Breastfeeding your Newborn - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought this could be a good place for anyone to ask questions or just talk about how the BFing is going with your NB. So how is it going for everyone?

We are 2 weeks today and it has been "an experience"!!! But she is currently EBF and I am thrilled. The first week was REALLY hard but now it is getting much better pain wise. Currently she is really fussy at the breast and it started about 3 or 4 days ago. Poping on and off and just in general not being happy there. I think it has to do with my Over active letdown but it is really hard to tell. I just keep putting her back on. It is frustrating for both of us. But is seems like she is pooing and peeing enough so I try not to worry.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#2 of 55 Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM

W00t! Have you checked Kellymom and the breastfeeding issues forum for how to tell if there's overactive letdown and what to try? Sounds like you two are doing just fine anyway, but might be nice not to have that frustration. Oh! And any chance that she's needing to poop/pee when she does that? The EC folks say that popping on and off is something they noticed being connected to having to eliminate.
#3 of 55 Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 PM

2 weeks is very typical for this sort of reaction. It is growth spurt behaviour. She is doing this to get your body to start producing more before she starts growing. Just go with the flow, keep up your fluid intake and nurse her how ever often she wants.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
#4 of 55 Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 PM

I'm just at day 3 now but having really bad engorgement issues here. Baby is nursing almost always on the right side since the left nipple is flat - the nipple shield I'm using is huge in her mouth so I'm not sure what to do. Getting really engorged on the left side, pumping but not much is coming out for some reason.

I don't remember any engorgement with my son and the new baby seems to be nursing even more than he did - every two hours at least and lasting up to 45 mins or more even... any ideas?
#5 of 55 Old 08-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
We are 2 weeks today and it has been "an experience"!!! But she is currently EBF and I am thrilled. The first week was REALLY hard but now it is getting much better pain wise. Currently she is really fussy at the breast and it started about 3 or 4 days ago. Poping on and off and just in general not being happy there. I think it has to do with my Over active letdown but it is really hard to tell. I just keep putting her back on. It is frustrating for both of us. But is seems like she is pooing and peeing enough so I try not to worry.
Dd did as you describe. I had a really quick/strong letdown reflex and TONS of milk. Poor thing had a hard time keeping up for awhile. It can be frustrating, but it sounds normal (at least from my perspective of what you describe.). I hadn't though of the ec connection. This could also be something to check out. (or air in the tummy).

You're doing a great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1972 View Post
I'm just at day 3 now but having really bad engorgement issues here. Baby is nursing almost always on the right side since the left nipple is flat - the nipple shield I'm using is huge in her mouth so I'm not sure what to do. Getting really engorged on the left side, pumping but not much is coming out for some reason.

I don't remember any engorgement with my son and the new baby seems to be nursing even more than he did - every two hours at least and lasting up to 45 mins or more even... any ideas?
Is your nipple very flat? My mw suggested not using a shield to draw my nipple out and to rather let baby dra it out, they're good at it . Try and nurse on the flat side as often as possible. did your son nurse fine on that side?

can't wait to join you guys!!

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#6 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 01:04 AM

NAK-ing

Our dd is 3 1/2 days old too and I am in engorgement city!!! OH MY! She doesn't have any problems latching on, but just isn't pulling enough out each time to lessen the swelling. She sleeps like crazy, too, so I wish she'd nurse more frequently. I am taking her in for a weight check tomorrow afternoon and if she isn't gaining I am going to be more aggressive at waking her to eat. She's a great little nurser, she's just so small that she isn't eating a lot at a time.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#7 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 01:29 AM

Don't forget the chilled cabbage leaves for sore engorged breasts and nipples! They rock!

Good for you ladies, keep up the great work!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#8 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Don't forget the chilled cabbage leaves for sore engorged breasts and nipples! They rock!

So, just for future reference, do you cook the cabbage first? Or use chilled crispy cabbage?
#9 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 02:10 AM

Chilled crispy ones, Kirsten. They get cooked in your bra, ha ha ha!

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#10 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post

Good for you ladies, keep up the great work!
But don't do this if you are at all concerned about supply.

You can also get in a warm/hot shower and hand express just until you let down. That will allow just a bit off to relieve pressure without affecting your supply.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#11 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 AM

I find hot showers been worse for me they get bigger instantly as soon as the hot water hits my breasts. DH filled up the tub for me with cold water the other day (also because my vulva needed cold water) and I hand expressed the breasts for a while, wow! it felt a lot better than the hot water I first took. Then every time I breastfeed and put cold packs right after. It calms down my swollen breasts :

I have to admit that I love my big boobs

I honestly try to avoid cabbage leaves, I don't really want my milk to go away even though I know I will never have that problem but I won't take any chances. I just keep nursing, nursing, nursing.

