Pacifier use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who's guilty?

I am. . . .

Dd1 never liked it. But dd2 seems to enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 PM

I tried to give the baby one . . .

He actually didn't seem to care for it. The way I see it, if there aren't any issues with the nursing and the baby just seems to like to suck, there's really nothing wrong with pacifiers. I know a lot of other people will disagree, though!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:18 PM

We have to use it in the car. She hates her carseat but will tolerate it if she has a pacifier. The way she sucks on it though it constantly falls out so I have to drive with one arm back holding it in place. Its actually really painful and I need to see my chiropractor for an adjustment.

I hope that like my other kids the carseat gets better once she's in a convertible. I put her in the convertible today in fact to see if she'd fit and the straps are still about 1/2" to high.

The other babies never took a pacifier, well ds did but only for a week.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 AM

DD won't take one, we tried several kinds. I wanted her to be able to have it in the car. She screams bloody murder when she is awake in the car. We moved her from the bucket to a convertible seat. No real change. Sigh...

''''

Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 AM

We're partially guilty as well. When we came home from the hospital he'd scream bloody murder during diaper changes (and they go a lot!) so we'd plug him up. He's fine with diaper changes now, but he hates riding in his carseat as well. Oh, and if DH has to watch him, I sometimes come home to find DS sucking on his paci. It's just for soothing when I can't nurse him basically. My DS#2 is a thumbsucker and we still can't break him of it, so I don't want DS#3 to get addicted, lol.

SAHM to 3 boys ages 10, 7, and 3.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Guilty!
I never wanted to use one-was glad when my eldest didn't want it. Rowan just wants to suck all the time, so it's been a lifesaver. I hate him sucking on a hunk of plastic, but he's happier. The only issue I have is with older kids-like 3 year olds, with them in their mouths all day. Rowan spits it out within a few minutes of falling asleep, so I hope it's just a short phase! He's trying to suck his hands too.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 AM

Actually researchers were surprised to find out that babies that suck pacifiers during sleep had an even lower risk of SIDS. Plus anything that soothes healthily is a good thing! Hugs mamas!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysam View Post
Actually researchers were surprised to find out that babies that suck pacifiers during sleep had an even lower risk of SIDS. Plus anything that soothes healthily is a good thing! Hugs mamas!
Its not sucking pacifiers but simply sucking that lowers SIDS. Its an important reason we cosleep so that she can nurse all night if she wants.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:42 PM

I only give it to Kendall is he's fussy or whining or inthe middle of his sleep, sinceI'm not breastfeeding anymore. Other than that, I don'tlet him have it too much.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 PM

I call the pacifier "daddy's nipple." Don't tell DH I call it that, though.

Basically- I never wanted to use it and I pretty much forbade them. I didn't have any in the house and DH really wanted one for some reason. He complained about it to his mom, who bought her some. So now every time I give Evelynn to DH for him to take care of her, she ends up with the pacifier in her mouth. I hated it at first (I felt kind of replaced in a way IYKWIM), but I've gotten used to it.

I give it to her now only right after she nurses if I put her down to sleep because she's really noisy otherwise (not crying- just grunting and sighing a lot). I'd give it to her when she's in her car seat if she need it it but she LOVES her car seat (I even use it just as a place to put her while I'm cooking, etc.) so that's not a problem.

I don't really see a problem with it. It's better than sucking on a hand. It's just that for me, personally, I just don't like being replaced by a plastic nipple.

BTW- I really wish I could co-sleep. I've been trying since she was born but I just can't get used to it.

OK now I'm just rambling...

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 PM

We got some as presents from my MIL because ds loved them, but we ended up with some serious nipple confusion issues. So far, dd is pretty darn content in comparison, so I haven't felt desperate enough to bust open that package yet.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 AM

DS won't take one, he loves to suck though, so I'm pretty much nursing him all day! My dd never took one and ended up sucking her thumb until she was 2. My ds1 would take one occasionally, when he felt the need to suck, but gave them up really easily before a year old. So this babe does not like them and has found his thumb a few times, so we'll see if he is a thumb sucker too!

TF, BF, CD, HS, AP'ing Mama!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM

Third day pp mil told me "he'll take a paci" I told her kindly that that wasn't what he needed, my breast was. A week or so later I purchased one : and he sucked happily on it. It seems to help him sleep better too. :

I was against it's use totally with dd, until much later in her life for a few reasons, but I still feel "bad" even having one in the house or if other people see me try and give it to him, like I'm an out of touch mom or something I guess that what I subconsciously associate them with.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Crashing in from DEC DD...

