finally Mary's birth story. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mary’s birth Story

On Monday August 18, I went into to see Pam my midwife. I was almost 41 weeks pregnant and just plain tired! School would be starting soon and Dh would be back at work. I wasnt’ sleeping well and the indisgestion was making my healthy diet not so healthy.

I dropped the kids off at mom’s house and my sister and I (along with her 2 month old daughter) went to see the midwife. There I was checked and only 2 cm dialted. How frustrating! She said that I was all mushy inside and felt like warm pudding, the baby was at an O station.

So she reamed me. Ouch! My sister and I went back to mom’s house. The contratctions started right away. They felt like braxton Hicks. They were bearable. I was enjoying spending time with my mom and sister andt the kids were playing outside. We decided to time them. We were suprised that they were 5 mnutes apart and lasting for a minute. True to my promise to Pam, I called her to tell her of my progress. She immedietly told me to go home orI would be having the baby at my mom’s house. If the contractions got any closer while driving to my house, I was to turn around and go back to mom’s house.

I left the boys with my mom. My sister and I headed to my house. ON the ay there I called Dh and told him to clean up and blow up the pool. I think it was 2:30 when I arrived home. Not long after Jennifer (midwife in training) arrived. She started to set up everything. Then Pam and Allison (Allison is also in training but both she and Jennifer are doulas). arrived.

I had contractions, Dh ran to the store for sanwiches (my chicken enchiladas that I had made for labor were frozen solid) We ate, joked, I had my contractions. Then, they petered out. Nothing.

So everyone (but mom) went home. I was so embarrassed. I was especially embarrassed because Allison had just gotten off a previous birth and was so tired, only to be sent home!

At 1:30 in the morning I was having cramps. I went to the bathroom. I believed these were just normal “poopy cramps”. My back was hurting and the “cramps” continued. I got into a warm hsower and let the water beat on my back. Dh woke up and I toldhim to fill the pool. While he was adding hot water to the pool. Mom came in. Th econtractions were coming faster 3 or 4 mnutes apart and lasting 2 minutes. They wanted to call Pam, but I was so embarrassed that this might be a false alarm that I wanted to wait to make sure this was going to be it.

Fortunately neither my mom nor Jeff listend to me and they called. She arrived at 2:15.

My body started pushing in the pool. The pool water was too cool and Ihad to get out or risk having the baby take a breath in the water ( I didn’t know that a baby will take a breath if the water is too cold. It makes sense though. I wasnt’ planning on a water birth anywyas. I just didn’t want to move while in so much pain.)

Quickly I got out of the pool and redressed before another contraction came and topped me in my tracks! I was standing by the bed and my body pushed. A chux pad was thrown under me.

I was able to get into bed. I don’t know when the other midwives arrived. The contractions were intense and close. I know I did say that the next baby was going to be born in a hospital and I was going to get an epidurnal! ha!

Before I knew it, I was pushing and out came Mary (after three boys!). Born under the veil. A very healthy 9.6 lb baby girl!

Recovery after Mary hasn’t been so good. I did bleed alot and passed out several times. I have a tendency to bleed alot after births.

It was found that I had a velementous placenta. http://www.vasaprevia.com/vasaprevia/velamentous.htm

Thank goodnedss midwifes are handsoff. If my membranes were ruptured the baby could of died (because of the velementous placenta). If she had done cord traction I could of bled to death.

The labor to me was quick and hard. The recvery has been slow.

It has been almost 6 weeks and I am feel pretty darn good. Still working on dropping the weight. But getting into a routine again. Finally, I am enjoying my own cooking again. Mary is such a sweetie, smiles readily and loves to be held.
#2 of 3 Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Bleeding after is hard. Take it easy on yourself and remember you need to recoup.

Hope you are feeling better and enjoy your little girl.

JennP
#3 of 3 Old 10-05-2008, 01:52 AM

Congratulations mama! :

Also, thank goodness for the wisdom of midwives, I'm so glad everything worked out the way it should!

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page