great, no wonder why my state ranks 50th in BF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/482335.html

Looks like me and the babe will have to go visit this McDonald's after he is born.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 01:50 AM

Wow, that's an amazingly sad story for the ignorance it showcases in those who made complaints. Does the breastfeeding law make rules about covering up? I know I've never wanted to breastfeed with a blanket over my baby.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo View Post
Wow, that's an amazingly sad story for the ignorance it showcases in those who made complaints. Does the breastfeeding law make rules about covering up? I know I've never wanted to breastfeed with a blanket over my baby.
No, actually, the law states that a breastfeeding mother may not be harassed in ANY way - covering up, leaving, etc. I hope those cops get into trouble along with everyone else.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think I can bring myself to listen to the radio discussion about this today.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Time for a nurse in : That poor mama. And at McDonald's of all places, you would think there's so many little ones running around people would be paying attention to them and not this woman who's doing best by her baby. It's just so sad

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 PM

that is just sad u figure it is yr 2008 and women breastfed why cant we be allowed to do so

they r breast they make milk it is for a baby THAT IS WHY BREAST MAKE MILK

that poor nursing momma

i remember once i was at a doctors office for my 6 weeks check up i was nursing my son under the peanut shell noo biggie trust me cause i would pull my boob out any time and any day to nurse without it but that day i just happened to have it with me lol anyways while i was nursing my son this lady sitting next to me asked me what i was doing and i said breastfeeding and she goes sweetie u r going to kill him and i gooo how he cant breath under that cover and i said yeah he is fine and she said u need to uncover him and give him a bottle CPS would have a fit if they saw that u should ask ur doctor for a pill to dry up ur milk

i was like my son is fine under here he can breath and he is eating i dont own a bottle soo this is the only way he will eat and she said well whats ur name iam going to call CPS and i said for what for nursing my son ohh yeah that is totally hurting my kid he is going to grow up with some serious problems right and she stood up and was totally yelling at me about it

and i looked at her and i said look call CPS iam nursing my son not hurting him and just cause i refuse to give him a bottle acually makes me a better mom my body makes milk for a reason and that is for my son and she said well u need to get ur milk to dry up soo u would stop hurting him

anyways the nurses came in the waiting room at that point and told her to leave and i still through the whole thing nursed my son and never yellied back just kept nursing him

some people r just sooo uneducated is makes me sick

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post
Looks like me and the babe will have to go visit this McDonald's after he is born.
Now that is a GREAT idea, mama, wish i could pop down from canada to join you!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 PM

How naive of me to be surprised when I hear stories like this! It's absolutely ridiculous! Wth are the laws there for if they don't do anything to help us??? Thankfully I haven't had any issues in my over 4 years of bfip.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytomahmoud View Post
that is just sad u figure it is yr 2008 and women breastfed why cant we be allowed to do so

they r breast they make milk it is for a baby THAT IS WHY BREAST MAKE MILK

that poor nursing momma

i remember once i was at a doctors office for my 6 weeks check up i was nursing my son under the peanut shell noo biggie trust me cause i would pull my boob out any time and any day to nurse without it but that day i just happened to have it with me lol anyways while i was nursing my son this lady sitting next to me asked me what i was doing and i said breastfeeding and she goes sweetie u r going to kill him and i gooo how he cant breath under that cover and i said yeah he is fine and she said u need to uncover him and give him a bottle CPS would have a fit if they saw that u should ask ur doctor for a pill to dry up ur milk

i was like my son is fine under here he can breath and he is eating i dont own a bottle soo this is the only way he will eat and she said well whats ur name iam going to call CPS and i said for what for nursing my son ohh yeah that is totally hurting my kid he is going to grow up with some serious problems right and she stood up and was totally yelling at me about it

and i looked at her and i said look call CPS iam nursing my son not hurting him and just cause i refuse to give him a bottle acually makes me a better mom my body makes milk for a reason and that is for my son and she said well u need to get ur milk to dry up soo u would stop hurting him

anyways the nurses came in the waiting room at that point and told her to leave and i still through the whole thing nursed my son and never yellied back just kept nursing him

some people r just sooo uneducated is makes me sick
OMG, that is just awful. I mean, is it that serious? She had no right to yell at you for feeding your child? I never have understood why people have such an issue with breastfeeding? Even if you're covered. It makes me mad to no end. Geez!

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

OMG, its even worse than I realized!

So, the woman who this happened to was on my favorite local AM talk show today. The manager and customers (even someone's kid!!) were YELLING at her! And she finally walked outside because her baby was so upset - and decided to call the police since McDs was breaking the law. She went back inside, mgr yells more. She told the manager that the police are on the way (she even had a copy of the law with her, like many breastfeeding mothers around here, sad that its necessary). Cops get there and tell her if she doesn't leave, she will be arrested for criminal trespassing. She told them about and showed them the copy of the statute, and the cop says "I don't care! I am the law! Its inappropriate."

Then there were so many people calling in saying things like "she was looking for a fight" "i support a woman bfing anytime and anywhere, just do it in the restroom". etc. Of course there were several educated people calling in as well, but it was seriously hard to tell which side of the issue has more support. Sad sad sad. This is one of the times when I *$#&ing hate Kentucky. I had to turn the radio off. :
Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 PM

this makes me really sad... I wish I could go there for a nurse in...

