Daily thread - Thursday - 08/07 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you doing?

All ready for baby to arrive?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Doing great. 36w6d today.

Have company in town until Monday and they and DH and the kids are heading to the National Forest we have here in Louisiana for the day. I'm not at all interested in being in the heat unless I'm next to a pool so I've scheduled a prenatal massage and pedicure and am just going to enjoy the peace and quiet. Might do a bit of shopping for New Baby as s/he has nothing new! I also could use some more nursing pajamas.

After Friday I'll be ready!
#3 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

I can't sit around waiting...so we're off to swim lessons, a playdate, and then I have a MW app't this aft. Hoping that the good sleeps I've been having this week (finally!)and keeping busy will get things going.
As long as I don't go into labour today, I'm good (SIL is staying overnight, then away for the weekend, so hopefully this weekend!) I'm trying not to think of Murphy's Law!!
I am so ready to meet my new LO!:

What about everyone else?

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#4 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM

Well today is my "other" due date so I am 40 weeks or 40+2... whatever! Still nothing happening yet - one of the other threads asked if the contractions don't hurt, they're not real? I'm having that same thing - strong BH all day every day but nothing painful to speak of. I'm sleeping and eating fine so I guess I'm doing great... just impatient.

My mom is coming to "hang out" today... I do not want her here for labor/actual birth so as long as she isn't thinking that she might get invited if I went into labor today, then that's cool with me. (We get along okay but we have boundary issues.) I'm thinking I definitely WON'T go into labor with her around anyway. But it will be fun to get out of the house and go see a movie or something - I think I need at least a full 12 hour break from MDC anyway, since I keep checking in here every few hours to see about our babies... but all the other threads are making me obsess about my "labor symptoms" (or lack thereof!)

I think the last thing on my list is to get my dh to take some pictures of me!! I don't have any since 35 weeks and I'm scared we'll miss the chance! I actually like my pregnant body and I don't think I'll be doing this again for another 5 years or so, so it'll definitely be different next time around

mama to Allison 8-18-08 and Ethan 1-24-11  heartbeat.gif

#5 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 AM

I am doing okay.We had our home visit on Monday but I am still not "approved" to go until next Wed the 13th when I will be 37 weeks according to ovulation. Our visit was early so my mom could be there since she will be out of town next week. We got the birth pool (we are doing the fishy pool) blown up to make sure it will fit and I got in it with ds. He crawled under my shirt and pretended to get pushed out, while I made labor noises. Then added, so we know he knew, that baby Z would NOT come out of my shirt but " mommy's bagina" and that it will "be hard work."

I wish I had never starting thinking of my dates based on LMP because that is a whole week different than what the midwives have me down as. So that week discrepancy is killing me. In my mind there just seems to be such a huge difference between having 4 weeks or 3 weeks left.

Ds was 11 days past due but we know now that I ovulate a lot later than 14 days so he wasn't as overdue as we thought. But that still doesn't really tell me anything. I didn't think I would be as impatient as I am getting. We still have lots of fun summer things to do and I am hoping that will keep me busy. But I want to see my baby!!! I am also getting really excited to see if this one has red hair like Ryan. He says baby Z will have brown hair and brown eyes like Mommy- we'll see. All the pictures of the sweet little red baby faces are killing me. I am also DONE and over my belly rubbing against the counter when I am trying to cook. : .

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#6 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 AM

39 weeks here. I have less symptoms of prelabor this week than I had last week. It's hard not to be bummed out about it.

I've actually resorted to sex to hopefully jump-start labor. Given the fact that I'm wider than I am tall this should tell you of my desperation. I ate a pineapple yesterday. Walks.

The only thing I need for the baby is a carseat. I figure that will give us something to buy during early labor. We're having a homebirth so it wouldn't be a huge deal if dh had to go buy a carseat after the baby comes.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#7 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 AM

going to see the 4rth midwife today...(I keep getting bounced for vacations)
having some issues with the due date thing.
Its really messing me up

I know the September 2nd (base on one u/s) is so I won't be induced if I go over term...but my term baby was almost 11pounds..I would welcome an induction at that point KWIM? If I did go a week past that one...I might get screwed out of a vaginal birth...

Also two of my births were 36 an 38 weeks..
Based on those issues if I have this baby at LMP term (aug 16th)I get screwed out of a homebirth beforethe 13th..

I chose midwifery to give me more choices however it seems as if the way they are choosing to do this is giving me little choice other than a hospital birth.

Also am frusrated with the have a few drinks and some gravol method of treating prodromal labour...how healthy is that? for almost 2 weeks?

And if they believe my September due dates more true then I have been not in prodromal labour but preterm having dropped to zero station then at 34 weeks...and they haven't been concerned.

