Does anyone have experience with reflux? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted under LWAB but no replies so I thought I'd try here in case other August moms are having similar issues...

My 6 week old has a lot of mucus and phelm - I noticed it starting around 3 weeks old and it has not improved. She snorts and gargles and occasionally has labored breathing because of the volume of mucus.

The ped said it sounded like reflux but she doesn't spit up too much - maybe just 3 or 4 times per week. She is not sick, its not a cold and she is generally a happy baby. We sleep with a humidifier in the room and I've been using saylene spray and a bulb syringe which the ped tells me to stop using since it inflames the nasal passages making it harder to breathe...

He says to elevate her bed but I'm not sure how much - she is in a positioner and I put a little inclined wedge under her but it only goes up about 3 inches at the highest point.

Doc wants to give it until her two month check-up and see if she has improved. If not he is advising me to eliminate dairy. He says that one-third of reflux is caused by dairy allergy.

Does this sound like reflux to you? I'm confused because she isn't spitting up very much. If it is caused by dairy allergy is that something she'll grow out of or is that a lifelong allergy? What else could all this mucus be?

TIA
#2 of 2 Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please post to the thread in LWAB, here.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page