Breastfeeding your Newborn - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicalynne View Post
But luckily i have a 1 1/2 year old to help after baby is done.
I'm so jealous! I have considered calling a friend and asking to borrow her toddler!
I think the worst of it is over now though.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#32 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 PM

I am past engorgment now, yay! I had to pump 1 oz out 2x yesterday and I did cabbage leaves once & cold compress once. Feeling much better now.

County LC did a home visit today (free!) and weighed E before & after nursing. She only nursed on one side and took in 1.4 ozs. She is within an once of her birth weight now, at 6 days old. After struggling to nurse both of my sons initially, I can not express how freaking happy I am to have a baby that gets it from the beginning. It's a whole new experience for me.

For those of you that are struggling, I hope things start to improve soon! Breastfeeding is a learning experience for mother and baby and also one that requires a lot of faith. The rewards are so worthwhile in the long run.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#33 of 55 Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 AM

Obviously, not nursing a newborn here yet, but I just had to share that I expressed a few drops of colostrum from my right side just now. I can't wait to finally meet my little one!!
#34 of 55 Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 AM

My little dd3 has been a bf champ from the get-go...I guess 3rd time's the charm. She just started projectile spit-up, tho', and once it was bright yellow. I'm 99% it's caused by dairy. Ev. time it's after I've had ice cream, chocolate, or half n half. Sigh.
#35 of 55 Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

I have been paying closer attention to my babes poo and it seems to me that it has mucus in it. It is yellow, seedy and also has globs of what I am describing as mucus. If you fold the diaper together with the poo in it and then unfold it the mucusy bits stick together and streatch between the two sides of the diaper untiil they eventually break. Does that make sense? Is that normal? Logic is telling me that it is not. My first child has a dairy in tolerance so I am thinking this could be the same thing. what do you galls think?

THANKS

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#36 of 55 Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks for all the advice. i took today off on breastfeeding so I'm going to try and pump tonight. Maybe he'll take it all then. Thanks again.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#37 of 55 Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
I have been paying closer attention to my babes poo and it seems to me that it has mucus in it. It is yellow, seedy and also has globs of what I am describing as mucus. If you fold the diaper together with the poo in it and then unfold it the mucusy bits stick together and streatch between the two sides of the diaper untiil they eventually break. Does that make sense? Is that normal? Logic is telling me that it is not. My first child has a dairy in tolerance so I am thinking this could be the same thing. what do you galls think?

THANKS
totally normal!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#38 of 55 Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
Hi Monique,

I totally understand the situation you are going through right now with what really does sound like nipple confusion; my last DD ended up with it REALLY severely! You have received a lot of good advice here but if you need to talk to someone who has lived though it and become a wealth of knowledge on how to deal with the situation since we failed at getting her back to the breast I am here to chat. Just PM me. (You can read my signature for a bit of our story.)

The biggest offer of advice I can give in how to get your babe to the breast exclusively is TOSS the BOTTLES!!! NO artificial nipples (passifiers, bottles). Babies are SMART, really really SMART they learn fast that the bottle is easy and very consistly supplies milk with NO work. When the breast is offered as a subsitute to the bottle they don't like it cause it requires work and does not always stream milk. That is very hard to compete with so you need to toss the bottles so that the ONLY place to fufully their NEED to suck will be at the breast. That insitince in a very young baby is very primal and is on your side to get your babe to the breast.

KEEP your head up! you can do this, just commit to the very hard few days you will have without the bottle, your babe will be upset but in the long run it is for the good of everyone involved. !!!!!
TOTALLY :

#39 of 55 Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM

Breastfeeding for us has been an up hill battle. Within the first few days I had cracked nipples, a blocked duck, and MASSIVE engorgement. I was given nipple shields and I use them, but struggle with "having" to use them. I feel like I am some how inadequate for not being able to "teach" my baby how to nurse without a plastic fake "nipple" covering my own. DH could not understand who I was so upset and feeling like I was somehow inadequate over a piece of plastic...but he is a man and just does not get it.

