Had u/s and it said my baby was really small and now my doc wants a section. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a u/s to check everything since i'm having a vba2c. Well the baby measured really small. I'm 37 weeks and he is 4.5 pounds. So of course he's concerned and is totally pushing a section. I had a nst and that was good. My baby is moving a lot and I really feel that everything is fine. Plus I have small babies. My other two were born at 38 weeks and weighed 6 pounds. Anyways just wondering of anyone has any advise. I dont want a section.

xoxoxox

#2 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 PM

I haven't been in your situation, but I did want to share an experience that I had with u/s weight guesses. I was told definitively that my ds would weigh the same as my daughter had weighed at birth. She had weighed 7 lbs 1 oz.

He was born--on time--weighing 8 lbs 14 oz.

*I* would be very loathe to plan a c-section based on nothing other than an u/s weight measurement, but that's me (and it's easy for me to say since I don't have an OB demanding something that I don't want). Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#3 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM

could you do another u/s somewhere else? like another opinion?

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#4 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM

I am not in your ddc but wanted to respond. A c-section based on size alone doesn't seem like a good idea.
U/S can be off by a lot! For me, I was told my first two babies were going to be "at least 9 lbs." They were 7-11 and 7-14. With my third I was told she was "maybe 5 lbs if that" and that I should be prepared that the baby would have to stay in hospital til she gained weight. She was 7-3. No one gave me a guesstimate on my son. With my 5th baby the u/s tech said she was 7-10 - 3 days later she was born 8lbs 12oz!!
I would not consent to a c-section based on size prediction only.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#5 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 PM

My tiny baby turned out to be 6lbs 11 oz. Not huge, but way bigger than the ultrasound said.

And why on earth would they section for that?
#6 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
And why on earth would they section for that?

That is what I was thinking. Baby should just stay put until he is ready to come out. Fwiw, my midwife was really worried about the size of my babe, I ended up having an u/s. The dr. was very relaxed about it all, saying I will not be having a large babe, but everything seemed just fine. There was no growth restriction. If your OB thinks there is a growth restriction, he would have given that as a reason for a section. Go with your feelings, your intuition. Sounds like everything is fine. Good luck!

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#7 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 PM

Hmmm, I see what everyone is saying about size, could it be more about having 2 previous cesareans that they would "prefer" you to have another cesarean? Is your doctor supportive of your birth plan, having a VBA2C?

It's just my thought that determining size is such a guessing game and that wouldn't be the only reason they would want you to have cesarean...
#8 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandenith View Post
could you do another u/s somewhere else? like another opinion?
to the above. I have heard too many time how off the ultrasound can be. I would be very, very hesitant (and suspicious) to have a c/s based just on that alone especially if you are feeling everything is fine AND the fact that you do have small babies.

I remember our ped. freaking when our dd1 was one and thinking she was too small.....until I gave him a "are you nuts?" look and told him to take a good, long look at me and my husband (we are both small people). Doctors are too fast to put everyone in the same boat and forget that genetics can play a role in how big your unborn baby will be, and how your child will be on the growth chart.

Seriously, I would refuse and get a second opinion/ultrasound. From a ob who is completely unconnected to yours (not one recommended by him kwim?).....and remind them of your other babies weights.
#9 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 PM

Wait, he thinks your baby is small so he wants to deliver EARLY (so-called electives are usually a week or so early, right?) by surgery..?

WTF - how will that help? Take him out before he's cooked and throw risks of lung infections etc. in for fun? What on earth is his reasoning for a section?! Or does he mean bubs has IUGR and needs to come out now, today? Because that, from the other things you said, sounds unlikely.

A woman i "met" on another board was sectioned at 37 weeks as "the safest way" to birth her predicted 10lb+ whopper. He was 5lbs 4oz and spent 2 weeks in NICU. U/S technicians are not god, and cannot KNOW how big baby is. And IUGR is usually dx after several scans which show no change in measurements, not after one.
#10 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM

My "going to be at least 11 lbs baby" was 8 lbs. I consented to a section because of fear. Then I VBACed an 11 lb baby with no problems. "na-na-na-boo-boo" doc!

