No, really, it's perfectly normal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As you know ds was born July 25th. There have been a few things that I wonder "What is this? Is he sick? Do I have to take him to emergency?" So I thought we could have a thread about Things that are perfectly normal, but might freak you out if you don't know it's normal.
OK, here's mine:
On day 3 of life Nathaniel hadn't had a bm since day 1 and then I noticed a red spot in his diaper where his pee is. I eventually look it up online and it's perfectly normal. This is not blood, it is some newborn chemical reaction to first making pee. And newborns don't always poop right away (after meconium passes of course). Sometimes it can take days.
Maybe this will help a new momma, or even a not-so-new momma like me.
If you have a story about your pregnancy, the birth or the baby where later you think "okay, I almost freaked out over nothing experience," share it here and save another momma a moment of fright.

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM

great idea!! We need to be sure to keep this thread at the top.
#3 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Here's mine from back when my son was born...

I had read that post-partum clotting you may have could be "large". Of course, they didn't give any frame of reference as to HOW large, so I had it in my mind they would be "period" large... like the size of a quarter or whatnot. I was wrong The day after he was born, I was using the toilet, and I got up to feel something sliding out of me. It freaked me out when I looked down and thought my uterus fell out! The clot was about the size of my fist or so. I called the midwife, and she said, "oh yeah, they can be that big. As long as you don't pass a lot of big ones, it is fine".

So, if you pass a large clot, your uterus did NOT fall out (hopefully)
#4 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM

that's brick dust/uric acid can be a sign of dehydration in a new born.
DS3 had it in conjunction with severe later developing jaundice...
first pee? don't they pee in the womb?

Quote:
A red or pink "brick dust" appearance on the diaper suggests your baby is not getting enough milk. "Brick dust" on the diaper results when uric acid crystals form in concentrated urine. It is not an uncommon occurrence among breastfed infants during the first day or two, when the quantity of colostrum the baby drinks is low. Once your milk starts increasing in abundance, however, a breastfed baby should be able to consume sufficient volume of milk to produce clear urine.

WHEN TO SEEK HELP: The presence of uric acid crystals in a baby's urine after the fourth or fifth day raises the suspicion of inadequate milk intake. ....If your breastfed baby has a "brick dust" appearance in the diaper after your milk has come in, contact her physician and ask to have her weighed to determine whether she is getting enough to eat. You also should notify your baby's doctor if your infant has fewer than six wet diapers each day after the fourth or fifth day, or if her urine is dark yellow or scant in quantity.

8 might be enough
#5 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM

This thread rocks.
#6 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM

My funniest that's normal was I was babysitting my friend's days old formula fed baby (SINGLE DAD we were at a public restroom - he was in court that day getting custody (yeah no chance of breastfeeding if you can read between those lines)

The baby poo'd DARK PURPLE...I SH*T you not..
Women around me trying to be helpful were also shocked..
Some woman suggested it had something to do with meconium/iron in formula.
And asked me what type of formula...how was I supposed to know....

other that's normal are those infant acne which really look like please squeeze me spots not zits...

8 might be enough
#7 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM

Great idea! Keep them coming for us newbies!

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#8 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM

They sleep all the time. Maybe 20-22 hours a day or at least it seems like it.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#9 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 PM

some babies want to nurse every 2 hours, it's normal. and yes, you are producing enough milk, they are just beautiful piggies

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#10 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Not in the DDC, but...

Sometimes babies nurse FOR 2 hours. And yes, you're making enough milk.

Oh, and when the milk comes in, expect a MESS! My milk came in on my way from bed to bathroom, and I DRENCHED my gown and made a puddle on the floor. Good thing I had already planned a shower!
#11 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM

You will leak immensely after a shower - have a towel ready & pads for your bra

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#12 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Everyone knows boys and girls both can squirt you with urine if you aren't careful, but my husband and I did not expect our son to shoot poop at us. When he was just a few days old and started getting those really runny breastfeeding poopies, we changed his diaper a little too quickly and he shot a stream of liquid yellow poo about 6 feet across the bed and carpet.

So, don't get all excited and change the diaper right after you hear the pooping sound (and you WILL hear it with a breastfed baby!)...give it at least a minute to make sure they are all done.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#13 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 PM

milk let down - boy can it spray a few feet....

8 might be enough
#14 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Maybe it was just me, but the first few letdowns were a bit uncomfortable, borderline painful... anyone else have this?

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#15 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
Everyone knows boys and girls both can squirt you with urine if you aren't careful, but my husband and I did not expect our son to shoot poop at us. When he was just a few days old and started getting those really runny breastfeeding poopies, we changed his diaper a little too quickly and he shot a stream of liquid yellow poo about 6 feet across the bed and carpet.

So, don't get all excited and change the diaper right after you hear the pooping sound (and you WILL hear it with a breastfed baby!)...give it at least a minute to make sure they are all done.

omg...
i am so not prepared.