All in all....we only ever did one bottle though through it all. Made a HUGE mistake of on a real fussy day giving a pacifier and it was a breastfeeding disaster for about 24 hours after that as she could not coordinate nursing. She really struggle with breastfeeding so no more nipples other then mine and the nipple shield for atleast another month.

I am happy as a clam though because we are slowly weaning away from the nipple shield...I would say we are at 50/50 right now...but for some reason she really struggles to nurse on the left side without it...and her latch still stinks so it is kinda painful for me...but we are plugging along and we will make it!!
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#40 of 55 Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 PM

Just wanted to chare that breastfeeding has been going well for us overall. Natalie fought the breast at the beginning of every feeding and seemed to have a hard time settling down to nurse. I started feeding her very often so that she was never starving and had dh help me hold back her little hands until she was latched on well.

I also struggled to find a position that worked with my g cup breast. My fav by far is side-lying. It's great because I don't have to support the weight of my breast and she doesn't have to try as hard to stay latched on. We co-sleep so it also means that I can nurse without waking fully.

At Natalie's one weekk ped. appt. she was at her birth weight! We are thrilled that things are going so well.

''''

#41 of 55 Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Mine is only 11 hours old, but I think it's going well. The afterpains aren't as bad as after my second (whew!), and I'm trying to be more conscientious about putting lanolin on after every session. I forgot last time (thinking my nips were used to it from nursing my first- not so!), and OUCH. It took over a week to fix my poor, blistered nipples from slacking on lanolin for just 3 days. She keeps trying to slip onto just the nipple, but we're working on it.
#42 of 55 Old 08-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempmama View Post
Mine is only 11 hours old, but I think it's going well. The afterpains aren't as bad as after my second (whew!), and I'm trying to be more conscientious about putting lanolin on after every session. I forgot last time (thinking my nips were used to it from nursing my first- not so!), and OUCH. It took over a week to fix my poor, blistered nipples from slacking on lanolin for just 3 days. She keeps trying to slip onto just the nipple, but we're working on it.
:Congratulations: I am envious......Mr. J was fussy and impatient (like his father) and it took a bit of time for him to calm down and wait for the milk.
#43 of 55 Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 AM

AKA - my first son was like this (we had latch issues and had to use a nipple shield). What I found that helped, even though he screamed, was massaging the breast until I was expressing milk, THEN latching him on so it was more about instantaneous gratification (like getting the bottle). Really warm compresses and massaging the aerola area until it wrinkled helped express the milk quicker. good luck!

Baker - that sounds normal. DS1 has a dairy allergy and it was green mucousy diapers. It looked like the stuff that blew out of your nose, but in his diaper instead. Yellow is good!

DS2 is 6 days old and is a quick nurser. He's on the breast 5, 10 minutes tops and is done (and usually only on one side). I'm not concerned about weight gain, as he'd regained his birth weight by monday (he was born last thursday), but OMG the engorgement pain from the other side is about killing me. Besides cabbage leaves and hand expressing, what else can I do?!

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#44 of 55 Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 AM

Yea! My plugged ducts are gone.

Now I'm trying to figure something else out. Ivy will root and suck on her hands like she wants to nurse but when I give her my nipple she will just hold it in her mouth and not suck. She still nurses plenty other times. I'm just not sure what this is about.
I'm a third time mom and LLL leader but I still get stumped sometimes!

#45 of 55 Old 08-14-2008, 12:49 AM

Joining this crew finally! I am REALLY REALLY hoping to make this breastfeeding relationship work after a near starving disaster with my DD. I am going to be monitoring much more closely this time around, but Ethan seems to get latching and staying on much better than his sister. She was a distracted nurser and I could never get her to eat for more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time, no matter WHAT I tried. Ethan on the other hand seems content to stay on for a long time, just relaxing and eating. YEAH!

