babywearing for newborns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does everyone recommend?

I have an over the should baby holder from dd and a friend gave me a zolo wear sling. I would love to get a baby hawk mei tei. I see they are appropriate from birth, but have yet to find how you would use one for a newborn. I'd love some feedback please.
#2 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 AM

I have a zolowear sling and a hotsling.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#3 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 AM

i love my ultimate baby wrap for the newborn stage....so wonderful for the baby to cuddle, nurse, sleep in and feel like he is in the womb again. AND great for hands free access to the other kids

SAHM to DS1 (8/5/05), DS2 (3/20/07), DS3 (11/26/08), D?4 (Aug 2010) and (4/06) We CD, get adjusted , don't vax, and don't circ (post DS1.)
#4 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 AM

I LOOOVE wraps for newborns. I used the hug-a-bub almost exclusively until my ds was about 8 months old. The mei tai can be used for newborns and I recently discovered the bei bei which can be used for newborns too. www.mybeibei.com is the website...I believe.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#5 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 AM

I have both a Maya sling and a Maya pouch, and recently purchased a Sleepy Wrap.
I like my pouch least of all. I used it a few times when Zoe was brand-new (she's 5 weeks today, I'm a July Mama), but the last time I used it (maybe a couple of weeks ago), I felt she was riding too low. I like them up high.
The Sleepy Wrap is awesome, and I figured out how to tie it around myself on the first try. I'm overweight, so was nervous if it would work for me, but it does. It's extremely comfortable, since it distributes the weight evenly over both shoulders, and I found it easy to get my newborn in and out of it. The only drawback is you have to tie it on you before each use. What I did was tie it on me before leaving the house, wearing it while driving, and when we got to wherever we were going, I'd lift baby out of her car seat and right into the wrap.
The sling is very easy. It's my current favorite, since I don't need to re-thread it before each use. However, once my baby gets older (and heavier), I'll probably stop using it, and use the wrap again. So, for short-term use with a newborn, I prefer my sling, and longtime I can see myself using the wrap.
I noticed on the Maya website that they also offer wraps, and those seem even easier than the sleepy wrap that I already have. Hmmmm. I'd love to give those a try. I do like the idea of even weight distribution much better than slinging over one shoulder only.
Sorry for the lengthy answer!

Mom of 4
#6 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugsmom View Post
I have both a Maya sling and a Maya pouch, and recently purchased a Sleepy Wrap.
I like my pouch least of all. I used it a few times when Zoe was brand-new (she's 5 weeks today, I'm a July Mama), but the last time I used it (maybe a couple of weeks ago), I felt she was riding too low. I like them up high.
The Sleepy Wrap is awesome, and I figured out how to tie it around myself on the first try. I'm overweight, so was nervous if it would work for me, but it does. It's extremely comfortable, since it distributes the weight evenly over both shoulders, and I found it easy to get my newborn in and out of it. The only drawback is you have to tie it on you before each use. What I did was tie it on me before leaving the house, wearing it while driving, and when we got to wherever we were going, I'd lift baby out of her car seat and right into the wrap.
The sling is very easy. It's my current favorite, since I don't need to re-thread it before each use. However, once my baby gets older (and heavier), I'll probably stop using it, and use the wrap again. So, for short-term use with a newborn, I prefer my sling, and longtime I can see myself using the wrap.
I noticed on the Maya website that they also offer wraps, and those seem even easier than the sleepy wrap that I already have. Hmmmm. I'd love to give those a try. I do like the idea of even weight distribution much better than slinging over one shoulder only.
Sorry for the lengthy answer!
oh yes, ditto on that about the weight distribution. when using a sling, you're supposed to switch shoulders and make sure you use both sides equally. i just can't do that though! using it on my right shoulder feels so unnatural to me, so that's definitely a positive for the wrap!!!

SAHM to DS1 (8/5/05), DS2 (3/20/07), DS3 (11/26/08), D?4 (Aug 2010) and (4/06) We CD, get adjusted , don't vax, and don't circ (post DS1.)
#7 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 AM

There is a babywearing forum and I think they have links there with suggestions.

The OTSBH isn't the best carrier imo. There are more comfortable ones out there.

There are tips and tricks for doing all the types of carriers so I'd do a search or ask in the babywearing forum where the "experts" are likely to see and respond.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 AM

i love ring slings for a newborn.

love it

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#9 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 AM

I have a pouch sling and a wrap for the NB days. I also have 2 MTs, two more pouches (bigger ones for bigger babes), and a woven wrap...oh and my water RS. Not a big fan of RS in general though.
#10 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
There is a babywearing forum and I think they have links there with suggestions.