I feel I am getting the pat on the back your body knows best routine.
Well sure but if my word on my LMP, when I ovulated, tested positive with a pee test is not respected as my due date..rather one out of 3 (or was it four) ultrasouds is taken for no induction pressure purposes....what if I am not comfortable going 43plus weeks....I am also underpressure as I am going back to school in September so this baby needs out by 42 weeks based on LMP....

Its not that I want to be induced tomorrow,but I feel as if I have little choice. And I am being patronized.....

But I have no way of getting one and feel silly with less confidence in not midwifery in general but the care I have gotten for various reasons...Based on that one U/s they won't even consider stripping me, inducing me until Sept 2nd...which is 42 weeks and 3 days...based on LMP and I don't have wonky periods....it just seems as if they stick to that date for some arbitrary reason not necessarily best pratices IMO anyone have any other thoughts? When the baby was breech and a section was going to be ordered I was happier with a section date of term (38 weeks based o that one u/s as OB'slke to do those earlyso that fudging dates seemed better IMO for baby's outcome)

DH Is comming with me to my appointment..
I am just pissed.
I can't keep drinking booze (*I AM NOT A DRINKER) for the next three weeks and popping gravol and painkillers to get any sleep..is that healthier than having a baby at 39 weeks?

8 might be enough
#8 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 AM

Shiloh I swear you & I are going through the same thing!!! My mw practically dropped me last week and I took it upon myself to call my old OB who is way more supportive of my VBA2C. I never thought things would go this way. I'm ending up with a hospital birth, but I'm truly okay with it now. Don't get me wrong, I'm upset that I won't have my HB, but I feel everything happens for a reason, so maybe something's going on I'm not aware of. I've been faithfully taking EPO, RRT & will be going for an induction acupuncture session to try and get things moving, but we all know how that goes if the body isn't ready. Sending you big hugs

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#9 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Meredyth..
I feel so let down I don't know why I expected a higher standard from MW's in terms of professionalism and personalism...and I am getting more chatty time but am kinda suspect of how is a better standard of care than my old OB (who I hated btw) but encouraged me that I could birth the big baby naturally...everything happens for a reason I think my prodromal labor is making me question the HB senario...had a cord presentation and oxygen deprivation with last baby (unassisted unexpected hospital birth)

I just don't feel supported. The pat me on the back approach....
Everything happens when its supposed to your body knows best have some drugs and alchohol just doesn't jive as being so natural....or personal...

how do I find an OB at this stage if I am suspect of the care I am getting?

8 might be enough
#10 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Meredyth..
I feel so let down I don't know why I expected a higher standard from MW's in terms of professionalism and personalism...and I am getting more chatty time but am kinda suspect of how is a better standard of care than my old OB (who I hated btw) but encouraged me that I could birth the big baby naturally...everything happens for a reason I think my prodromal labor is making me question the HB senario...had a cord presentation and oxygen deprivation with last baby (unassisted unexpected hospital birth)

I just don't feel supported. The pat me on the back approach....
Everything happens when its supposed to your body knows best have some drugs and alchohol just doesn't jive as being so natural....or personal...

how do I find an OB at this stage if I am suspect of the care I am getting?
I know mama, it really just sucks and is so unfair. I feel like a dummy b/c here I am building up the HBA2C and never thought things would go so awry at the end. I expected a lot more as well, especially confidence, and once she said she didn't think I could birth a 10lb+ I just lost all faith. I knew my previous OB was VBAC friendly and believe me I wasn't thrilled with my last experience with him (badly bruised from my c/s) but I felt I needed to contact him just to see what he could offer. I'll be damned if he wasn't completely supportive of VBA2C. He advised me to stay at home as long as I could take it and be ready to push when I arrive at the hospital. So for this man I thought would be the worst way to go actually has become my biggest supporter. The whole drugs & alcohol thing would freak me out, too. You're right, it's just not natural. I'm still not crazy about the EPO - nature needs to do it's thing, you know? Is there any OB a friend trusts, or you have heard good things about? I can't tell you how much better I feel after taking "control" of the situation. Keep me posted

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#11 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 11:16 AM

motherrisk just called me back(alch. unit and said not under any circumstances should that be a perscribed method of treatment..
not even once never mind for over a week...

I am going to my MW appointment and if that falls flat I think I will walk into L&D at my hospital and ask questions....I need a 2nd opinion....maybe the 4rth midwife will be able to do that for me....sigh.....maybe not...

8 might be enough
#12 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Still here (and back at work today, boo) - don't even really know what to say anymore. I think I got an extra hour of sleep last night, so I feel a little better than I did yesterday. My doc has been on vacation for a couple of weeks so I have an appt today (I'm 38+5 today, my last appt was 36+5) so I'm anxious to see if he can give me any insight as to what my crazy body is doing.

