is sex supposed to soften only, or does it help with dilation as well? - Mothering Forums
August 2008 > is sex supposed to soften only, or does it help with dilation as well?
rach03's Avatar rach03 05:35 PM 08-07-2008
Now that the tropical storm threat has passed I told DH he must do his part to get my cervix ready every night. He's happy because up until this point I really didn't want anything up in there....I was just nervous after previous losses.

So, I remember that the semen helps to soften the cervix, but does that in turn also help you dilate or is that not related?

meredyth0315's Avatar meredyth0315 05:49 PM 08-07-2008
Hey Rach!!! I've been on the prostaglandin hunt, too Basically the semen just softens. Unless baby is ready, it doesn't do much. Have you tried EPO? I'm doing that as well...
rach03's Avatar rach03 05:55 PM 08-07-2008
Hello! I haven't tried EPO yet...I'm kind of scared to. I used it to increase fertile CM while we were TTC and it nearly made me drown in my own lung mucous! I was coughing up all kinds of stuff. But I guess if I inserted it vaginally it wouldn't do that, huh? I'm a big dork.

I'm tired of listening to my DH whine about when the baby is going to come. He's just slightly impatient and it starts at about 37 weeks. He wants the baby NOW. And I'm supposed to do what about that? LOL! I won't lie though, I'd like her to come before her head gets any bigger.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 07:25 PM 08-07-2008
Semen softens, orgasm encourages contractions.
robertandenith's Avatar robertandenith 09:26 PM 08-07-2008
the same hormones released in birth are the ones released in sex, so yes, if you reach an orgasm you can get contractions! So I guess it is a great combo, since semen is an awesome prostaglandin.
mamamerle's Avatar mamamerle 10:30 PM 08-07-2008
At my appointment yesterday my midwife did a cervix check. She said "it's really soft, but not dilated or effaced. You two have been having sex a lot!" :
rach03's Avatar rach03 11:30 PM 08-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post
At my appointment yesterday my midwife did a cervix check. She said "it's really soft, but not dilated or effaced. You two have been having sex a lot!" :
LOL!

Thanks guys...I'll make sure I working in some uterine contracting as well

Oh, one more question...I'm already dilated 2 cm, but it's okay to keep having sex right?
holothuroidea 12:13 AM 08-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
LOL!

Thanks guys...I'll make sure I working in some uterine contracting as well

Oh, one more question...I'm already dilated 2 cm, but it's okay to keep having sex right?
As long as your water hasn't broken.
Up