Katherine Joy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, this is a little late, and very long, but here it goes...

Our newest family member made her way to us on an absolutely beautiful Sunday afternoon on the last day of August. It was sunny with a slight breeze, warm but not hot, just perfect. I had been having regular contractions for days, about 4 minutes apart but not getting stronger or closer together. I had been doing every thing i could think of to get the labor to come together because i was 15 days past my EDD. I was taking homeopathics, and walking alot and making my husband a very happy man with daily prostaglandin doses. In fact, it was one of these doses that finally seemed to get the ball rolling!

The contractions were still only 4 minutes apart for most of my labor, but they finally started getting uncomfortable around lunchtime on the 31st. I don't think the kids ever actually ate lunch that day. I called my doulas around 1 pm and my midwives soon after that. Everyone got here soon after that, around 2 or so, right in time for my contractions to start getting GOOD. We hung out in the living room, I was leaning on the birth ball, on my knees, for most of my contractions, and my wonderful doulas would take turns rubbing my lower back and gosh that sure feels wonderful!

My husband was filling the birth tub through all of this, and around 3pm it was ready. My midwife asked me if I wanted to get in, and I said yes, then she checked me just to make sure we were getting somewhere. She pronounced me between a 6 and a 7, so I happily climbed in, knowing it wouldn't be long. I love that feeling when I first get into the tub. Such relief!
My 8 year old was coming in and out of the room during all this being very cool and funny. Our 2 and 3 year olds were down napping (thankfully cause it was really intense).

I labored in the tub for about half an hour and started feeling pushy. I was checked again, and I was almost complete except for this gnarly cervical lip. I felt it myself and it was very intimidating, but my midwife just said 'it'll go away, they always do'. After awhile we tried having her pushing it back manually while I pushed through contractions. That hurt! Right around then my husband, who had been doing so good, looked into my eyes and said 'it's not that bad' very gently, like a complete idiot. I told him to get the hell out of my face RIGHT NOW, and apologized a little later for that. But anyhow, it seemed to work cause she moved down, and a couple of pushes later she was crowning. Her head came out and then my contractions stopped for what felt like forever. So i am just kneeling there in the water with my baby's head sticking out underwater waiting for a contraction. This was not my plan! So finally I said screw the contraction and just pushed her shoulders out with all my might. She was born at 4:11 pm into my hands.

I brought her to the surface and held her for probably 3 or 4 minutes before I thought to check her sex! I turned her over a little and saw that we had a baby girl! I was so happy, and she was so perfect with great Apgars and a great cry. Which went on for about 1/2 an hour which was different, but, well, she had been really comfortable! She stopped after a while and calmed down, and I pushed to get the placenta out because it didn't come out as quickly as usual. She latched on around then, started nursing, and hasn't stopped since.

I was really exhausted and pale, it really wiped me out. I usually feel great afterwards, but this time felt rougher. We weighed her after a few hours and she was 9lbs 8 ozs so maybe that's why. I didn't even feel like having any champagne! I had crazy afterpains, passed a clot the size of my foot and felt much better after that. I also tore a little, which i wasn't expecting, and chickened out of stitches. Everyone cleaned up, which always amazes me how much those women get done without me even noticing. I was in such a baby haze, she was all I could see. Next thing I know, the tub was gone, the towels were in the dryer and it was all done.

My last baby. Katherine Joy.:

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 AM

congrats!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 AM

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM

Congratulations! Many blessings to you and your new family!:

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..Sadly miss my dearest son T.J that passed 1/19/2014 forever in my heart!

User Tag List