He is having some spit up issues and back arching though. I am making an appt with the chiropractor ASAP to get him adjusted and hope that helps. I am trying to burp him more often now, but he is at his day 2 sleepies, so he isn't nursing as vigorously, but he will come out of that. He is still tired from a long, intense labor..but all in all, we are doing good so far! :

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#46 of 55 Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
He is having some spit up issues and back arching though. I am making an appt with the chiropractor ASAP to get him adjusted and hope that helps. I am trying to burp him more often now, but he is at his day 2 sleepies, so he isn't nursing as vigorously, but he will come out of that. He is still tired from a long, intense labor..but all in all, we are doing good so far! :
so funny you mention this, but we are having the same problems... I know my baby had to be turned a bit during delivery and my MW told me to have him checked by my chiro. I'll take him Friday.

#47 of 55 Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Gannon was born 8/11/08 at 11:11 pm (9.2 lbs, 22 in long and 1 week overdue) a wonderful birth at a birth center here in Anchorage.

He latched right on after he was born and has been nursing ever since. My milk came in yesterday afternoon (quick!). I had to pump most of Monday to get my labor going because it kept stalling out and I didn't want to have to go the the hospital (my water broke early monday AM and I was GSB +) so I'm thinking that might have helped my milk come in so quickly - I was getting a lot of colostrum Monday.

I wish you all the best with nursing your babies.

**Human Milk for Human Babies!**
Mother to 6 yr-old DD (my little actress!) 1.5 yr-old DS (my spirited little dude). Wife to bestest DH!
#48 of 55 Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Hi everyone, I posted this as a separate thread and then saw this one...

I've been reading Monique's postpartum threads to see if anyone has encountered this issue (by the way, Congrats to Monique on getting K. to stay on the b! That is great and must be a relief to you).

I was wondering if anyone else here is having issues with spit up with their newborn.

My sweet boy is a mellow fellow who has been beyond easy (from what I hear from friends, he is my first). His only "issue" is that he spits up A LOT. Thankfully it does not cause him pain and seems to just be spit up--not reflux or projectile vomiting. However, I just feel awful when he loses all that milk ( I know that it looks like a lot more than it is...but still)and gets his neck "washed" in milk...And I'm not going to lie, it would be nice not to have to change his clothes so often!!!

I have tried going to one-breast feeding and I think it's helping, but I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. I also have put his bassinett at an angle, use the bounce chair A LOT to keep him upright, and try to hold him upright after feeding at least 10 minutes before putting him in either the bounce seat, or in the angled bassinett... The biggest spit up issues seem to happen after his first morning feeding (the one right before we "get up for the day"), so I'm wondering if it has to do with moving him around, changing after this feeding. I don't think it's that the milk is too fast or full, bc as the day goes on the spit up lessens...and the time btw feedings is pretty even thru.out the day---I'm feeding on demand, but he usually goes about 2.5-3 hours. Any advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well.

R
#49 of 55 Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River7 View Post
Hi everyone, I posted this as a separate thread and then saw this one...

My sweet boy is a mellow fellow who has been beyond easy (from what I hear from friends, he is my first). His only "issue" is that he spits up A LOT. Thankfully it does not cause him pain and seems to just be spit up--not reflux or projectile vomiting. However, I just feel awful when he loses all that milk ( I know that it looks like a lot more than it is...but still)and gets his neck "washed" in milk...And I'm not going to lie, it would be nice not to have to change his clothes so often!!!

I have tried going to one-breast feeding and I think it's helping, but I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. I also have put his bassinett at an angle, use the bounce chair A LOT to keep him upright, and try to hold him upright after feeding at least 10 minutes before putting him in either the bounce seat, or in the angled bassinett... The biggest spit up issues seem to happen after his first morning feeding (the one right before we "get up for the day"), so I'm wondering if it has to do with moving him around, changing after this feeding. I don't think it's that the milk is too fast or full, bc as the day goes on the spit up lessens...and the time btw feedings is pretty even thru.out the day---I'm feeding on demand, but he usually goes about 2.5-3 hours. Any advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well.

