Postpartum Daily Thread 08/08 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are the mamas and babies?

My milk is definitely in but no engorgement. Is this a third baby thing? I mean, I'm glad not to have the rocks in my bra but is this normal? Perhaps it will pick up in a few days.

I've been eating like crazy. My appetite seems never ending!

Baby just spit up and pooped! gotta go!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Sorry, I keep invading the post partum threads. ;-) But, I need to ask...

How long was it in between the stabbing cervix pains and going into labor? I assume I should still count on it being a couple weeks, but I am curious about the shortest amount of time. I still have lots to do! LOL
#3 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 04:06 PM

Hmm, Kirsten, I have no idea, I don't think I had stabbing cervix pains?? Nothing, then .....contractions. Literally, I walked over to the library with my dd, on the way there a neighbor asked the usual--- anything going on there? Pretty soon? And I said, no I don't think so. And then at the library, 15 mins later I was stopped a couple times in my tracks by an early contraction....that was the beginning for me. Then the loose stool started, always a sign for me. And then more contractions that whole evening and night, it wasn't even until then that I felt baby was dropping--they Slowed down by the AM, picked up in afternoon, baby was born that PM. Sorry, no idea about the cervix pains?
#4 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Bea and I are doing great. My milk is also in, but I'm not uncomfortable at all other than a little nipple pain - perhaps it's because she's a fantastic eater? We've had no problems whatsoever other than her overactive hands getting in the way while latching on.

She's also a fantastic sleeper and hardly fusses at all other than changing time. Knock on wood! I feel very lucky so far.

I'm still super sore downstairs and swollen too - that part sucks. Sitting for any length of time is a huge pain. But that's my only complaint.

I still can't believe she's actually here!

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
#5 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well, engorgement is here! I woke up from a nap and noticed it.

#6 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Cervix pain? I got that a few weeks before labor started but that was only my experience. Yours could be different.

#7 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Kendall and I are great. We were discharged from the hospital thismorning. Of course the regular, no sex, no tampons, yada yada. We both have follow up appointments on Monday (go figure) but at least we'll both be out of the way.
He's doing great. Just sleeping (like 3-4 hours) and eating. It's the middle of the night when he wants to stay awake the most. He also does alot of stretching out as if he can't get comfortable. Considering how we've been in the hospital since Sunday morning, maybe he'll get some uninterrupted sleep except for when I wake him to feed.

Here are some pictures:

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=005-7.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=010-3.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=006-6.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=012-2.jpg

Speaking of feeding, he latches on great but my milk hasn't come in. Is this normal for almost 5 days post-delivery? DP mentioned that my boobs looked biggers today but I don't see a difference. It really hurts when he starts to suckling but my mom says I have to push through the pain *easier said than done*.

I'm doing ok. My bleeding is VERY light, almos non-exsistent (is this normal for a c-sec?) so I feel fine. My bp is boderline high but I feel fine. My feet do swell like crazy if I'm up for long periods of time. I'm trying to make myself stay off of them as much as possible. I also put on my belly band/binding thingy as soon as I got home. My tummy looks to really be going down.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#8 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post

Speaking of feeding, he latches on great but my milk hasn't come in. Is this normal for almost 5 days post-delivery? DP mentioned that my boobs looked biggers today but I don't see a difference. It really hurts when he starts to suckling but my mom says I have to push through the pain *easier said than done*.
5 days is quite a long time before your milk comes in. I am concerned that either his latch is not right on if it hurts at all. make sure both his lips our pulled out, neither is pulled in, make sure he is getting all the nipple and part of your aerola. usually your milk is in by day three or four, even with my first i think it was day four. does your hospital have an LC to help you make sure latch is right? spend some time at the breastfeeding board for more help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/index.html
#9 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
How are the mamas and babies?

My milk is definitely in but no engorgement. Is this a third baby thing? I mean, I'm glad not to have the rocks in my bra but is this normal? Perhaps it will pick up in a few days.

I've been eating like crazy. My appetite seems never ending!

Baby just spit up and pooped! gotta go!
Since this is baby #5 and Lydia is a super sucker nurser (she was pretty much latched on all day yesterday and last night). my milk came in early this morning. So she has had a few nice big feedings and is sleeping it off right now. I will probably be up all night with her again, but I got a nice long nap in too. My bottom is sore, and my middle/upper back hurt from pushing, but not that bad.

