Anyone cooking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trying to get some meals done to pop in the freezer. It is blazing hot here, but I figured I would be less likely to want to cook in a week or so. Pretty certain baby won't be much longer. What is everyone cooking?
I am going to make chicken enchaladas, spaghetti pie, spanocopita, enchalada stack, greek meatloaf and some spinach pasta thing. Better get moving!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 PM

I have no premeals done. I actually just cooked in my apartment for the first time anyway yesterday. Thankfully my parents and other family are nearby and have offered to cook for me us while I'm unable to.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 PM

I'm not cooking for regular meals, hardly. I don't ever feel like cooking in the third trimester, well sometimes I like to bake.

We also don't have a freezer so I won't be preparing meals in advance. I do need to come up with a list of easy meal ideas for after birth, things dh can make easily, and then go shopping for the ingredients.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 PM

I'm baking some, but the only time I actually cook is for the moms in my playgroup who are having babies. Thankfully they'll be doing the same for me
Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 PM

no cooking in advance for us, my mom will

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM

My dh does most of the cooking even when I'm not pregnant. He doesn't mind it and by the time supper comes around I'm exhausted and it gives me a chance to relax.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM

I'm not... I have done lots of advance grocery shopping though.

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM

I've been baking but not really doing a lot of food beforehand. I'll stock the fridge so the man can cook for us. Besides that, I'm just gonna rely on my Aunt. She's kinda high strung so when she comes by to help out (God bless a high strung Mexican woman) I know she'll either arrive with food or take over my kitchen. My mom doesn't really cook but I know she'll help if I ask.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 PM

I had plans to...but they've fallen by the wayside.
I will probably make pasta sauce and chili-they freeze well, and are good meal starters.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 PM

We are treating ourselves to this meal delivery service for a week or two after he's born. It's vegan, organic, and only about an hour and a half from where we live so we can get next-day delivery :
http://www.hungry-vegan.com/index.html
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 AM

Amy, I am so jealous of that service....yum!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 07-31-2008, 12:10 AM

My freezer is so strocked :

I have:
Several soups (Lentil, chicken veggie, potato)
Spagetti sauce
Zuccini loaf
lemon muffins
marinated chicken for skewers
marinated chicken breast for baking
cesear salad dressing (not sure if this will work, but I thought I'd try it)
Homemade chicken fingers
Homemade hamburger patties
Chicken stew
Meatballs
Chicken Stock

I am so happy about this. This is the first baby that I have had all of this food ready for.
But... my husband does NOT cook, I can't rely on anyone else to prepare food, and I don't want to be stuck eating tons of take out (too expensive, hard to find healthy options).
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLaz View Post
We are treating ourselves to this meal delivery service for a week or two after he's born. It's vegan, organic, and only about an hour and a half from where we live so we can get next-day delivery :
http://www.hungry-vegan.com/index.html
Now that is just awesome.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:51 AM

Tomorrow I will be finishing up my grocery shopping and starting the cook-off... which also happens to be my b-day but I've been lazing about the past week and just havent felt like getting anything done. It feels like she's never gonna come out... I'm in so much pain and discomfort I've just been hanging out in bed, I tried to get out and walk on Sunday but that didnt bring on any contractions or anything, Just gave me an achey back and crotch.

Anyways, I will be preparing and freezing some chicken enchiladas as well, some beef stew that I will cook then freeze, a chicken biscuit casserole, I will have the ingredients needed for hubby to cook up some taco salad (mmmm), perhaps i will premake some mashed potatoes too, hmmm I need some more ideas my brain feels like its filled with air...