R
Hmm..do you have over active let down? It might be worse in the morning because your breasts are the fullest and he's gulping air as well as milk hence the spit up. Have you tried feeding him at an incline, or in different positions to see if it helps? Also, are you burping him a lot? That might help with the spit up issue as well. Those are my thoughts, hope you find a solution soon!

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#50 of 55 Old 08-17-2008, 02:37 AM

dd actually spits up more if she's moved upright after eating.

I've got the same issue this time as last time and that's oversupply. I know it may not seem like a problem for those dealing with low supply. Luckily I have a plan to help me deal with it. Oversupply can cause me a lot of pain because my breasts, especially the right one, become over full and it feels like engorgement all over again. Each night I pump off about 4oz in less than 5 minutes from the right one. My plan is to keep some in the freezer for dd "just in case" and donate the rest. I was able to give my milk to a friend's dd last time and it was so appreciated. I'm glad this drippy, painful problem can help another baby at least!

#51 of 55 Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM

No milk yet at just under 48 hours - come on milk! Latch is great and strong once I get her on. She seems pretty happy still, but I'm eager to get her some fat on!

She's spitty, too, but the ped. at the hosp. didn't seem too concerned. She'll see her ped. tomorrow for a wt. check. My 2nd spit up a LOT, too.
#52 of 55 Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 PM

I have another blocked duct, now on the right side. What the hell?

I was trying to feed every two hours but Jack's not having that. He eats every three which is fine with me. I woke up only once last night and didn't have to fight him to eat. I fed at midnight, 3AM, got up at 6:30 and stayed up. yay
#53 of 55 Old 08-17-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I have another blocked duct, now on the right side. What the hell?
try varying the positions you hold him while nursing to properly drain all ducts.

#54 of 55 Old 08-17-2008, 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=not now;11966635 I fed at midnight, 3AM, got up at 6:30 and stayed up. yay[/QUOTE]

Jack and Kendall must be on the same schedule because those are the times I'm up too. Like Megan, kendall will root and try to eat his hand, but once I put the nipple in his mouth, he sucks or chews on it and spits it out. I'm sticking it out.

Alathia, I've tried the pumping and expressing the milk but he still doesn't want it. I'm going to keep trying though. Tomorrow is another day.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#55 of 55 Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Yea! My plugged ducts are gone.

Now I'm trying to figure something else out. Ivy will root and suck on her hands like she wants to nurse but when I give her my nipple she will just hold it in her mouth and not suck. She still nurses plenty other times. I'm just not sure what this is about.
I'm a third time mom and LLL leader but I still get stumped sometimes!
Not sure if anyone responded to this yet, but Seraphim has done this a few times. I believe it is all about being close... After having Seraphim the placenta was taking time to detach completely and hubby thought I was bleeding too much (it had been an hour and tried massaging and some breastfeeding, she latched right away but I was unable to move into a comfy position and handed her off to my mom against little Seraphim's wishes) and the paramedics were called, while getting me to sit on the chair to be taken down the steps it detached. I felt great but they insisted on taking me anyways. Anyways I was gone for about 3 hours and when I came home she fussed and was put to the breast and she just wanted to look at me. She did this the rest of the day (must've gotten filled up just before popping out ) Two days later I began to feel very out of sorts and was taken my paramedics to the hospital again found out I was anemic and my levels were 8.8... again I was away from her for about 3 or 4 hours and even though she was filled with formula when I got home, hearing my voice she got fussy again and once at the breast just watched me.
She knows she should be next to me and cuddled with me at the breast and I think sometimes she just longs to be close...
Anyways that's what I think (she hasn't done this since I've been strictly breastfeeding the past couple days).

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page