! I bet you hoped to avoid it this time. At least you are going into it knowing what to expect.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#3 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
Bleh. This is my third pregnancy, and my third time having pre-e. I am not in any of the risk categories to have pre-e let alone with all of my pregnancies. So, it just goes to show that the stupid medical studies are not always right. Anyway, my bp is still in the normal range and I am not spilling protien in my urine yet. But, I know my body, and my hands/feet/face swell for several days before I start showing other symptoms such as headaches, protien in my urine, spotty vision, elevated bp etc. I am 35 weeks today and I know I have about 2 weeks before things deteriorate to the point where they will want to induce. I have developed pre-e at 35 weeks with each of them and my previous two were born at 37 weeks. Bleh.
I am sorry you have to go through that....Hopefully you can go into labor on your own before then. When are you due? I am also 35 weeks and am due August 27 or 29 depending on the ultrasound......
#4 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm sorry. ((hugs))

My blood pressure was 140 something over 90 something when the nurse checked it yesterday and I freaked because that's what it was at when I was induced with my first pregnancy. My doctor sent me right over to the hospital. My new doctor redid it in the exam room and it had gone down to the 120s and she said I was fine. No protein in my urine or swelling or anything. Pre-E is very scary!

Wishing you the best in the next couple weeks!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#5 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 04:04 PM

I had pre-e with my first. Hang in there!

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#6 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 04:06 PM

sorry to hear that. I will keep my fingers crossed that maybe your body is just tricking you this time.
#7 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Have you tried upping your protein?

I'm a pre-e sufferer as well and on my third pregnancy. My first we induced at 37w, but looking back I don't think it was necessary. (I was uneducated and basically begging for the induction).

With my second pregnancy, I truly was ill and it got worse, not better, after delivery. The twins were born at 34w5d and spent about 10 days in the NICU. Luckily (can't believe I'm saying this LOL), I was sick enough that they kept me as a patient as well so I didn't have to leave them behind, which made breastfeeding much easier.

So I'm on "alert" for the pre-e symptoms. My blood pressure has been creeping up so I started a high protein diet (100+grams per day) in the past two weeks and it did help it to come down a little bit.

I'm sorry that you're going through this. It really does suck. I'm glad, though, that at least it happens around 37 weeks for you ...
#8 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM

I have had horrendous swelling (all over, the pitting type) and climbing bp (136/85 two days ago) for the past few weeks. No other pre-e symptoms, yet. I am 37 weeks today and my midwife said that we will start natural induction methods next week to avoid full blown pre-e and save my homebirth. I'm 4-5 cms dilated so hopefully it works and I hope you make it to 37 weeks with your LO.

''''

#9 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 PM

LOTS of protein and LOTS of water! That should be your mantra right now.

Best of luck to you!
#10 of 20 Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#11 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM

YES to the protein. Eggs, eggs, eggs. Lots of water. I have been using a natural alternative for lowering my BP that works for some women.

2 tsp of cream of tartar in the juice of half a lemon mixed with 1/2 cup or so of water. Do this 3 days on 2 days off and then repeat if necessary.

I have also been eating lots of cucumbers and watermelon to help with the swelling (natural diuretic).

Good luck to you mama. I struggle with PIH every pregnancy. Take it easy!
#12 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maagpie View Post
YES to the protein. Eggs, eggs, eggs. Lots of water. I have been using a natural alternative for lowering my BP that works for some women.

2 tsp of cream of tartar in the juice of half a lemon mixed with 1/2 cup or so of water. Do this 3 days on 2 days off and then repeat if necessary.

I have also been eating lots of cucumbers and watermelon to help with the swelling (natural diuretic).
This also worked for me. I also ate 2 raw cloves of garlic every day and drank passion flower extract. It all worked, I am sure!
#13 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
I have had horrendous swelling (all over, the pitting type) and climbing bp (136/85 two days ago) for the past few weeks. No other pre-e symptoms, yet. I am 37 weeks today and my midwife said that we will start natural induction methods next week to avoid full blown pre-e and save my homebirth. I'm 4-5 cms dilated so hopefully it works and I hope you make it to 37 weeks with your LO.
Just wanted to mention that not all Pre-e shows up the same way...some women don't really have high BP, but are swelling, and then find out their organs are already failing. Or their BP will be a little high, but they're not really swelling and, again, they'll find out they're already pretty advanced.

And I've heard of far too many people who followed the Brewer diet to a T and still had very serious pre-e (one almost died). Plus, no one has been able to reproduce Brewer's results (in studies)...so I just can't put much stock in the whole protein thing.

I am not saying all this to scare anyone I just wanted to add what I know about Pre-e.

