Dumb Questions Abound . . . - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are a couple of dumb questions I've heard this pg - not exactly related to me, but just in conversations.

On homebirthing - "Is that legal?" Um, wth are they going to do to stop you?

On twins (doulasarah, you should appreciate this one) - me to a girl in my playgroup, "D (another friend who's expecting twins) told me they may want to induce her at 37 weeks, but I'm not sure if she's going to do it"
Her, "Will they let you go to 40 weeks with twins?" Um, yes!
#2 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM

I love the, "Have you had the baby yet?" Um...you're standing right in front of me. Do I look like I've had a baby? Why would I be here if I'd had the baby?
#3 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 02:33 PM

The neighbor asks with a worried look two days after ds was born at home "Has he been to see the doctor yet?"

And... last year we moved to a place a bit rural and people are always asking "where was he born?" and I always reply "at home" and they always say " at 'such and such' hospital?" and I clarify "No, at our house" then....a ....big.....pause....and....."OH!" That's usually when the doctor questions start. I'm patient and try to answer kindly, but when ds is crying sometimes I'm NOT SO PATIENT.

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#4 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM

"Can you carry that?" Referring to a bag of groceries.
"Is it ok to pick him up?" Referring to my 10 lb cat.
#5 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 PM

My favorite question (from co-workers no less) that I heard several times this pg was "Oh, you're pregnant. Was it planned?" What? Just because I'm almost 40, and have a 14 yr old, this pregnancy might not have been planned?? When I responded yes to their question, it was always greeted with "Oh, that's good then. Congratulations."

I was always tempted to answer no, that it was a completely unplanned for pregnancy, just to see the expressions on their faces. Never did do it.

Laura wife to Dan , BFing Babywearing RadicalUSing SAHM to my free range kid Craig (12/20/93) and eventual free range kid Danny (8/26/08)
#6 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Don't you just love how nosy people get about your life and your baby? As if you really owe them an explanation, what is it my job to make YOU feel comfortable about MY decision? I'm talking about strangers at the store who ask where you are having the baby and you answer honestly. I have enjoyed some err "stimulating" conversations where they walk away a little more educated but still it's very irritating that EVERYONE thinks you have to explain yourself to THEM. The only opinion I'm concerned about is my hubby's if it bothered him we'd work on it... but I feel like getting a shirt that says,
" Due August 4, 2008
Baby girl
Will be birthed at home
You have the right to ask
2 questions, after that...
do what I did and
LOOK IT UP!"

Think that would be a little too harsh? lol

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#7 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I got that when I was preggo with my son who is almost 5 now, and haven't gotten it once during this pregnancy despite that fact that I still carry him! lol

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#8 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
but I feel like getting a shirt that says,
" Due August 4, 2008
Baby girl
Will be birthed at home
You have the right to ask
2 questions, after that...
do what I did and
LOOK IT UP!"

Think that would be a little too harsh? lol
I love it!

Laura wife to Dan , BFing Babywearing RadicalUSing SAHM to my free range kid Craig (12/20/93) and eventual free range kid Danny (8/26/08)
#9 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
My in-laws have been freaking out over me scooping up my not even 30lbs niece.
#10 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 03:49 PM

I should also mention that my aunt and uncle bought a brand new pool slide just in time for my baby shower/pool party/BBQ. I took off down that bad boy and everyone freaked, except my aunt (she laughed). Uh, I wasn't going down on my belly and my butt was the first thing to hit the water. What's the problem? I also scared people when I dove in head first "Aren't you worried that your belly is gonna hit the bottom of the pool?" My belly's not that big people! I should have done a cannon ball off the diving board just to see their faces.

I have paranoid relatives.
#11 of 20 Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 PM

Hehe, you should have seen the look on my mom's face when I did dance dance revolution the other day

HAH!! I shall dance you out baby! LOL

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#12 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
Hehe, you should have seen the look on my mom's face when I did dance dance revolution the other day

HAH!! I shall dance you out baby! LOL
From what I've been reading, belly dancing was originally intended as a way to show birthing mothers how to move their hips during labor, to put the baby in proper position for birth. So yeah, you could dance the baby out... DDR is definitely one way to do it.

#13 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jule924 View Post
On homebirthing - "Is that legal?" Um, wth are they going to do to stop you?
It's not legal in some states. At least not for a midwife to attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
I love the, "Have you had the baby yet?" Um...you're standing right in front of me. Do I look like I've had a baby? Why would I be here if I'd had the baby?
I heard that one said to a woman even bigger than I am the other day. WTH people, are you friggin' blind...her belly is out to HERE. I don't think she had him and then put him back in!

Quote:
I got that a lot with both pregnancies. Heaven forbid I try to carry a few bags of french fries at work.
#14 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 01:33 AM

While chasing my 17 mo ds through the mall laughing and having a grand ol' time: "You know how that happens right..." shaking his head sadly at my belly.:

I calmly replied "Yep, and we sure are good at it!" with a wicked grin and a wink that may have the old man in emergency.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#15 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 AM

While talking about going swimming, "OMG. Are you allowed to do that? Cant it harm the baby?!"

Uh yea. Babies hate being surronded with water.

While holding my two year old, "Hes going to have to learn to do without you soon. You shouldnt hold him so much. What are you going to do when Kate comes?????"

Um ok. I will totally abondon him when my new baby comes.

And my all time fave question EVER. Every time I see my Grandma (which is every day) "Honey how are you feeling?! When will your doctor finally let you be done?! " (this is followed by a look of sympathy) OMG Grandma. Same as yesterday. Still pregnant. And baby will come when shes ready. Thanks.

*sigh*
#16 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I get the call from mil daily now - "How are you feeling?" In other words, "Are you in labour yet?" No, and you would be the first to know because YOU'RE the ONE who's watching my kids!!! (I do love her to death, but sheesh!)

And about carrying the groceries - they should see me carry my 4 yo to bed every night!

This is one I love - "What are you having?" - me, "A girl" - them, "Oh, you got your girl!!! (with a HUGE smile and knowing look) - as if I had a choice in the matter! Honestly lady, this one is a surprise and I would have been perfectly happy with another boy.
#17 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 10:17 AM

I get this one all the time since we have 2 boys. People are so excited asking "did you get your girl", and I say "no another boy for us" and they get so disappointed saying to try again. Like there's some rule women can't be happy with 3 of the same sex, or the universe has slighted me somehow :

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
#18 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 AM

When a friend of mine was pregnant with her third girl, someone told her "Oh, you're going to have to get your DH a dog." :

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#19 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
When a friend of mine was pregnant with her third girl, someone told her "Oh, you're going to have to get your DH a dog." :
Oh yuck!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#20 of 20 Old 08-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
This is my favorite too . . . at work it seems like everyone comes up to me "You haven't had the baby yet?" or I love "when are you going to have a baby?"

People, I'm working to keep my mind off not having the baby yet! And no, if I'm standing here still pregnant then I have not had the baby yet!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page