Postpartum Birth Control - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is everyone doing in terms in BC now that the baby(ies) are here?

I plan to start back on the pill at my 4 week appointment. I know this may affect my bf'ing but I have VERY irregular cycles and have to be on them anyway.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#2 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Mineria IUD, it is so convenient and I used it twice before. I was talking to dh about vasectomy but that is sooo final. We are pretty sure that this will be it, but it is so hard to make that permanent with surgery.
#3 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM

We are going to do NFP. No drastic changes here (permanent or temporary BC). I have tried pills and had UID and they don't work well on me... they actually did more harm than anything else... Too many mood swings, skin break outs, weight gain, irregular or painful menstrual cycles, no thanks! We researched Vasectomy and decided to skip it as well, my husband has family history of Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases AND one of the reasons my husband supported me with No Circ our son was that he didn't wanted to get 'fixed' himself so why he would cut his son? I tried NFP for six years before deciding to have my first kid and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately I lost track of our NFP after my first and 3 kids later here I am We are planning to do it again with full force to avoid the need of artificial BC

Latina Mama of 3 and Wife of a great man since 1997
: : : : : : :
#4 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
What is everyone doing in terms in BC now that the baby(ies) are here?

I plan to start back on the pill at my 4 week appointment. I know this may affect my bf'ing but I have VERY irregular cycles and have to be on them anyway.
Yes it will. It may very well end any chances at breastfeeding. Why do you need to be on them just to regulate your cycles? If you aren't experiencing pain or other problems you don't need to have regular cycles.

If you do go on BC pills you should ask them about the low dose pills or perhaps the Nuva Ring.

We are relying on breastfeeding and then dh is getting a vasectomy in January.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Won't breastfeeding cause irregular cycles anyway? Adding artificial estrogen to the mix seems dangerous.

I've been casually looking into progesterone-only options since we absolutely want to have a significant spacing between kids and there are a few too many "no idea when I ovulated" younger siblings here at MDC to rely on NFP/LAM.
#6 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
and there are a few too many "no idea when I ovulated" younger siblings here at MDC to rely on NFP/LAM.
:

With DS we exclusively breastfed the first 6 months and I never had a period. After introducing solids like once a week, period came back full force. I think we just didn't dtd that much that first year to even actively be aware of birth control.
#7 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 PM

NFP. Absolutely no artificial hormones entering my body with the history of breast cancer in my family.
#8 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy View Post
NFP. Absolutely no artificial hormones entering my body with the history of breast cancer in my family.

Hear hear!!!
#9 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Any of course the longer your breastfeed the lower your chances of breast cancer.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#10 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 PM

I'll be on low dose ortho tri-cyclen while I breastfeed/pump. I used regular ortho tri-cyclen for eight years before I got pregnant, it cleared up my skin, evened out my moods, regulated my periods, made my period cramping stop (I was usually on the floor clutching a heating pad) and it never changed my weight. The man will get a vasectomy after our second child.

One of my co-workers breastfed and took the pill and still managed to get pregnant six months after she had her first. Makes me nervous.
#11 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
One of my co-workers breastfed and took the pill and still managed to get pregnant six months after she had her first. Makes me nervous.
That might have more to do with a newborn making her forget pills and take them at different times of day.
#12 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 PM

nothing not a thing i have enough hormons dont need anything extra

last time we were going to do the pull out method but that didnt work to well or worked 2 times then it just became a hassel lol and breastfeeding works great

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
#13 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 PM

no added hormones for this babe. bfing works really well for us, and if we're feeling careful we use non-hormonal solutions.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

#14 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I'll be on low dose ortho tri-cyclen while I breastfeed/pump.
I totally forgot about doing low doses of OTC. I'll have to mention that to my doctor.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#15 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
there are a few too many "no idea when I ovulated" younger siblings here at MDC to rely on NFP/LAM.

because it's tricky! There is a women center (where my mw has her offices) that offers NFP workshops. You need to be in tune with your body and hubby needs to be in tune with you too - it is not just a woman's task but your partner's as well! It is recommended to bring hubby to all these classes so both are in sync and learned how to do it together. I did it for 6 years and it is my mw's method as well. Her last kid is 8 years old It can be done!!!

#16 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 PM

We will use withdrawal until my cycle get more regular then back to FAM. We used withdrawal for 6-7 cycles during fertile times before ttc with success. The first time we tried and intentionally didn't pull-out we concieved Natalie so I feel pretty confident using that methods again.

I refuse to used hormones to prevent pregnancy ever again. They do bad things to my body and are not worth my breastfeeding relationship with DD.

''''

#17 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 PM

No hormonal BC for me, it doesn't do me well and I don't like taking it while nursing anyway. My old OB gave me the mini-pills to take when DS was nursing but I never took them.

