Should I Just Schedule a C Section? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 43 Old 08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
 
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: With Vin Diesel ;) YUMMMM
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She can insist but you can insist right back that you wont be induced like the others have said you do not have to agree to anything. It isnt like she can put a gun to your head and say show up.

If you dont want to be induced refuse it. They cannot take away her privaladges if you refuse. They can only do so if she makes it a habit of "letting" her patients go past the cut off point.

Sounds to me like she is bullying you a bit even though she says she wishes she could let you go past 42 weeks. She works for you not the other way around.

 
SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

MCatLvrMom2A&X is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 43 Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
 
loveandgarbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Thank you for these links.

My doctor is a family practitioner. She will lose her delivery privilages at the hospital if she lets me go past 42 weeks. Those are the rules. She told me that she would love to let me go longer, but she has to follow the hospitals rules. I want to keep her for the delivery instead of getting passed onto to an OB.
i understand wanting to keep your doctor because you know her and feel comfortable. but keep in mind that during your labor, you'll hardly see your doctor at all. she'll come in to check on you sporadically, and then be there to catch your baby. the nurses will be the ones who you see the most, and chances are, you haven't met any of them. just a thought!
i've been where you are now. i know how depressing it is to go past your due date, especially if you're feeling miserable/large/bloated, etc. i would do anything in my power to avoid a c-section. they are no fun to recover from, especially if you'll only have 4 weeks of maternity leave. good luck to you .

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

loveandgarbage is offline  
#33 of 43 Old 08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
 
ashley1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haven't read the above. i was induced and had a natural birth anyway (LONG labor but no c-section). There is no reason to believe that you'll end up with a c-section just because you're induced.

Sounds like you're knowledgable and that certainly increases your odds of birthing the way you want to.

42 weeks is not unusual, most agree that is a deadline that you should follow.
ashley1972 is offline  
#34 of 43 Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
 
Katielady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 2,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Saw this in new posts, barging from November DDC)

I think you should do a lot of research and reading about different induction methods and see which sound the most tolerable to you. One common method is cervidil overnight to ripen the cervix, then pitocin starting the next morning. As many PPs have said, not all inductions end in c-section. Don't let them break your water, since it puts you on the clock and has not really been proven to "move things along," especially when done early.

For what it's worth, my first client as a doula was an induction, and although it wasn't what she wanted it went really well and was a beautiful natural labor and vaginal birth.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Katielady is offline  
#35 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
 
glendora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not in your DDC, but I just wanted to let you know that my sister was induced last week, and she had her second vaginal birth by induction. An induction isn't just shorthand for emergency c/s. Really.
glendora is offline  
#36 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM
 
PassionateWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendora View Post
Not in your DDC, but I just wanted to let you know that my sister was induced last week, and she had her second vaginal birth by induction. An induction isn't just shorthand for emergency c/s. Really.

it may not be in many cases, but in many more it is unfortunately the first step along the way to a c/s. Im not saying it always is...but it is good to realize that your risks of a c/s do increase w/ an induction.

im glad your sister was able to birth vaginally and avoid a c/s. I just see so many times where that is not the case.
PassionateWriter is offline  
#37 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 07:48 PM
 
glendora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
it may not be in many cases, but in many more it is unfortunately the first step along the way to a c/s. Im not saying it always is...but it is good to realize that your risks of a c/s do increase w/ an induction.

im glad your sister was able to birth vaginally and avoid a c/s. I just see so many times where that is not the case.
Thanks for that.

Speaking of risk, you know what will 100% guarantee a c/s?

Scheduling one.
glendora is offline  
#38 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 PM
 
dawn1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Squanderville
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to barge, saw this in new posts.

I just wanted to say I was induced at 42 weeks and I did not have a section. I did the cervidil and got to 4 cm before I needed pitocin.

You can still have a good birth with an induction. You have already decided what you want to do. Trust your instincts.

If you are thinking the induction is the way to go whether or not you end up with a section, then I think you should just schedule it.

It seems like it is very important to have your own doctor deliver your baby regardless of the outcome (section after induction or not).
dawn1221 is offline  
#39 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
 
wonderwahine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: wi fi didnt do it!
Posts: 9,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a sucessful induction at 41weeks, i wasnt more then a fingertip dialated, only 50% effaced and still had a high cervix. Ds was born 26rs after i signed into the hospital for my induction. I never once had anyone suggest a c/s, I controled when I went on pit and when i got my epi (i didnt do it until after midnight, and i was already past 5cm by then) and they let me labor down as i slept with my epi. When they checked me after 5hrs of sleeping, ds was at +2 station and we had to wait for the OB to arrive.

so all I can say is try, and really, a c/s after trying the induction isnt the end of the world, and the trial of labor is actually benificial to your infants lungs.
wonderwahine is offline  
#40 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 PM
 
marybethorama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western MD
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My water broke, there was no sign of labor, so I was induced with Cervadil.

It worked really well and I delivered a few hours later.

My recovery was incredible. I felt so good (and so relieved not to be pregnant anymore)

I was afraid after my first induction (which did lead to a c-section) but it ended up going really well.
marybethorama is offline  
#41 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 08:29 PM
 
bri276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
another successful induction chiming in. labor is good for your baby EVEN if it does end in c-section. and you do not have to agree to a c-section for "failure to progress". You do not have to agree to have your waters broken, or any other unnecessary procedures. You can try the induction, and, if no dilation is happening, you can say "I'm leaving" and go home and wait for natural labor or try another day. You are in control. Not the hospital, and not the doctor. If you don't want this induction, you don't have to get it. I think that it's very untrue that your md will lose privileges at the hospital for a PATIENT refusing an induction. Do what you want and what feels right to you but don't give up on a vaginal birth because of someone else's rules or fear.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
bri276 is offline  
#42 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 PM
 
leerypolyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it's not she's saying that the doctor loses privileges for one patient refusing an induction, it's that the doctor then won't be able to attend the patient in the capacity as her doctor. And if the doctor DID try to do that, she could lose privileges. Which is pretty common, and yes, I would believe that, since it's policy a lot of places for non-OB doctors and midwives.

I went to 42 weeks, 1 day, and here's what we did as a "home induction" so that I wouldn't need to transfer care (and lose a chance at homebirth) from my midwives:

-Castor oil (this was the THIRD TIME -- it is worth trying again! I took a lot, 4 ounces(!), very early in the morning)
-amniotomy once the castor oil started causing ctx (that was what really got things going)
-baby was definitely on the far side of well-done! This was NOT a case of baby just needing to stay in longer.
-btw I never had any ctx without the castor oil. First couple times, it gave me prodromal labor but that was it.
-pm if you want more details.

It's more interventive than just waiting, of course, but it was preferable to the pitocin route for me. Sometimes a small intervention can save you a larger one down the road.

Someone upthread did make a good point, though -- your doctor usually spends very little time with you in labor. Unless you feel like she'll be the lone guardian of your birthing integrity, it might not be the end of the world to give yourself a few more days. But you have options -- whether to induce or not to, what methods to use for induction, etc.
leerypolyp is offline  
#43 of 43 Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 PM
 
turtlewomyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not in your due date, but your title caught my eye.

I scheduled a c-section because I was told my baby was too big and I regret it all the time (I wasn't even offered an induction).

I had a friend who was diagnosed with pre-E at 38 weeks. No dilation, no effacement, nothing. She was induced, used her hypnobirthing, had a doula, and had a no-pain med vaginal birth.

There are decent inductions out there.
turtlewomyn is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off