My appetite is not bad, but we think she has a dairy intolerance (which all my other kids have had) so I am restricting all dairy and it makes eating more difficult.
#10 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
5 days is quite a long time before your milk comes in. I am concerned that either his latch is not right on if it hurts at all. make sure both his lips our pulled out, neither is pulled in, make sure he is getting all the nipple and part of your aerola. usually your milk is in by day three or four, even with my first i think it was day four. does your hospital have an LC to help you make sure latch is right? spend some time at the breastfeeding board for more help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/index.html
Hey kris4chloe! Congrats on your baby girl!! I didn't see a thread for your story, but didn't want to reply on the announcements thread. She is so precious, and those cheeks! My goodness!!!! beautiful!
#11 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettie cracker View Post
Hey kris4chloe! Congrats on your baby girl!! I didn't see a thread for your story, but didn't want to reply on the announcements thread. She is so precious, and those cheeks! My goodness!!!! beautiful!
Thanks.

I posted the announcement over in July since that is when I was officially due. But I always knew she would be an August baby.
#12 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
My milk came in around day 5 when I had a c-section - so it might be a c-section thing. But I do agree that you should make sure that the latch is good as that could be the problem, too (I also had latching issues with that c-section delivery due to a tongue tie - so it is hard to say what caused the delay). Do you have access to a lactation consultant?
#13 of 17 Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Kendall and I are great. We were discharged from the hospital thismorning. Of course the regular, no sex, no tampons, yada yada.

Speaking of feeding, he latches on great but my milk hasn't come in. Is this normal for almost 5 days post-delivery?
They even needed to tell you that? Because you feel so much like having sex right now?!

5 days is totally normal especially for a first time mom. I'd start worrying around 7 days. You can do things to encourage it to come in though. Make sure he's nursing at least every 2 hours. Spend some time getting a good open mouth latch, making sure he doesn't slip down as he's nursing. Pump if you'd like to stimulate further. Also keep hydrated. There are certain foods that increase your supply including oatmeal, even oatmeal cookies if you prefer (have someone make some up that include some slivered almonds and dried fruit for an easy and healthy snack).

He is really, really adorable, btw. I bet you know that already though

#14 of 17 Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 AM

engorgement here too but I manage how to ease the discomfort with some cold packs and lots of nursing. I am also having difficulties sitting up I am struggling to come to the computer because of this uncomfortable chair. I went to check myself with a mirror to see how things were 'down' there. BIG MISTAKE! Now I feel like every time I sit, it bothers like crazy! My H popped out totally when I went to do #2 last night I hate it! specially because I eat lots of spicy foods

Tomorrow is my PP appt and will do a chiro adjustment. My back is killing me. The baby has a nice sleep pattern that I can handle. Wakes up every 2 hours to nurse but enough for me to get some rest and feed. He is pooping like a maniac though, is this normal? he poops after every feeding, Jesus! Thank goodness I have enough prefolds and handmade fitted, because I would have to be washing every 5 hours or so.

My mood is great and I feel like I have a lot of energy, I have to thank to my placenta pills and the placenta bits I consumed right after birth. The no more bleeding is a plus too. I have to admit that the thought of eating or consuming my placenta in any form was totally yucky when I first heard about it, but after a few readings and researching, and actually DOING IT and see real results, I can't believe I didn't do it with my previous births. IT DOES WORKS!!!!! :

Monique, a friend of mine just gave birth to her 4th child, she didn't get her milk until her 2nd wk. She kept nursing and nursing that's all. Colustrum is great for the baby, you are lucky to still producing it!!!! Use lanosih (sp?) cream for your nipples, I always get a bottle before giving birth cuz I know I'll need it for before my milk comes in.

I been hungry but I am able to manage my hunger by eating small portions and eating frequently. Also adding lots of fruits or raw veggies to my meals help a lot.

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#15 of 17 Old 08-09-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
My bottom is sore, and my middle/upper back hurt from pushing, but not that bad.
OMG KRIS4CHLOE CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! ::

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#16 of 17 Old 08-09-2008, 12:55 AM

From AKA_PI Here are some pictures:

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=005-7.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=010-3.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=006-6.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=012-2.jpg

Aww Monique, he looks so tiny and sweet in that big carseat I'm glad both of you are home and doing well!
#17 of 17 Old 08-09-2008, 01:18 AM

I'm doing fairly well, painwise, but the engorgement is getting to me. I think I am going to get the pump out and try to take some of this pressure off before we go to bed.

Roberta, I did a mirror check today too! Ugh, looks like there's a walnut stuck in my perinium! My sons were mega pooper's too- at every feeding! Ella is going several times a day, but definitely not every feeding. I started using out cloth today because she's done passing the meconium. Loving it! It's so cute to see her big o fluffy butt.

Monique, Kendall is adorable!!!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page