Natural Remedies for GBS positive - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well my GBS test came back positive and I am looking for some natural remedies to lessen my risk of transmission. I think the odds of passing on the infection are low, especially if my water doesn't break until pushing stage like it did with ds and having a water birth, but I would like to do what I can to lessen the "colony" I am not big on putting things "up there" such as garlic, etc although I did that last night. Any suggestions are welcome. (and the more straight forward the better as I feel the baby will arrive in the next 7 days and I don't want to do a whole complicated regime every day.

Thanks, I know I am asking a lot...

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Eating garlic and taking probiotics are supposed to help.
#3 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM

I was positive with my last baby, but this baby I was negative after a week of tea tree oil suppositories and lavender peri-rinse, lots of Vit. C and echinacea and goldenseal(I don't recommend the goldenseal, it hurt my stomach) and I didn't DTD for a week or so while I was self treating.

My midwife mentioned doing a vaginal exam and culture if i did come up positive this time to see how heavily colonized i was. However, I didn't have to.

Like, you can be slightly, moderately or heavily colonized so that might give you a better idea of where you are at and what your risks and treatment options are. So see if you can get an exam/culture instead of another swab.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#4 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Oh, and I wanted to add that Propolis, probiotics and garlic are all great too.

#5 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Can you buy tea tree oil suppositories or did you make them somehow? I just found out I was + last night and did a garlic clove "suppository" and topical tea tree oil "down there". I have also taken a bath with tea tree oil and will start taking probiotics either today or tomorrow. (I have to check to see if the ones I have are expired. )

I don't know if I will make it to another appt. I think this baby may come before my next one. I am really okay not doing the antibiotics and so is my mw so I really am just doing this to do all I can naturally to lower any culture, if that makes sense...

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#6 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I also read online that semen has a natural anti-bacterial effect so dtd can be helpful. Anyone else hear or know about this? My dh would sure be happy and it would beat the garlic clove.

#7 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 PM

I bought the suppositories but they were expensive and i'm pretty sure there is a way to make them with tampons.

Women have reported good results with a hibiclense douche, too. You could just not worry about it and when labor starts give yourself an antibacterial douche. Calendula was my midwife's suggestion.

I was going to have my midwife do IV antibiotics, but my daughter came so fast my midwife walked in the door 3 minutes after she was born. So, nothing was done and i had a perfectly healthy baby.

#8 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 PM

I don't know if this will help at all, but when I was pregnant w/ds, I took a garlic supplement for the couple weeks before I was tested for GBS, and the test result was negative. I kept taking it until he was born, and it stayed away.

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#9 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 06:24 PM

#10 of 11 Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 PM

I tested positive on my first GBS test, and discovered that the hospital was going to hassle me through the roof if I declined the antibiotics. So, I asked for a retest, and douched with hibiclens beforehand. The test came back negative, so now I'm in the clear as far as the hospital is concerned.

I do want to be responsible about reducing my risk of transmission, so I plan to do a hibiclens douche every four hours during labor until I go to the hospital, which is the protocol for homebirth midwives around here.

The douche procedure was very simple. Here's what I did-

Bought a disposable douche kit at CVS, and a bottle of hibiclens. Discarded the douche solution (vinegar and water) that was in the kit, and rinsed the bottle. Put in about a quarter inch of hibiclens, and filled the rest with warm water. Used the bottle to douche per regular package instructions.

I realize that this isn't a "natural" treatment for GBS, but for me, it felt a lot less invasive than the antibiotics, and was relatively quick and easy.

Good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#11 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 AM

I came back positive a little over a week ago. My MW has me taking Grapefruit seed extract 15 drops, garlic, vit C 500mg w/bioflavanoids, probiotics (at least 5 bill per capsule) all twice a day, and I am douching with hydrogen peroxide every other day and inserting a probiotic capsule vaginal on the other day. I am retesting tomorrow.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page