Other than that, we're having thunderstorms and temperatures aren't supposed to get out of the 70's, so that is good news, to me!

Hang in there everyone, we're all one day closer!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#13 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Shiloh - I have been meaning to ask you, why they are having you drink cocktails? And excuse my ignorance, but what is gravol? I thought alcohol stopped labor, not what you are trying to do I thought.

Today, for me, I've got nothing. I took the kids for a walk yesterday and i felt fine. No baby in my crotch feeling ( well only a little bit).

This baby can wait, but not too long. My oldest starts school on the 21st, I have family court on the 26th and my husbands 30th birthday is the 28th. I would really like the baby out for a week or so before all of this hits. (okay, I just officially jinxed it)

Anyway, have a good day everybody. I'm really loving this maternity leave thing. It makes me sad to think this is my last time. Probably my last vacation for a couple of years.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#14 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Happy Hour at Shiloh's House starting at 10am some mornings
(kidding never again)

I am having prodromal labour - all the fun of contractions, backpain, vomiting, no cervix progression. Cause I can't sleep just moan and ask dh to shoot me...they recommend relaxing - to see if contractions will stop change patterns - either go into labour or stop - things anywhere from baths, to alcohol, morphine...as it can be exhausting...(this is my second preg with prod)

I tried to push labour along it did not work, I gave up...
Gravol is a mild sedative or motion sickness, antihistamine type...

They won't strip me...due to the due date fiasco..

8 might be enough
#15 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 02:03 PM

39+5 today, and not feeling much closer to delivery. Pre-natal on Tues had me at 2-1/2 cm dilation, 50% effaced, -2 station... so the few contractions I've had are obviously doing something. Baby hasn't dropped enough for the perma-heartburn/indigestion to stop, and I'm up every two hours or so at night to rush to the bathroom before my bladder leaks. Almost didn't make it last night .

Still trying to get stuff unpacked and put away, and get the baby's stuff put away, and get it all done before my parents arrive (which is a wonderful thing and we're looking forward to the visit) so they have someplace to stay. Somehow, the days, which never seemed to have enough hours in them as it was, seem like they've gotten even shorter.

Shiloh, sorry to hear that you've lost confidence in your many midwives, and in the way they're treating you. Hopefully, something will be resolved soon, and you can stop the Happy Hour routine.

Laura wife to Dan , BFing Babywearing RadicalUSing SAHM to my free range kid Craig (12/20/93) and eventual free range kid Danny (8/26/08)
#16 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Man, morphine actually sounds wonderful to me right now...

Just had my appt and dr thinks I'll have a baby sometime in the next two weeks. Gee, thanks. Two weeks sounds like an ETERNITY right now. It's so hard to be patient. He's also going on vacation AGAIN the 13-19 - my edd is the 16th. Great. So I have an appt next Wed with his partner (whom I've actually already met - he's fine) and then I almost vomited when I had to make an appt for the FOLLOWING week. I so hope I am not pregnant on the 21st. I can't take 2 more full weeks without sleep and with almost constant, wussy contractions. I just can't do it.

Anyway, no check, which is fine with me, I'm sure I would have been disappointed, anyway. I would be interested to know what station babe is at since he seems sooooo low, but I'll just have to wait on that, too.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#17 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM

I'm scheduled for a c-section on Monday. At my appointment today, I asked the doctor performing the surgery what I should do if I go into labor over the weekend (I'm 38 weeks) and he said "Well, I'm going to be on call at [Other Hospital] so if you go into labor this weekend it would actually be someone else doing the surgery..." I said "Hey, great! [Other Hospital] is actually about 2 minutes from my house. Seriously, should I just come over to [Other Hospital] to see you if I go into labor?!"

He about had a heart attack, and although he didn't want to say "no, don't come," it was perfectly clear that he didn't want a laboring goldfinch darkening the doorstep of L&D at "Other Hospital" this weekend.

Clearly, he does not want to perform this c-section under less than optimal conditions. (On Monday, there will be a general surgeon there... everyone will be well-rested and I'll have undergone "bowel prep" to ward off the risk of problems in the event that my intestines get nicked or cut during the surgery, etc., etc.) -- anyway, the way he reacted has just made me even more freaked out about the surgery.

Blah. Just venting.

The good news is that all three carseats fit.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#18 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I am not having a very good day. I found out yesterday that for a lot of the weekend my doula won't be available so I will have a backup who I have never met, or my doula might have to leave in the middle of the labor...and I am not feeling much support from my mother, and I miss my old best friend who I haven't spoken with in a year and a half and I am wondering if I should try to call her in Australia. I am sick of having this pelvic pain, and I am worried that I am going to hate staying home with the baby. Tell me it will be better once the baby comes!
I had my membranes stripped by the midwife yesterday...but no change.

