Accepting Social Invitations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that we are getting closer to our due dates, are you accepting social invitations?

For example, last week I got an invite to a baby shower that is to be held on 8/8. It's for one of my oldest friends, who is going to be visitng her mom that lives near me & I usually only see once a year. I'd really love to go, but feel so up in the air. I told them that I'd have to play it by ear. If I have the baby this week, she'd be old enough for me to feel comfortable going. If I am still pg by then, I could go but will be so uncomfortable driving there (1 hr away) plus I am at the end of my "decent" looking maternity clothes & I refuse to buy anything else. I'm not sure I want to show up looking like a shlump!

DH also got invited to a day of golf on this Thursday with a client he does a lot of work for. He'd really like to go, but I'm not sure I want him out of town for the day (also an hour away.)

I hate keeping us tied down to the house or our town! How far are you or your spouses venturing from home?

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM

We are both staying within one hour of our hospital (which is 5 minutes from our house). I am only accepting social invitations if I feel up to it
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM

I am staying within an hour of home/hospital.

I will gladly accept social invites, but also remind the people that i might cancel at the last minute. On the 16th, we have both a Golden Anniversary party for my husband's Aunt and Uncle and a 5 yr cancer free anniversary party for our former neighbor. That's also the night I predict to go into labor.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

i do tenatively accept invitations.

i tell the person that it's near my due date, that i want to come (assuming that's what i want) but will just have to see what happens.

i'm willing to come pregnant, looking "schlumpy" if it's a good friend and/or comfortable setting for me.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM

I'll accept some social invitations but with the caveat that I might not feel like attending. Right now the heat is a bigger deal to me (it's about 95 degrees with a lot of humidity) than pregnancy itself, which isn't helping me deal with the heat.

My mom, her sister, my cousin, and I go every year to a breast cancer benefit dinner. This will be our fifth year going. I have agreed to go to it. It's on August 23 so I made sure that everyone knows that I'll be bringing a nursing baby (gosh, I hope. I can't stay pregnant another month!)

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM

I just tell people honestly that I will be there if I can, but it all depends on when baby decides to arrive.

My best friend from high school is having a baby shower on 8/16, and I'm due the 21st. I told her I'd be there if I could, and if I wasn't there it was because I was in the hospital having the baby

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Old 07-29-2008, 07:06 PM

I go, but only with the assumption that I'm still pregnant. So I would probably decline the baby shower, since I wouldn't go pregnant. Maybe with the caveat that if the baby comes in the next couple days you'd love to try to make it, if you two are close enough for that sort of informality? I would let DH go to golf, but I have long enough labors with enough notice that an hour away would be fine assuming good cell phone service. I probably wouldn't if I was a fast birther (we seem to have a lot of those in our DDC!).

Generally I try to accept social invites, though. Otherwise the time passes too slowly!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM

I too are staying within an hour of the hospital. I stopped travelling as of May. Just to be on the safe side I would say decline and see if she can meet you halfway somewhere.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 PM

My answer is pretty much no... Not because I'm worried about distance or anything, I just don't feel like committing to a single thing right now!

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempmama View Post
I go, but only with the assumption that I'm still pregnant. So I would probably decline the baby shower, since I wouldn't go pregnant. Maybe with the caveat that if the baby comes in the next couple days you'd love to try to make it, if you two are close enough for that sort of informality? I would let DH go to golf, but I have long enough labors with enough notice that an hour away would be fine assuming good cell phone service. I probably wouldn't if I was a fast birther (we seem to have a lot of those in our DDC!).

Generally I try to accept social invites, though. Otherwise the time passes too slowly!
Yeah, I talked to her & she knows I am due anytime. I asked if she'd be able to pop in to see me if I have the baby that week & she might. She's only in town for 5 days (lives in NJ and I live in KS) and her mom tends to really overbook her visits.

My concern is that on Friday I was 3 cm, 50% effaced. With my last birth, I went into labor at 37 wks, got to the hospital at 3-4 cms & delivered in 1 1/2 hrs. So, yeah, I could potentially have a very fast labor again. If Dh is out golfing, I have to catch him on his cell, he'd have to get from where ever he's at on the course back to his clients house & our car and drive the hour or so home. Meanwhile, that's our only vehicle and I would be home with 2 young kids and no family in town.

I need a crystal birthing ball......

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM

I am. It keeps me busy. I just tell people I'm due soon so I might have to cancel last minute.

As far as things like golf as long as you don't have to pay in advance it seems okay. You don't want to loose money it!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM

I'm accepting (at this point up to 38 weeks), but always saying that if baby comes we won't be there. People understand in my experience. As far as how far we'll travel - we're planning on going an hour away next weekend overnight. That will be it, though. I want to stay closer to home after that. And dh is not allowed to leave me (and I wouldn't let him get his vasectomy this Friday. I really would prefer him to wait until after at this point.)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM

I go anywhere I want to keep myself distracted and busy.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM

I am going places, but have to really be okay with saying that I changed my mind at the last minute too. Twins takes a lot out of you.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 PM

I'm accepting with an added "assuming the baby lets me. My apologies in advance if we have to miss it."
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Oh, and I'm really clingy with my dh. I don't want him in the next room, let alone an hour away.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 AM

I'm saying "maybe" to everything at this point. Not only because I think the kiddo might decide to make his/her grand entrance, but also because I'm generally too pooped to do much except for work and the residual items on the "to do" list. When I do go to social functions, I find that I'm not staying very long. It's definitely been good to see folks, though.

- nk
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM

One of our close college friends is getting married this weekend. We had RSVP'd back in May, but we've decided we're not going. First, it's five hours away. I'm not comfortable going anyplace that isn't more than 2 hours away from the birth center. Second, it's being held in an un-air-conditioned church during the middle of the day, and the reception is at their parents' house. Not good for a pregnant woman who hates any temp above 70 degrees right now. Third, we just have too much to do around here to get this place cleaned up and ready for a baby.

If the wedding were an hour away and it wasn't so darn hot, we'd go in a heartbeat, though. As for any other social invites - we've cleared out the rest of the month just so that we can relax and get stuff done. But if something omes up and we're up for it, we'll go...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM

yep I accepted! We were out of the house 1hr from home when I went into spontainous labor, 5mins apart lasting 1min with no warning! We got home 2hrs before she was born. It all worked out since everything at home was super organized, we had everything set up when the MW arrived even the pool! She was very impressed and thankful since she needed it all right there and ready since I hemorrhaged bad after birth. Her assistant had just arrived when I was delivering the placenta and the bleeding began. If the house had been a mess and the supplies in the other room it just would have added to the stress at that point.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 PM

I've been saying yes to a lot of things/making plans for things, but always with the understanding that (a) I could go into labour at any point and (b) I can cancel last minute based on energy levels
We're venturing no more than an hour from home at this point.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)

User Tag List