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#16 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM

expect severe engorgement! get hot showers and massage breasts, also put baby to breastfeed as much as you can to help with engorgement.

yeah, I know those milk squirts you actually give baby a facial with it if the baby accidentally pops the nipple out of his mouth

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#17 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 PM

And let's not forget that 2 hours is normal. Some babies want to nurse every half hour to hour too. That does not mean they aren't getting enough to eat. They have tiny, tiny stomachs and breastmilk takes virtually no time to digest.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#18 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM

or some like my almost eleven pounder could drain a breast in 5 minutes...

8 might be enough
#19 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Yes this! We had the same experience. Also yes to the milk shooting across the room. Crazy what our bodies can do!

Even if you're doing everything right with BFing, it will/might be be a little painful at first. In my reading/prep, I only found one little section in Bestfeeding that described that your nipple needs to stretch to the top of your baby's throat. I thought I was doing something wrong (despite MWs checking me, etc.) that I somehow had it "wrong". Turns out I just had shortish nipples.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#20 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Also...let down while dtd when you O (at least it happened to me). So don't even take your bra off for IT for a while.

joy.gif
#21 of 31 Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredyth0315 View Post
Maybe it was just me, but the first few letdowns were a bit uncomfortable, borderline painful... anyone else have this?
I didn't feel my letdown until about 6 weeks after giving birth. Then I could really feel it, kind of a stabbing sensation from your armpits all the way to your nipple...hard to explain but you definetely feel it.

joy.gif
#22 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 AM

Same thing for me, with the letdown, kind of the prickly feeling, not necessarily a good feeling, but then you know the milk is coming out!
#23 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 AM

I think PP bleeding was the scariest thing for me too- first time was wicked awful- 2nd time was like nothing. Also prolapse of pelvic organs- it's something that no one talks about it seems but it's pretty normal PP. If you can see/feel your cervix or any strange bulge call your doc or MW but don't lose your mind or sleep over it (I was told a lot of bull about this and really wish it was something more readily discussed with women before delivery! I really thought my uterus WAS falling out and that I could never have kids and one OB even told me I may need a hysteo : serious misinformation).
#24 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 AM

I had a c-section with DD, and had no idea about the terrible swelling and super painful gas I would have afterward. Both, totally normal for a c-section - but awful!!
#25 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 03:02 AM

just wanted to add that it's perfectly normal to feel massive contractions when nursing your baby. I didn't feel it for my firstborn, but my cousin warned me that 2nd borns are different. Oh my lord if I hadn't known better I would have thought I was in labor all over again.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#26 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 AM

Not in your ddc, but I was terrified on day five of dd's life when the meconium finally started coming. I expected one big tarry poop, not five in a row after each feed. I thought she was dying. By the time the midwife got there I was almost hysterical.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#27 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foogoomomma View Post
just wanted to add that it's perfectly normal to feel massive contractions when nursing your baby. I didn't feel it for my firstborn, but my cousin warned me that 2nd borns are different. Oh my lord if I hadn't known better I would have thought I was in labor all over again.
I felt them with my first-does that mean they will be super-brutal with the second? Yikes!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#28 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 AM

Baby oil on baby's bum helps at diaper changes so the meconium doesn't stick. Then you aren't scrubbing baby's bum so hard to get it off next change.

Both breast let down even though you are only using one (I didn't know this the first time). I keep a burp cloth to soak up the milk from the unused breast.

My let down is a prickly feeling but I also feel nauseous for a moment during let down. My midwife says this is normal for some women. Oh, and yes, let down after orgasm has gotten my husband's chest wet LOTS of times

Baby girls can have a few drops of blood from the vagina in their diapers as a result of mama's hormones still circulating in their bloodstream right after birth. Boys scrotum will be swollen for the same reason. Both sexes may have drops of "witches milk" from the breasts.

Vernix is like baby cold cream. Just rub it in to baby's skin. Don't let anybody try to wash it off, it's not dirty. It is in all of the little creases and will re-absorbe without nurses trying to painfully scrub it out.

Some babies want to nurse every hour. Breastmilk is digested so easily and a one day old baby's tummy is the size of a marble. But, babies want to nurse for lots of reasons other than hunger too. It can be frustrating but baby just loves mama and wants to be close, or is cold, or scared, or frustrated, or lonely, etc.
#29 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Both breast let down even though you are only using one (I didn't know this the first time). I keep a burp cloth to soak up the milk from the unused breast.
I found this out the hard way -- with no change of clothes on hand -- when the babies were in the NICU!

That was going to be the "one thing I wish I'd known."

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#30 of 31 Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maagpie View Post
And it's also normal not to leak and it doesn't mean you don't have milk or anything scary like that. My mom says she never leaked when breastfeeding and I nursed to age 3.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page