What is best food to eat during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
Wondering what to eat during labor. I'll be staying at home as long as possible but also need ideas what to take to hospital.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife listed easy snack things like bread, peanut butter, cheese, fruit. I am taking apples, cheese, triscuits, and trail mix.

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM

I loved frozen fruit, like grapes or cherries that I could pop into my mouth and gave me more energy than plain ice.

I should have eaten more as I had a really long labor and got really exausted but I just couldn't make myself eat. This time I plan on having energy sports type drinks to hydrate and keep me going.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM

I've packed granola bars, raisins, beef jerky and peanut butter crackers.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM

Not McDonalds lol. Seriously, no joke, last time I went into labor we had to deliver at the hospital and they suggested we go eat McDonalds before checking in

Fruit and granola sound good mmmmm.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 PM

Last time I packed energy muffins, granola bars/protein bars, and juice, water, gatorade. I got to the hospital in active labour, so I didn't feel like eating, but the liquids were lovely! DH appreciated the high energy snacks, as we'd been up for a couple of days at that point.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 07-27-2008, 04:17 PM

Id say nothing, my last labor was 3 only hours of insane intensity and I ended up projective vomiting all the gatoraid that I drank up all over the carpet while I was pushing...

I think generally, unless you are having a marathon labor, you might have a light snack when it begins and leave your stomach empty for the rest of it. Your body needs concentrate energy on getting the baby out, not on digesting and processing food. Make sure to stay well hydrated though.

...now for afterwards, you could have given me a bag of cardboard and I would have wolfed it down. Dh made me tortellini though, and a friend brought me an oreo McFlurry. Mmmmmm.... have something hearty and filling ready for re-heating.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Whatever you can choke down to keep your energy up.

With my son, my midwife kept telling me I had to eat something (it was a VERY long labor), and I just sooooooo did not want anything. I think I ended up drinking chicken broth and having those cheese peanut butter crackers... and that was hard for me.

After he was born, they made me a big plate of scrambled eggs, and those were the best scrambled eggs in the history of earth, I swear! (not because they were anything special, but because I just hadn't really eaten in SO LONG)

These sound lovely...
http://www.preciouspassage.com/laborade.htm
Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochanyk View Post
Not McDonalds lol. Seriously, no joke, last time I went into labor we had to deliver at the hospital and they suggested we go eat McDonalds before checking in
: That's what I asked for when I was in labor last time.

I plan to eat more healthily as I labor mostly at home this time. I like the idea of frozen fruit!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 PM

I'm bringing granola bars and luna bars (protein bars).
I will totally be eating french fries after he's delivered though - it's a tradition that we started with our first
Old 07-27-2008, 07:02 PM

I read that complex carbs like pasta, rice, etc are good because they give you sustained energy...
Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Miso soup in a cup with a straw worked well for me with my first labour.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 PM

No way did I feel like eating during my first labor. I think even my early prelabor started with me throwing up in the sink. DP still complains about that--

But afterwards....STARVING> my best friend brought me mango juice with a straw when I was still moments after delivery and I think I was thinking how INCREDIBLY good that was and how she was the BEST FRIEND ever at that moment!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 AM

I ate watermelon...and then later a peanutbutter on ezechiel bread w/ honey sandwich. Later, my mom brought shakes for the whole of us. They brought me a very small slice of pizza and I was like ok...where is the rest of the pie...I just gave birth IAM HUNGRY!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 AM

Honey straws are good for energy when you get to the point in labor where you have no more appetite but need a boost. You could do honey on a spoon at home but the straws are really nice for the hospital. They come in different flavors too. Don't forget to bring something to cut them open though. Hey....that's what those episiotomy scissors are for!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 AM

I am planning to eat lots of fruit, I want thai young coconuts (yummmm!), probably some nuts and smoothies

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 AM

Yup, I remember stopping at KFC on the way to the hospital with #2 knowing I wouldn't get anything to eat while there, and that worked well for me
Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM

We had watermelon with dinner last night, and that seemed like such a great labor food to me. I'm planning on getting some more today! I agree with pp's on the easy high energy foods like cheese/peanut butter and crackers and protein bars.
And lots of water
Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 AM

I had cheese, some lunchmeat and juice when my contractions had just begun. Then I couldn't eat anything for the rest of the 18 hours. I tried a bite of a sandwich many hours into it, but it threatenedd to return quite forcefully, so I stopped. I just sipped recharge and ice water the whole time. Then when I was done, I ate a sandwich, some chips, 2 advil and a HUGE slice of birthday cake for DD and my husband(whose birthday is the day after my daughters!).

I like the recipes in the laborade page, thanks fyoosh!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 AM

I ate regularly until heavy labor started and then I wasn't interested in eating.

Miso is something my midwife recommends. Easy to digest and has lots of protein and will help keep you hydrated.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

User Tag List