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM

that poor women my heart goes out to her

iam sorry but babies dont need to eat in a bathroom if a bottle fed baby doesnt have to eat in a bathroom then a breastfed baby doesnt have too

i just dont get it why is breastfeeding soo wrong? why is it looked down on?

why do people think breastfeeding is sexual or wrong?

anyways i just figure with all the stuff women have gone through over the yrs like what we have been fighting for the right to vote to be treated equal and yet women still have to fight for the right to choose to breastfed her baby where she wants too

it is not fair

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 PM

Where are you supposed to sit in the bathroom? SERIOUSLY?!?!? We were in a small town McDonald's during a road trip last weekend and (of course) visited the bathroom and there was literally s*&t on the floor. No way I'm taking my baby in there! : Makes me so mad!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 PM

Wow, that's brutal. I can't even imagine! Makes me want to visit Kentucky and breastfeed everywhere...
I get so pissed off when someone suggests feeding a baby in a <yurgghh> public bathroom...grodes.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 PM

I live in Berea : and lots of people nurse here FWIW. I have breastfed everywhere! I've nursed in public thousands of times, even twin toddlers LOL and that was indiscreet I tell ya. Unfortunately, my kids no longer nurse so I have no reason to go to McDonalds tomorrow.

Does anyone know which McD's it was? I think I may just go and tell them I will never give them my business again because of what they did and that I will tell everyone I know as well.

But I'd like to be sure it is the right one.

What else could I do? What radio show was this on? It sounds like there was a lot more to this than in the newspaper article. I am upset about the police as well... Is there any way to address this? I see and speak with our mayor about once a week. I can at least tell him how upset I am and how wrong this was.

Any ideas?

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 AM

Why on earth is breastfeeding considered a "private" act? People get less upset about farting in public I mean honestly...

Meanwhile 14 year old girls walk around in string bikinis and everyone thinks that's just great.

The whole thing just makes me want to vom.

I am NEVER feeding my baby in a bathroom, thank you. Not even my own bathroom. I don't eat in there.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 08-08-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten View Post
I live in Berea : and lots of people nurse here FWIW. I have breastfed everywhere! I've nursed in public thousands of times, even twin toddlers LOL and that was indiscreet I tell ya. Unfortunately, my kids no longer nurse so I have no reason to go to McDonalds tomorrow.

Does anyone know which McD's it was? I think I may just go and tell them I will never give them my business again because of what they did and that I will tell everyone I know as well.

But I'd like to be sure it is the right one.

What else could I do? What radio show was this on? It sounds like there was a lot more to this than in the newspaper article. I am upset about the police as well... Is there any way to address this? I see and speak with our mayor about once a week. I can at least tell him how upset I am and how wrong this was.

Any ideas?

I was totally surprised because I always thought of Berea as a pretty liberal town. And yes, the police thing makes me the most angry! They were talking about it on all three local morning/afternoon shows on 590. I really only listened to the noon-3 show, and the guy filling in (Robert Lindsey) was super supportive of BFing mothers, which made listening tolerable.

I *think* they said it was the McDs on Glades Road. But you should do some checking first.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 AM

wow makes me kinda sick to read that. Poor woman, poor child. Oh she's so much nicer than I would have been!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:36 AM

It is a liberal town. But it is a very interesting sort of eclectic mix of cultures as well. There are lots of non-liberals who I will avoid stereotyping here--I think its a nice mingling but of course not always nice. I love it here!

I must say that I am very pleased that this made the front page and got so much publicity. There has been a lot of super advocacy going on to get us this far. Not so long ago these laws didn't exist, and the media wouldn't have handled this in a basically positive way as I think they did. Not long ago, the majority would have agreed with the offended customer and nobody would have thought to stand up for the mom's rights.

We've come a long way IMO.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 08-08-2008, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeporgarten View Post

I must say that I am very pleased that this made the front page and got so much publicity. There has been a lot of super advocacy going on to get us this far. Not so long ago these laws didn't exist, and the media wouldn't have handled this in a basically positive way as I think they did. Not long ago, the majority would have agreed with the offended customer and nobody would have thought to stand up for the mom's rights.

We've come a long way IMO.
yeah, those are great points! And you have made me feel a little better. Thanks. Oh, and I do plan to take my newborn there to eat when he is born. I just don't understand why so many people think BFing is something to be ashamed of, rather than what's best for babies.

And generally, I do love KY. I moved from Michigan for school 16 yrs ago, and fell in love with it. This is just one of the parts where the large conservative/closed-minded population makes itself known.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Man, it's stories like these that make me want to go look for a fight. I plan on nursing in public. I've cheked out Maine laws and I'm good friends with many of the town council and county reps, so if I get harassed, they've got a big fight on their hands. I also know a few business owners in town that I'm going to ask to put up the breastfeeding signs on their doors in the next month or two. I would never feed my child in a bathroom, esp some of the ones I've seen over the last few years. Bleh....

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

User Tag List