Sorry to hijack..... It doesn't sound like a good enough reason for an early delivery by section to me. I agree with previous posters. Is your doctor truly on board for a VBA2C? Or has he/she been slyly waiting for that perfect time to slip doubt into your mind? Is it wise to section a too small baby? Pick a green apple?

Ask lots of questions, listen to doc with an open mind, consider benefits vs. risks, consider any alternatives, go with your gut!
#11 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 PM

Are they saying he's not getting enough from the placenta or something? What is the reasoning other than that they think he is small? Has all of your blood work, etc come back ok? They are usually way off on sizes. With my firstborn they told me he was going to be a huge baby and were worried etc. and he ended up coming in at just over 8 lbs, not 10 like they thought. Second baby same thing and baby was born at again just over 8 lbs. The u/s aren't always accurate, but if there is another valid reason to think there is something wrong that's different... any other info?

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#12 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Your OB sounds like a nutjob to me.

They want to section at 37 weeks because the babe is "too small"? Umm... wouldn't it make sense to let the babe cook (and, uh... GROW) longer?? Durrrr.

The only thing I could think of that would be a problem would be if your placenta was deteriorating, and the babe was LOSING weight over time. That seems to happen more with postdates rather than at this point, though.

Weight estimations, as you have seen from previous posters, are horrendously inaccurate a lot of the time.
#13 of 33 Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

He never said anything about iugr. I have always measured a little on the small size with the tape measure thingy. BUT my baby has always grown according to it. He didnt say much exept for that sometimes they are better on the outside. I didnt ask questions, because I know my baby is fine. He just said we can deliver now if I want or wait it out and do the NST. So I go back friday for that and another u/s. But I will not deliver my baby early! I'm gonna call and make an apt. for a 2nd opinion tomorrow. As far as switching docs I cant....Unless I want a csection! He is the ONLY doctor who would "let me vabc". Literally!

xoxoxox

#14 of 33 Old 07-30-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
He never said anything about iugr. I have always measured a little on the small size with the tape measure thingy. BUT my baby has always grown according to it. He didnt say much exept for that sometimes they are better on the outside. I didnt ask questions, because I know my baby is fine. He just said we can deliver now if I want or wait it out and do the NST. So I go back friday for that and another u/s. But I will not deliver my baby early! I'm gonna call and make an apt. for a 2nd opinion tomorrow. As far as switching docs I cant....Unless I want a csection! He is the ONLY doctor who would "let me vabc". Literally!
I hope that you have the birth you are wanting!
#15 of 33 Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 AM

I wouldn't do a c-section based only on weight estimate. u/s are not accurate for determining weight anyway.

I was told that dd would be over 8lbs and she was 6lbs 13oz. It can go the other way too.

Are you 100% sure about your dates as well? Has your fundus been on target and growing at a steady rate?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#16 of 33 Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 AM

have the measurements re-checked, even a tad off can make a huge weight difference.

My son was about that weight on his 37 week scan, he ended up 6lbs 3 a few weeks later.
#17 of 33 Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM

Oh mama, that's not a reason for a c/s I'm also a VBA2C and my not so little man is weighing in at 6lbs 7ozs at almost 36 weeks. I don't put much stock into the u/s at all - it's a machine and they have flaws. My mw is okay with it, too, she said she's thought he was a big boy, but she's seen small women birth 10lb babies. My 1st who was supposed to be a 10lb baby was a whopping 8lbs 12ozs - almost 9, but not the 10 they were so sure of. And I hate to say it like this, but if the baby is a little small, I would think that helps your chances of VBAC and not hurt them.