I highly recommend everyone to get a little bottle of Lansinoh at least just for the beginning. It help with sore nipples and baby won't even taste it. It has saved me with my 3 babies!

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#12 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Im on day 5 and my milk still hasn't come in. Not even colostrum. I keep trying to put him on the breast and his has great sucking and all but nothing comes out. I try for abou 5-7 min on each but he gets so frustrated and hungry that I have to give him formula. Even pumping doesn't get the milk to come in. My boobs are pretty sore today so maybe their fillingup? My mom told me to hang in there and keep trying.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#13 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 01:43 PM

you usually don't notice colostrum coming out.

Have you talked to La Leche League yet?

#14 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Monique I agree. You need to contact LLL right away and/or a lactation consultant. It might be beneficial at this point to get an SNS so that at least baby is at the breast while getting the formula. You can not notice colostrum, and the baby is going to be a MUCH better way of getting your milk to come in. The pump is not nearly as beneficial.

If you can get him to stay on the breast for long lengths of time that will help.
#15 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM

I just wanted to confirm that with colostrum I never actually notice it. Also, my milk didn't actually come in until day 4 or 5.
On the sore nipple subject, mine are finally not making me cringe during latching on and it's been 2 weeks now! Man oh man, with my first two kids I was on pain killers for weeks afterwards and I didn't realize that along with killing the pain from the csection & other trauma that they killed the nipple pain. Well, now I know. Breastfeeding is not such an easy start sometimes, but well worth it in the end :

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#16 of 55 Old 08-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Yay! I am a happy momma now! Ella is gaining weight AND her bili levels are down! She was 6 lbs 7 oz when we left the hospital and today she is up to 6 lbs 11 oz. Not a huge gain, but it's in the right direction. Oh and before her bili level was 11.5 and today it was 9.1, so no worries there! I can't believe this little girl has done the absolute opposite of what the dr's expected due to our isoimmunity issues. My baby rocks!

#17 of 55 Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Wondering how many wet & Poopy diapers your babe is having on a daily basis? My babe (who is 2wks) is having between 8-12 soppy wet diapers and 4-7poopy diapers. Also does your babe have EXPLOSIVE poops. I can hear it from across the house, seriously they are so loud!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it is normal but wow they sound devastating from such a small being.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#18 of 55 Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 PM

Monique! Maybe try these folks, too.

http://www.breastfeedingatlanta.com/

Hang in there mama, and keep trying!

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#19 of 55 Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 PM

Milk is definitely in (came in on day 5 going into day 6) but he doesn't stay latched on. I've tried everything, checked every site. I'm pumping but I'm getting next to nothing out. I'll keep trying to put him on both and see if he can stay on for at least a minute but now it's more like 30 seconds and that's it. As soon as I give him the bottle he goes for the gusto. This kid was a helluva latch when he's on the breast.

I've gotten a few suggestions on how to get him on there and stay but others are welcomed.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#20 of 55 Old 08-10-2008, 10:31 PM

Monique it sounds to me like he has nipple confusion, or more so nipple preference. He doesn't want to work as hard on your breast since it is so easy from the bottle. I suggest if he wont stay on is to try to get ahold of an SNS (supplemental nursing system). SNS at Medela

this will give him the expressed breastmilk he wants without having to be patient, but will have him working on his latch and his sucking will increase your milk supply and eventually you can do away with the sns. but to make it work you will have to ban the bottle.

I highly recommend contacting someone from La Leche League, you do not have to be a member and you do not have to pay, they will help you though this. I know what you are going through, I went through it with my first and ultimately gave up to formula. But it can be reversed but you need the support and tools to do it.

Here are some links on nipple confusion: Nipple Confusion at Breastfeeding.com
Ask Dr Sears - Nipple Confusion
Dealing with Nipple Confusion

I hope this all helps.
#21 of 55 Old 08-10-2008, 10:34 PM

I've got some very painful clogged ducts. Hoping to ward off mastitis.

#22 of 55 Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 PM

I've got a blister on the left side that is killing me. It's so hard to nurse on that side. Reading kellysmom and dr. jack. So far I'm nursing the uninjured side first, so she's not as powerful on the hurt side, nursing on it as long as I can stand (which is just barely a few minutes), and then trying to pump to relieve some of the engorgement.