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliarose View Post
Trying to get some meals done to pop in the freezer. It is blazing hot here, but I figured I would be less likely to want to cook in a week or so. Pretty certain baby won't be much longer. What is everyone cooking?
I am going to make chicken enchaladas, spaghetti pie, spanocopita, enchalada stack, greek meatloaf and some spinach pasta thing. Better get moving!!!
oooh, would you mind sharing the recipe for the greek meatloaf? sounds delicious.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 AM

I haven't ever cooked for PP meals. We have a small freezer, so we don't really have a place to keep that kind of thing.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 AM

It was on my to-do list to make 5 meals, and they are done! MIL helped by making a beef enchilada casserole and shepherd's pie casserole. I made a lasagne, beef stroganoff, and homemade mac & cheese with ham casserole. I also browned the meat and bought the supplies for simple things like spagetti, tacos, pizza, etc.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
Old 07-31-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jule924 View Post
I'm baking some, but the only time I actually cook is for the moms in my playgroup who are having babies. Thankfully they'll be doing the same for me
Ditto to this! Fortunately I've brought my share of dinners (not that I cooked, but rotisserie from the grocery) to new moms so I'm expecting to have the favor returned in spades. My hubby is only here from Iraq for 14 days and after that me and the gals will just eat cereal anyway
Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

This is what is "followed" for my Greek meatloaf recipe. http://www.thatsmyhome.com/momsdiner/beef/gremeat.htm I only used 2# of ground beef & 1 egg. I also just mushed in the feta and spinch and omitted black olives since they were not on hand. I added in some oregano & parm cheese mixture that I had too. Made 2 loaf pans. I haven't tried it before, but it is similar to a Greek burger recipe that I have made. Later I will carmelize some red onions and serve those on top with it.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 AM

I run a freezer cooking club(that my midwife is in too..lol) and so my huge freezer is stocked from the last 2 months. I have all kinds of chicken, beef, pasta and veggies dishes. I currently have a couple of each of spanakopita, pizza pasta, polynesian chicken, twice baked potatoes, taco casserole, cheeseburger pie, chicken and stuffing casserole, chicken pot pie and veggie pasta bake so we are good for a while! I want to also do some freezer muffins and breakfast sandwiches and waffles as well as some cookies. I want everything to be easy to do!

After my DD was born, I expected everyone to bring us stuff, but almost no one even came BY, never mind bringing anything(the difference between hospital and homebirth apparently since my sister's family got all kinds of presents and visitors and food for her hubby..)..so with this baby, I wanted to be prepared so hubby and I do'nt have to do anything on our babymoon and just love our family up :

I am planning on doing shopping tomorrow for the perishable stuff I need(here's hoping I have this baby this weekend..oh please oh please? LOL). I want to make some pasta salad, deviled eggs, sandwich platter stuff and lots of fresh fruit. I am debating having something in the crockpot too..but it is sooo hot and I don't know what would be good(I am thinking something easy to eat on the run since we will probably be sitting outside on the patio while I labor in the hot tub..) and I also want to make some bread in the breadmaker too.

Anyone have any great ideas for food for my homebirth team? We are not veggies, and have pretty basic tastes..nothing exotic..in fact, my midwife only asked me to have Lindt chocolate truffle available..lol

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=~Megan~;11820984
I do need to come up with a list of easy meal ideas for after birth, things dh can make easily, and then go shopping for the ingredients.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I've been meaning to put a list together of every three ingredient, edible recipe that isn't too junky I can think of. Our freezer is miniscule, so cooking ahead and stocking up isn't really an option. We almost bought a chest freezer just for this birth, but with all of our other financial obligations it never happened.

We don't have any other cooks in our extended family. My MIL and SIL's avoid cooking like the plague and I have family to speak of. Only a couple of friends have ever come by with food with my past births. Oh well, many people have lived off of cereal and peanut butter and ramen and survived, and so will my family.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 PM

I am starting to stock up the freezer but not with food I made. I love to cook and am often in the nutrition and good eating forum but the idea of cooking ahead seems daunting so I am buying relatively healthy premade food so we can have at least one week of food ready, maybe more. A well meaning friend gave us a case of diapers from sams that I will return and use the money to stock the freezer with.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 PM

I currently have meatballs and sauce, chicken spaghetti, beef stew, chicken stew and a crawfish fettuccine in the freezer.

This week I'm working on more beef stew, two pot roasts, red beans and sausage and probably more chicken stew. (We're Cajun rice and gravy people, can you tell? LOL)

User Tag List