I don't think we are ready for DH to get the big V yet, but I think it's somewhere in our future. So I guess until then it's condoms? Sucks, I know...but I don't know what else to do. I don't think I'm up for temping when not TTC. If we had an oops I'd be okay with that anyway

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

#18 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 PM

We used vcf - vaginal contraceptive film. It worked well for us since there isn't that much spontaneity after kids (cosleeping, bfing, etc) anyway. And it's effective after 15 minutes which means dh has to spend some time on foreplay so it's a win- win.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#19 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Any of course the longer your breastfeed the lower your chances of breast cancer.
Absolutely

Of course, it's a huge bummer to me that breastfeeding doesn't hold my cycle off for any length of time. 4mo post partum after both births ... and the second time I was exclusively nursing twins. Totally unfair, I tell you!
#20 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Absolutely

Of course, it's a huge bummer to me that breastfeeding doesn't hold my cycle off for any length of time. 4mo post partum after both births ... and the second time I was exclusively nursing twins. Totally unfair, I tell you!
That was me too. Exclusively bf ds, no pacis, on demand, many many overnight nursing session and still started my period 5 m pp. :

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#21 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM

I have had quite a few friends get pregnant while breastfeeding (and they were breastfeeding exclusively).

I don't know....I'm concerned about it too. I had never been on birth control...my husband and I went 7 years with the all natural combo of rythm and withdrawl...we never got pregnant until we tried (and we got lucky on first try!!). We got lucky though...some people seem to get pregnant just by thinking about sex!!! I hear though that cycles can be very irregular after birth and the rythm method is not as effective. Not sure what I will do. Birth control does not agree with me AT ALL!!!!
#22 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 PM

Shoot, I start my AF 6 weeks after each baby (exclusively BF'ing), and i usually bleed for 5.5 weeks PP. Sucks to be me! I got pregnant immediately after babes 1 & 2 (within 2 months), after baby #3 i got a mirena at 7weeks PP (which I don't recommend BtW, that thing has WAY more hormonal effect than they said it would) .

My husband is snipped now, but I don't recommend that either.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#23 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Barrier methods. I'm not a fan of the pill and I won't go back to FAM until after the first PP period.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#24 of 74 Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redebeth View Post

My husband is snipped now, but I don't recommend that either.
..just curious as to why not...
#25 of 74 Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 AM

Umm, I honestly didn't research it at all before he had it done. I had always heard it was safe and easy so I didn't question it. I sort of made him do it, too. My bad.

The thing is, they do it differently now than they used to. Now they cauterize the vas deferens (sp?) when they used to just snip and leave them open for the sperm to be absorbed into the body. One effect of cauterizing them is the sperm get backed up in the tube until it bursts, which can be very painful for some men. My husband seems to be one of those men. He had a lot of pain and swelling for a month or so afterward the procedure, and he periodically gets very swollen and achy. He just walked by and saw what I was writing and his words were "Tell them don't do it. They'll grow a third ball." Seriously, it's been since Dec. and it's still very much an issue.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#26 of 74 Old 08-23-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettymamma View Post
I have had quite a few friends get pregnant while breastfeeding (and they were breastfeeding exclusively).
there is a trick to that too! I asked this question once in the breastfeeding forums and they explained to me how they do the breastfeeding method. One of the points I remember is that you do need to have breastfed the baby (both breasts needed to be emptied) before dtd. The list in here at MDC somewhere, I'll find it when I get a chance...

#27 of 74 Old 08-23-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redebeth View Post
Umm, I honestly didn't research it at all before he had it done. I had always heard it was safe and easy so I didn't question it. I sort of made him do it, too. My bad.

The thing is, they do it differently now than they used to. Now they cauterize the vas deferens (sp?) when they used to just snip and leave them open for the sperm to be absorbed into the body. One effect of cauterizing them is the sperm get backed up in the tube until it bursts, which can be very painful for some men. My husband seems to be one of those men. He had a lot of pain and swelling for a month or so afterward the procedure, and he periodically gets very swollen and achy. He just walked by and saw what I was writing and his words were "Tell them don't do it. They'll grow a third ball." Seriously, it's been since Dec. and it's still very much an issue.
Thanks for sharing this - I hadn't had a chance to research it yet, either. Your poor husband
#28 of 74 Old 08-23-2008, 01:40 AM

Oh yeah and what about good old fashioned condoms? Why does everyone always seem to write those off?

They are cheaper then prescription BC, too.
#29 of 74 Old 08-23-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allborntogrow View Post
Oh yeah and what about good old fashioned condoms? Why does everyone always seem to write those off?

I totally agree on that!!! I even got a pack of these when I got my pregnancy test with this baby

#30 of 74 Old 08-23-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allborntogrow View Post

Personally, because they make sex feel different (for me) and it's not a good different. Even with lube, it's too uncomfortable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page