Sending good vibes that all goes, and stays, well :
#14 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM

My blood pressure was up the first half of my pregnancy...within a week of starting the brewer diet it was within normal range and stayed there. Fill up on that protein, it cant hurt!
#15 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poogles0213 View Post
Just wanted to mention that not all Pre-e shows up the same way...some women don't really have high BP, but are swelling, and then find out their organs are already failing. Or their BP will be a little high, but they're not really swelling and, again, they'll find out they're already pretty advanced.
I know Pre-e can be tricky! I'm not spilling protein according to the 24-hour test and the dipsticks and my blood tests were fine, so we are sure it is not affecting my organs.

''''

#16 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have loosely been following the Brewer Diet this pregnancy to try to avoid this. But, it just seems to be the way my body reacts at the end! My swelling has gone down a bit over the past 12 hours, so just maybe I will make it a bit longer!

Oh, and Dana - don't you love the 24 hour test?! Nothing like carrying around a big jug with you everywhere you go! I did 4 24 hour tests during my last pregnancy. We spent the day on the farm doing a haywagon ride, and I still had to collect. Try hiding that in a backpack!

#17 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. At least you know what to expect having gone through it before.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#18 of 20 Old 07-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have loosely been following the Brewer Diet this pregnancy to try to avoid this. But, it just seems to be the way my body reacts at the end! My swelling has gone down a bit over the past 12 hours, so just maybe I will make it a bit longer!

Oh, and Dana - don't you love the 24 hour test?! Nothing like carrying around a big jug with you everywhere you go! I did 4 24 hour tests during my last pregnancy. We spent the day on the farm doing a haywagon ride, and I still had to collect. Try hiding that in a backpack!
I just finished the 24 hour test, and I was afraid to leave my house! Dang, I can't believe you went on a hay ride!

I'm glad to see this thread. I'm a little nervous about what's going on with me, as follows: over the past 3 weeks I have developed horrible swelling. I've started to get lots of visual changes (little black spots I keep thinking are flies flying past me, bright u-shaped tinsel-like things floating past). Have started to get a few bad headaches here and there. I always have incredibly low b/p, so no one has really been concerned. Last week my MW ordered blood tests that came back fine. 2 days ago the swelling was up, and a close scrutinization of my b/p indicated that, although still within normal range, it's gone steadily up over the last few months. No one really clued into that, since at a casual glance the reading is not abnormal. (I think I'm now at 130/78 or something like that). 2 days ago my MW ordered more bloodwork plus the 24 hour urine thing.

The bloodwork again came back normal, but the urine showed elevated protein, although just slightly elevated. (I think the cut-off is 300 and I was at 370 or something, as compared to 4000 with full blown preeclampsia.)

So, tomorrow I'm supposed to go to the ER for a non-stress and more bloodwork, urine and BP check. I'll then do this every other day and they will monitor me closely. I'll be 36 weeks Sunday.

I'd love to hear more experiences of mamas who came down with p/e close to the end of their pregnancies. I am not really sure what to expect. On one hand, this scares me and I want to just go ahead and have this baby. I'm really freaked out by the visual changes most of all. On the other hand, I really trust my MW. It seems she is taking a conservative watch & wait approach, and that although something is brewing, it has not yet passed into the danger zone. Aargh; this pregnancy has been so difficult from start to finish, and this is really the last thing I need in the home stretch!

As for the OP - I sincerely did not mean to hi-jack your thread. How scary to have gone through this so many times! I hope both you and your baby are healthy and deliver with no complications. Hang in there . . ..

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
#19 of 20 Old 07-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Hang in there mama! I hope you are able to head this off. Just a few weeks left!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#20 of 20 Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyRoo View Post
As for the OP - I sincerely did not mean to hi-jack your thread. How scary to have gone through this so many times! I hope both you and your baby are healthy and deliver with no complications. Hang in there . . ..
I am glad you have someone to comiserate with! If I have any advice, it is to stay in tune with your body as well as your spirit. And, be your own best advocate. It can be scary, but you can still have a healthy, natural pregnancy and delivery.

Ob's and most mw's get really freaked out when pre-e presents itself because, if it goes unmonitored, it can get out of control and scary. So, they start talking about induction, specifically pitocin. I was not given natural induction options prior to having pitocin pushed on me with my first two pregnancies. Pitocin is a synthetic that makes your contractions and labor in general very hard on your body, and it makes your bp skyrocket during labor (and higher risk for emergency c-section).

So, bring paper and pencil to your appointments, keep track of your own numbers, and have an early conversation with your mw about her views of pre-e natural inductions versus pitocin inductions.

And, if you do have to have pitocin during or after delivery...your body is already retaining a lot of fluid and pitocin makes you retain even more. So, don't be alarmed if you have a lot of continued swelling for up to a week after delivery.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page