I used a paci with my DD and will with every one of my kids. Me personally...I think it is harder to break a thumb than a paci. JMO
Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post
Crashing in from DEC DD...

I used a paci with my DD and will with every one of my kids. Me personally...I think it is harder to break a thumb than a paci. JMO
Eleanor is the first of our four we're using a paci with and it's because of the thumb issue. Two of our older three were extreme thumb-suckers (one of the twins still is, actually). When the new baby went rooting for her thumbs, we decided to give a paci a try instead.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM

I was against it at first...had a home birth didn't buy any.

Then after the birth Ben had to go to the NICU and they asked, I still refused but gave in a short while later.

I talked to the Lac Consultant at the hospital later and she stated "It's actually cruel not to allow a NICU baby the comfort of a paci."

I agree with that and see the comfort Ben recieved in being able to suck...since I could not nurse him the first 2 days.

Since then he has hated the hospital paci and we bought a different brand, for the most part he only takes it from dh or dd. He know moms has better stuff so he seldom takes it for me

JennP
Old 10-04-2008, 12:38 AM

What's bad about paci's? I didn't want DS to use one first cause I was afraid of nipple confusion. well, he had one at day two after birth. With DD we gave her the paci from the get go and she don't really care for it but when she is tired, she'll take it and suck on it. No nipple confusion and they seem a lot quiter. I think it is harder to get rid of thumb sucking than a paci. Just my 2 cents.

joy.gif
Old 10-04-2008, 03:36 PM

I am way too afraid of nipple confusion to do that.

I am however, the pacifier! LOL

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Old 10-05-2008, 12:17 AM

My DS likes to have his pacifier; not all the time, but it definitely soothes him. I am EBF and I have no problem giving babe a paci. It soothes him, he has no nipple confusion, and he spits it out if he doesn't want it. I don't think moms should feel guilty because their babes enjoy the paci, nor should they feel "out of touch" for using one. I consider myself a pretty forward thinking, non "mainstream" mom and I don't feel that allowing a paci is a big deal at all, if your babe finds comfort in it.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:53 AM

I'm guilty... but actually don't give it to her often. We gave it to her a few times and she wouldn't take it or just spit it right back out. Then DH comes home from deployment and sticks one in her mouth... and she takes it without a problem. *shrug*

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Lina's pacifier is my pinkie knuckle. She won't suck on it for long if she's hungry, but it helps take the edge off the weird butt sensations when she needs to poop and it's infinitely easier to put in her mouth when holding her over the toilet. I try to limit the use though since sucking away from the breast doesn't help her immune system and doesn't suppress my fertility.

Can you tell your babies' expressions when they use a paci? With the kids I know who used pacis regularly I could never tell if they were smiling or frowning or anything when they had the paci in. Sort of the Maggie Simpson effect.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM

heck yeah iam using one and i love it lol

my first never took one and just nursed all the time my poor boobs lol

this baby gets mad if i offer the boob when not hungry but at night he doesnt really take it

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06, Kareem 8-23-08, and Baby #3 due May 19th 2011
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qalliope View Post
We got some as presents from my MIL because ds loved them, but we ended up with some serious nipple confusion issues. So far, dd is pretty darn content in comparison, so I haven't felt desperate enough to bust open that package yet.
My ds takes one occasionally. I never gave my ds1 one so I am wondering what nipple confusion would look like. I don't think he is confused but I am wondering.
He has a high need to suck. But I refuse to let anyone else give it to him. I hate seeing people trying to shove them in babies' mouths at any noise - my mil especially and like pp I hate seeing seemingly fine babes plugged up..

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 10-24-2008, 03:29 PM

I tried a paci because there are times (many times ) when Evie cries hysterically and nothing helps - not even the boob. But, she wouldn't take it, not even when calm.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 AM

I would give Mara a pacifier if I could figure out how to help her take it. She really likes to suck--long past the point of nourishment--and I think we could eliminate most of her remaining spit-up issues if she had an option other than the boob. For those of you who use them, did your LOs just get it right away? Or did you do anything in particular to help them learn to keep it in the mouth?

Mama to DD : 09/08

User Tag List