The OTSBH isn't the best carrier imo. There are more comfortable ones out there.

There are tips and tricks for doing all the types of carriers so I'd do a search or ask in the babywearing forum where the "experts" are likely to see and respond.
yeah, I have been reading the reviews on there, and they are definitely helpful! I will ask the experts tomorrow. Finally sleepy and ready for bed now.
#11 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM

I was going to go with a moby wrap, but I hated tying all that fabric around me last time. I'm thin and boney and it was just uncomfortable and a pile of material. Plus dd hated being in it (probably had to do with that fact that I never mastered tying it right, but she fought being swaddled too..

So, i bought a kangaroo pouch in hopes that it will work out well for us. If not, I'll buy something else, but not until I can try it with baby!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#12 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 AM

I made several pouch slings with my first two, and they were great for nursing a newborn on the go. This time I am going to test out a friend's moby wrap and possibly get one of those, too.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#13 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 AM

I'll be getting an ultimate baby wrap as a gift, can't wait to use it!
#14 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM

I have a moby wrap, but I've only ever used it on a teddy bear to show hubby how it works!

We also got a used ERGO, but no infant insert.
#15 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM

I bought a New Native Carrier on Ebay for my little one. I put my 10 pound cat in it and it didn't seem like it rode too low. Kitty did not like it. Hopefully baby will.

(I wrapped kitty in a towel so she would get cat hair all over the inside!)
#16 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 PM

I had a Moby D with my DD and it was my all time absolutely favorite and most comfortable carrier ever! The weight distribution on both shoulders with the wide straps was heavenly(not that at that age they are that heavy anyways..lol) and she was just so snug and it was SO beautiful(a gorgeous brocade front)...I loved it so much and cried when I had to put it away

I loved it so much I bought 2 more in "boy" colors for this baby since the other was a more girly pattern. I cannot WAIT to use them!

They were perfect for nursing too, since I have big boobies and she oculd be upright all snuggled and I could just whip a nip into her mouth

I also have an Ergo which I wouldn't use for a newborn even with an insert, it just wouldn't seem supportive enough with the large openings and such.

I have a mei tai which is pretty good, when they are tiny, you can really wrap them up tight in there too

I also got a bunch of the "conventional" carriers with my first(which I promptly sold..lol) and surprisingly got a few more this time around as well from well meaning friends who have seen me with carriers and just don't know what to get..lol. They are just not really functional for me(like the bjorn or the OTHBH or any of the other pack style carriers), I prefer a mama made or something like that that has been tried and tested comfortable and happy by other mamas like myself!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#17 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 05:12 PM

I have a ring sling (maya) and a pouch (hotsling) that work well with NBs, IMO. I think when you use a meitei with a NB, they have to be frog legged, which not every baby finds comfy? Most of my friends who used meiteis liked them once their babe was a little older, around 4 months or so.
At some of the local AP shops here, you can go in and try all the different slings-go for walks, etc, to see which one works for you. Is that an option where you live?

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#18 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
I have a ring sling (maya) and a pouch (hotsling) that work well with NBs, IMO. I think when you use a meitei with a NB, they have to be frog legged, which not every baby finds comfy? Most of my friends who used meiteis liked them once their babe was a little older, around 4 months or so.
At some of the local AP shops here, you can go in and try all the different slings-go for walks, etc, to see which one works for you. Is that an option where you live?
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yes, we have this great "new" store here (mothernurtureky.com) that I wish was around when dd was a baby. They carry several brands, so I figure when the little guy makes his appearance, we will cruise over there to test some out.
#19 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 06:22 PM

I have a whole collection of carriers. With ds I used my ring sling and really loved it but as he got bigger the one shoulder carry was uncomfortable. I have a sleepy wrap and a mei tai (actually two) to use this time around. I think I will lean towards two shouldered carriers while chasing Ry around.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#20 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
I bought a New Native Carrier on Ebay for my little one. I put my 10 pound cat in it and it didn't seem like it rode too low. Kitty did not like it. Hopefully baby will.
Hilarious! We have the Ergo (along with the newborn insert) and the Moby...looking forward to using both once the baby comes, but I don't think we can pull off a test run with either of our rotund kitties.

-nk
#21 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM

I have a MeiTai and a Hotsling. Both I have never used with a newborn so I'm dying to try that out as soon as Babygirl arrives.

joy.gif
#22 of 22 Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM

I am using a handmydown pocket sling, the fabric is sooo soft (i guess because it has been used previously) and he looks so peaceful in there. I have an ergo for when he grows a little older, but oh gosh, I wish he could stay so little... I am in love

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page