Kellysmom says something about epsom salts? I'll have to go read it again. I'm really hoping to get through this quickly as the pain right now is a lot to take on top of a pinched nerve, incision pain, and other recovery issues.

The right side is going great by the way. She's got a fabulous latch, I'm so proud of her. I really don't know why I got a blister on the left. It's a bummer. It isn't the pump because I just bought that tonight realizing that I wasn't emptying the breast nearly enough due to the pain. She's gaining so well and getting a nice triple chin!

Encouragement to everyone. If I remember correctly, holding on to 6 weeks is key. Once you hit 6 weeks, most issues are resolved or at least greatly improved.
#23 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerALM View Post
Wondering how many wet & Poopy diapers your babe is having on a daily basis? My babe (who is 2wks) is having between 8-12 soppy wet diapers and 4-7poopy diapers. Also does your babe have EXPLOSIVE poops. I can hear it from across the house, seriously they are so loud!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it is normal but wow they sound devastating from such a small being.
Sounds good mama! This was our exact situation with ds! We ruined our comforter because he shot poop across the bed several times!
Congrats!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#24 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
I've got a blister on the left side that is killing me. It's so hard to nurse on that side. Reading kellysmom and dr. jack. So far I'm nursing the uninjured side first, so she's not as powerful on the hurt side, nursing on it as long as I can stand (which is just barely a few minutes), and then trying to pump to relieve some of the engorgement.
Try switching to a football hold on that side, so that baby's upper lip is pressing on the opposite side of the blister. I would try epsom salts in a bath and just warm compresses and lansinoh. Those suckers hurt.
#25 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Where do you get lansinoh? At the pharmacy? Is it with the lotions?
#26 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM

I have seen it at most pharmacies in the baby supplies department (even some grocery stores). We got some at Target (if you have one) and I know you can order it online from drugstore.com
If you don't use it all save it for lanolizing your wool diapers

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#27 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 05:58 PM

DD finally learned to latch on and she is doing great now. She's just going through a growth spurt so eating all the time.

afro.jpg Chelci partners.gif Anthony, parents to: kid.gif E- 11/2006,energy.gif A- 07/2008, and babyf.gifBaby #3 due Aug. 2014.

A Few Facts About Our Familynamaste.gif  intactlact.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#28 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Hi Monique, I also want to suggest to try nursing when he isn't hungry. When he is calm, just snuggle up topless and if he finds the breast great, if not offer and see what happens. You could try a warm bath with him too. I would just try to remain topless as much as possible! I also feel like it sounds like nipple confusion/preference. Keeping yourself calm too is essential. Maybe some rescue remedy or some tea while you guys are giving it a go. You are doing great!

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#29 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Monique,

I totally understand the situation you are going through right now with what really does sound like nipple confusion; my last DD ended up with it REALLY severely! You have received a lot of good advice here but if you need to talk to someone who has lived though it and become a wealth of knowledge on how to deal with the situation since we failed at getting her back to the breast I am here to chat. Just PM me. (You can read my signature for a bit of our story.)

The biggest offer of advice I can give in how to get your babe to the breast exclusively is TOSS the BOTTLES!!! NO artificial nipples (passifiers, bottles). Babies are SMART, really really SMART they learn fast that the bottle is easy and very consistly supplies milk with NO work. When the breast is offered as a subsitute to the bottle they don't like it cause it requires work and does not always stream milk. That is very hard to compete with so you need to toss the bottles so that the ONLY place to fufully their NEED to suck will be at the breast. That insitince in a very young baby is very primal and is on your side to get your babe to the breast.

KEEP your head up! you can do this, just commit to the very hard few days you will have without the bottle, your babe will be upset but in the long run it is for the good of everyone involved. !!!!!

#30 of 55 Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Baby is 6 days now. I had to trust i had colostrum since i didnt see it. Milk came in friday.....ouch. But luckily i have a 1 1/2 year old to help after baby is done. Mr. J is so fussy and impatient. If milk doesnt let down yesterday he gets mad. He is a bit better today but i notice he is constantly wanting to snuggle and nurse. I know he is getting milk because he is having alot of poops and wet diapers, and looks like a milk vampire when he is done from the milk dribbling. I think he is just trying to increase my milk supply from what nurses said. He was terrible for latching well and then moving his mouth down to the nipple but has improved alot. I second the lanisoh....saved me in the early days with dd1 and dd2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page