MY brain is fried...when am I supposed to take the baby in to see the ped? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it was 72 hours to have the pediatrician check her out (mostly I just want him to listen to the heart) and the to the lab for a pku.

I can't remember. 72 hours after birth seems harsh on the momma. I can barely walk straight. My milk (well the creamy style milk ha!) has just come in. My nipples are cracked and hurting. I am still contracting...and I need to take her in.?

For pete's sake I am on my baby moon. I have relatives coming in tomorrow (lots of relatives) the house is a mess. I have only eaten cookies today!!! and if you couldn't tell my hormones are starting to go crazy!!

Not only that but a couple of church gals (God bless their hearts) dropped by this morning (unannouced) to bring me flowers. The house was a mess, I am still in pj's and the kids were beating each other up.....Calgon take me away.
#2 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM

I would wait at least 4 or 5 days for the PKU. You need either 24 or 48 hours of milk, I forget which, for accurate results.
#3 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM

You had a uc right? Do you know of a mw that might visit you in your home?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#4 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM

2-4 weeks is good, I've been told. My midwife did the intial check, a one week and a two weeks. She can also do the PKU.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 PM

My son's PKU was done at 2 weeks by my mw. His first (and only) pediatrician visit was at 2 1/2 years old. We had no need for medical care before then, or since.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#6 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM

My mw told me the PKU is better 3 days after delivery, but we didn't do that. We don't even have a ped yet. We are planning our first ped visit at 2 yo since we are starting 'some' vax at that age. Our mw did the first newborn check up, 1st. week and will do 2nd wk this coming Sat. The only thing we are doing is chiro adjustments

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#7 of 14 Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 PM

Natalie's first visit to the pediatrician was on day 6. We really just wanted the newborn screening, but it was nice to have her weighed also. THe doc said the newborn screening can be done anytime. Even months afer the birth. I see no need to rush if it is inconvienient.

''''

#8 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 AM

My midwife did the PKU testing at day 6. It went wonderful at home, I was able to nurse him and he made a tiny cry and then continued nursing!

We were planning to take him to the ped around 2 mos old, but may wait since we will not be vaccinating until 2 yrs old.

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

#9 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 02:17 PM

My ped wants to see the baby at 3-5 days. They asked me to call the day we get out of the hospital to schedule the appointment. We have to go back in at 2 weeks.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#10 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 02:30 PM

We don't vaccinate so that changes our schedule some.

I just called and to make her appointment so we are set just before she turns a month old. I wanted a first thing appointment so I wouldn't have to wait with the big kids or expose them to sick people.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#11 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 PM

Your baby should be seen by someone the first week you are home regardless of vaccines or no vaccines....absolutely!

I am suprised no one has contacted you. My midwife was right on top of making sure I had a pedi set up before delivery. I would definitely check in with your pediatrician or midwife to see when they want to see you.

I met with my nurse practitioner for baby today...she said sometimes they want to see them the day after, depending on if baby was jaundiced...etc. Definitely check with someone.

I don't know, I'm a nurse..so I guess I would just feel better knowing exactly what my midwife wanted me to do. Better to be safe.
#12 of 14 Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymamma View Post
Your baby should be seen by someone the first week you are home regardless of vaccines or no vaccines....absolutely!

why?

Our mw checks the baby after they are born, or if you give birth in a hospital, they check the baby before you leave. There is no rush for an appt after that, unless you feel something is wrong....and a mama can usually tell. Take it easy, there is no rush. The pku test doesnt need to be done right away either.
#13 of 14 Old 08-23-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexysmommy View Post
why?

Our mw checks the baby after they are born, or if you give birth in a hospital, they check the baby before you leave. There is no rush for an appt after that, unless you feel something is wrong....and a mama can usually tell. Take it easy, there is no rush. The pku test doesnt need to be done right away either.
:

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#14 of 14 Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 AM

Everyone is different I guess.
I am a naturalist, but I am also a nurse...I've seen what can go wrong so I suppose I tend to be hypervigilent (plus, I've got the first time mom thing going on).
I don't feel there is any need for intervention if not needed, but all my care providers are very down to earth..some have worked in third world countries...I trust them...so I thought i would pass on what they have told me They tell me it is good for me to get checked out as well, but I suppose if you have done this before....it's different the 2nd...3rd....4th time.

Good luck with all your little ones at home! It must be a challenge! Enjoy new baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page