so I went to L&D because I was having contractions 5 min apart... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You probably remember I live pretty far from the hospital (I've mentioned it like a million times because it stresses me out!). Last night at about 8pm I noticed I was having contractions that were more painful and crampy than they have been. By 10pm I noticed they were about 6-7 minutes apart. We left at about 11:30 and on the way they were 4-5 minutes apart.

Checked into L&D, got hooked up to the monitors...confirmed contractions about 5 minutes apart. Got a cervix check and I was still 2 just like the last 3 weeks. After 2 hours of monitoring the contractions fizzled out to about 15 minutes apart.

What's up with that? : They were definitely real, and they were definitely 5 minutes apart for more than an hour which was my cue to head in. Then they just went away. I've had very few today.

Did the full moon irritate my uterus or something? I'm so confused. The nurse said it was just a painful practice run and the real thing would soon be coming. *sigh* I just wanted that to be it so I could stop worrying about living so far from the hospital!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 PM

That happened to me last night exactly, and I decided to go for a walk to see if they'd continue, but then they died out :/

I almost called my doc too, but I am glad I didn't because-nothing.

I understand

SAHM Amber 24      DH Chris 26     DS Aiden  3  BFP for Christmas!!   25****30****35baby.gif***40!! 8/30 It's a stork-girl.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Hi Rach,
I could not labor at the hospital...my body just couldn't do it, so last time I ended up induced. Maybe your body just didn't feel safe. Meditate on a healthy safe hospital birth and maybe next time will be quick and easy.
Thinking of you (as I have more random ctx).
Heather

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#4 of 6 Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 PM

Similar event happened to me 4 weeks ago and still no baby. :

I think my uterus was irritated for some reason and I was really nervous so that intensified them.. then as soon as I was checked by my MW they disappeared and I haven't had any regular contractions since.

I'm sure that you wont be waiting for 4 more weeks still, though.

It is really frustrating, . Hang in there!

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#5 of 6 Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I'm actually excited because this hospital is very natural minded and much less induction/C sec happy than the last one I gave birth in. I was induced, it was terrible. Assembly line hospital. This new one has hydro therapy tubs and balance bars so you can use birthing balls and things! Maybe my mind remembers the bad experience, though.

I think my nerves made the contractions worse...I'm really freaked about being so far from the hospital. Maybe we should rent a hotel room, LOL!

Now I'm scared that I'm not going to know whether to go in or not.

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 AM

Hi Rachel,

I've been having the same experience several times a week for several weeks. I'll have contractions consistently 4 minutes or less apart for a couple of hours or more. I've called my mw twice to come over. She comes by and checks me and finds that I'm not ready. Mostly, I just let them peter out on their own without me calling her. My mw is joling that she's going to move in with us because she worries we won't call her in time. It's extremely trying of my patience. But at least I'm trying to look at it as my body and mind getting extra practice, so it's not going to waste.

Even though we're hbing, I decided to hire a doula who can help me decide whether to call my mw. I feel like I could bug my doula more that my care provider about this. And if I were birthing in hospital, this is exactly what I'd do too. So, I suggest you find a doula, if you don't already have one. Your doula can help you decide whether you need to head for hospital, so you won't have to worry about it. Not to mention the many benefits of having a doula help you through labor. It's not too late to find one. Our original doula has become unavailable and we managed to find and interview one today that both dh and I love.

hth.
Zoie

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page