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#19 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Man, it sounds like people are having caregiver issues. Sucky.
I was supposed to see MW tomorrow, but she's coming over here tomorrow, as we're now planning a HB. She's been on vacation for the last month, so we have a lot to discuss. She's waaay more clinical than my other MW (which is a good/bad thing), so I want to go through a whole bunch of stuff to make sure we're on the same page.
SIL arrived today (to stay with us...yes, on my due date...duh), and immediately apologized, not knowing that 8-8-8 is my due date, and that she'd make arrangements to be out of the house if I go into labour while she's here. Thank goodness, as I've been agonizing over the whole thing. So now I just need to have the baby, hee hee.
You know, in the last day or so I've made peace with the fact that I may go over my due date, and stopped being impatient, and now I'm actually hoping to go late(of course, I know that this could just be disguising my secret wish to go ummm...now). But really, we're probably stopping at 2 kids, and everything is in balance right now, so I should be enjoying it, not wishing it away.
My friend just lent her digital SLR, so I'm going to try and get some nice shots today/night, and I want to take some of baby/big sis too in the early days, so I'm going to go practice!
I gave up afternoon naps and am sleeping soooo much beter these nights, thank goodness!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#20 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 PM

iam 37 weeks and 3 days i think lol and nothing is happening here noo contrx nothing just waiting

i did get an exciting email today my newborn fluff was shipped finially lol but they sent it DHL and i always have problems with them i just hope their is noo problems this time cause if their is i might cry they always say they came by on their website but i never get a notice or anything on my door soo all next week i will be home waiting for them hoping to not miss them

soo that means my doc appt on wednesday of next week will be cancled soo i can wait for my fluff mail last time i got mail from DHL it took them 3 weeks to give it to me cause they kept saying i was not home when i was home SAHM soo yeah were willl i go lol

my toddler is playing cars but it is quit time for him but doesnt want to lay down soo he figures if he plays quity and doesnt bother me then i will forget lol nope he needs a nap soo i can nap lol

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#21 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 PM

okay midwife #4 rocked.
she reviewed my chart measured me said I am over 38 weeks
::
Just like I've been freakin saying...
said lots of sex, castor oil,nipples...

and if we'd been able to sort it out she would have stripped me TODAY!
Just knowing I was heard and not crazy!
She thinks baby is around 8lbs (like 7.5-8lbs)

So my primary I am supposed to have the home visit with I am begging to come over and strip me (we are friends) so it could be any day (the stripping) in the next week! Midwife 4 said one week TOPS...
hope is kept alive and dh doesn't thnk I am so hormonal....

8 might be enough
#22 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM

I'm glad your care provider issues worked out, Shiloh.

This is WAY TMI, but I'm going to say it anyway because I need to tell someone and I don't want to gross out DH, who has been grossed out enough already. Ok, you've been warned... Last night I had a BM the size of a SOFTBALL. I kid you not, and about as hard as one too. It was so incredibly difficult and painful. I really just could not believe it... I was so shocked. : Yeah, that was traumatic so I needed to talk about it...

At least now I know my perineum can stretch. *heavy sigh*

I know that's really gross, sorry.

I'm a huge space cadet today... I can't concentrate on any one task so I've been pacing around the apartment aimlessly. I need to get motivated to do something or maybe I should just take a nap.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#23 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 PM

I'm popping in, this is my first daily thread post.

Life has been so crazy and emotional the last couple of weeks that I've barely had time to think let alone post.

My sister is going through a really hard separation with her abusive husband, and it's taking it's toll on the whole family. Crying has caused some intense bh, but nothing to get excited over.

My home visit was today, and I was shocked when my mw said I would be taking my gbs test next week. Last time around I didn't do it, and that seemed like the option they encouraged, due to all the false results that the swab causes. This time around, this mw said they encourage everyone to get the swab done because on the off chance that your babe needs to be transfered, if you have a negative result they don't do as many invasive tests on your nb. (Lumbar puncture etc.) So now I feel totally backed into a corner. I don't want an iv of abx during my homebirth, but what if my result is positive. Blech, I just thought this was one stress I didn't have to deal with. Last time they brought the abx, told me that they would offer them if any of the risk factors presented, and they didn't.

Aurgh. Sorry, I love my mws I'm just frustrated with the system.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#24 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 PM

my midwife said even if I was positive its only really necessary when the baby hangs out in the birth canal too long or the water breaks without labour other than that (she said) the baby doesn't have enough time to culture enough bacteria...

so just pray for a speedy pass through the birth canal...

8 might be enough

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page