Stripping membranes - Mothering Forums
August 2008 > Stripping membranes
hatfieldsarah's Avatar hatfieldsarah 01:39 PM 08-06-2008
What do you think of membrane stripping?

I just got checked this am and I have been 2 cm and 60% effaced for 3 weeks. I saw the OB today for the first time and he asked if I wanted to have my membranes stripped and I said give it a shot.

Has this worked for anyone else? I am 39 weeks today and about ready to be done

hatfieldsarah's Avatar hatfieldsarah 01:40 PM 08-06-2008
Just saw the other post on this below, oops.
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 01:47 PM 08-06-2008
Today after 12 hours of prodromal labour I think its a bang up great idea...I got KY, latex gloves and google ...between those three all I need is someone willing to stick their hands up there and get this started...

It worked for me for my second within 24 hours he was born I was also 40weeks plus 2 days after 4 days of prodromal labour...which the prodromal then now seems short....someone shoot me
aquablue's Avatar aquablue 03:20 PM 08-06-2008
mm...I'm more the wait for baby to tell us when she's ready.

With DD#1, OB stripped me at 39 weeks and I was only 1-2 cm dilated. Btw, I had NOT given her permission to do it so I'm still miffed at that. I am very very lucky that I was able to deliver DD vaginally b/c my labor did end up stalling once I got to the hospital.

Anywho, if baby isn't giving your body signals that she/he is ready, the stripping won't do anything to speed labor and/or it might lead you to c-section.
holothuroidea 05:06 PM 08-06-2008
It sounds pretty lame to me. The instances where labor really needs to just be "kick started" in order to proceed are probably pretty rare. Otherwise, you're just irritating your uterus... and my uterus is pretty irritated already. :
jennykilbo's Avatar jennykilbo 07:05 PM 08-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Today after 12 hours of prodromal labour I think its a bang up great idea...I got KY, latex gloves and google ...between those three all I need is someone willing to stick their hands up there and get this started...

That is just worth quoting

I REALLY considered letting my mw do it... but I sense that Allison is not ready and that if I did it or had it done, that I would not really be trusting what's really going on in there. So it's a no go for me.
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 08:27 PM 08-06-2008
I am just kidding (for now
but you can see how a woman at her weakest with a pushy take charge OB will consent to just about anything including a Blonsky....
radiowave's Avatar radiowave 03:55 PM 08-07-2008
I have been 4 or 5 cm dilated and 80% (and then a week ago, 90%) effaced for two weeks-am due on Sunday. Yesterday at my midwife appt. he asked if I'd like to have my membranes swept-since I am v. uncomfortable if not in pain all the time because of my spd, and I am not sleeping and my blood pressure is a little high. He did it, only took a sec. Nothing has changed since then. I trust him and if I don't move along any further by Tuesday he will do it again.
Up