I'm so sorry you're going through this so close to the end, doctors are so frightened of VBACs, it's just unfair. Regardless, I wish you a beautiful birth on your terms

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#18 of 33 Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyoosh View Post
Your OB sounds like a nutjob to me.

They want to section at 37 weeks because the babe is "too small"? Umm... wouldn't it make sense to let the babe cook (and, uh... GROW) longer?? Durrrr.
Not if the small size was due to the baby not getting nourished inside the womb for some reason. If the placenta is not doing it's job adequately, you don't want to just leave the babe in there starving.

That said, US weight estimates are notoriously off... get more than one opinion from more than one sonographer prior to making a decision for sure.

Good luck to you OP.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#19 of 33 Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnassistedMomma View Post
Not if the small size was due to the baby not getting nourished inside the womb for some reason. If the placenta is not doing it's job adequately, you don't want to just leave the babe in there starving.
That is what I said in the next paragraph
#20 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 AM

Another person chiming in to say u/s to predict weight are notorious for being way off as you get further along in your pregnancy.

I too was told my DD would be close to 9 lbs at my 38 week u/s. (No, wasn't high risk but my OB was giving me a u/s at every visit and I was too ignorant/trusting at the time to realize how unnecessary that was)

Well...DD was 7 lbs 3 oz at birth.
#21 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 AM

how is having a c/s going to help your "very small" baby though. i dont get that. plus tehy usually like to schedule those BEFORE you go into labor.

leave him alone, let him cook, even if he's small, he's get BIGGER by staying inside.

and u/s's are like heroin to dr's..i think they are addicted to thsoe things.
#22 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM

To be honest, I've mostly heard stories of u/s predicting larger babies and they end up being 1lb+ smaller than predicted, although as everyone else has mentioned, an u/s is just not reliable when it comes to weight, either way.

It sounds like your doc may be concerned about IUGR? Or maybe something is going on with the cord (2 vessel, etc)? In which case it would absolutely make sense to get babe out. Have you gotten any more info from your doc yet?

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#23 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM

i just had an ultrasound because i am going on vacation and i am 37 weeks. the tech told me they were accurate to about 1 pound in either direction. so if you think about the baby is probably right on track to be 6-7 lbs. i would not worry and certainly i have never heard of having a small baby as a reason for a section. now my baby they said weighed 7lbs. 1 oz and if i go for 5 more weeks well she could be downright huge, but not one person suggested a section even though i am trying for a vba3c . stick with your gut instinct, does your baby feel really tiny, or does it feel about the size of your other 2? listen to your body and you will know what is right!
#24 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 PM

but they arent accurate +- 1 lb. there are many women here who have had estimates that are way greater in difference than that.
#25 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 09:57 PM

i have to say this is the first i have heard of a c section for a small baby usually doctors want c section for a large baby not small

if it was me i would say noo thank u and let my baby grow some more

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#26 of 33 Old 07-31-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

He never said anything about iugr. Everything was perfect until the ultrasound! Rarrrrrrr!

I did measure small with the tape measure thingy, BUT my other two boys were born at 38 weeks very healthy but small. 5 pounds and 6 pounds. Small babies run in the family. My mom and her sister all have full term 6 pounders. And my doctor knows this.

My baby is fine. I know this. My mom and doula are going with me to my apt. tomorrow. So we have 3 anti section mamas to stand strong to my doctor. Not where the doctor scares the mama to be to get a section.

xoxoxox

#27 of 33 Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 AM

well good luck and come back tomorrow for an update!!!!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#28 of 33 Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
He is the ONLY doctor who would "let me vabc". Literally!
Do you have any midwives in your area?
#29 of 33 Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 AM

??If it's IUGR, they should be talking about getting that baby out NOW. If it's not IUGR, your doctor is being clueless and you need to straighten him out.

"Is there a medical condition which would cause a vaginal birth to be traumatic to my baby?"
"Then you need to stop bringing up c-sections."
#30 of 33 Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 AM

Sending you good and happy waves for today. I hope the appointment goes well

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page